August 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Re: August 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by Roberts Creeker »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm Reached an afternoon high of 22.5c with a low of 16.5c on my new official accurate Ecowitt weather station. And now with no interuption from sir Grumpy here is the unveiling of my new contraption.😎 I got a couple of poles for a chain link fence from Home Depot I drilled a couple holes to make it a telescopic pole to lower if I need to get at the weather station I used a couple of bolts with wing nuts to make it easier to remove the pole. My station is 20 feet in the air and it clears the roof tops around here for the utmost in accurate wind speed. I can publish to Weatherunderground or Cloud or WOW if I wish it is also a wifi station. For now I can log in using the website for my current conditions when I'm away from the house, I checked the reviews and found Ecowitt and Ambient Weather had good reviews but went with Ecowitt for the compact size of the station. Seems very accurate which is what matters most.
Nice setup Sardineman! :clap: :clap: I'm looking forward to your very accurate reports!

Did you mark out 1' increments on your 20' pole to measure all the snow we're getting this winter? :lol:

Go :team: snow! Love how it's only August and we've already moved on to snow!
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm Reached an afternoon high of 22.5c with a low of 16.5c on my new official accurate Ecowitt weather station. And now with no interuption from sir Grumpy here is the unveiling of my new contraption.😎 I got a couple of poles for a chain link fence from Home Depot I drilled a couple holes to make it a telescopic pole to lower if I need to get at the weather station I used a couple of bolts with wing nuts to make it easier to remove the pole. My station is 20 feet in the air and it clears the roof tops around here for the utmost in accurate wind speed. I can publish to Weatherunderground or Cloud or WOW if I wish it is also a wifi station. For now I can log in using the website for my current conditions when I'm away from the house, I checked the reviews and found Ecowitt and Ambient Weather had good reviews but went with Ecowitt for the compact size of the station. Seems very accurate which is what matters most.
Nice. Is the temp gauge 20ft off the ground too? If so, that’s too high for good readings but you have to make compromises with these things. Being higher, you obviously get better wind readings but when it’s really windy you might see a dip in rainfall accuracy if the rain is blown sideways
North end of Shawnigan Lake. Southern Vancouver island. 500ft
tyweather
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by tyweather »

The snow is coming down in northern BC.

Why not try cycling to work, grocery store, anywhere!
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Monty wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm Nice. Is the temp gauge 20ft off the ground too? If so, that’s too high for good readings but you have to make compromises with these things. Being higher, you obviously get better wind readings but when it’s really windy you might see a dip in rainfall accuracy if the rain is blown sideways
Yes the temp. sensor is underneath the rain gauge l've had the station up 2 days now and the temperature is bang on with my north facing thermometer which is 4 feet off the ground. I also have my manual rain gauge which is 2 feet off the ground so will see once we get some heavy weather. They also have a unit with separate componets but Amazon doesn't carry it right now. You can order the seperate components through their web site and they ship to Canada. Maybe a future idea. I'm looking at bird spikes for the rain gauge.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

tyweather wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm The snow is coming down in northern BC.

Thats just insanely awesome!
CYCW station
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:19 pm Yes the temp. sensor is underneath the rain gauge l've had the station up 2 days now and the temperature is bang on with my north facing thermometer which is 4 feet off the ground. I also have my manual rain gauge which is 2 feet off the ground so will see once we get some heavy weather. They also have a unit with separate componets but Amazon doesn't carry it right now. You can order the seperate components through their web site and they ship to Canada. Maybe a future idea. I'm looking at bird spikes for the rain gauge.
It’s a nice looking monitor.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 pm Nice setup Sardineman! :clap: :clap: I'm looking forward to your very accurate reports!

Did you mark out 1' increments on your 20' pole to measure all the snow we're getting this winter? :lol:

Go :team: snow! Love how it's only August and we've already moved on to snow!
:lol: great idea.
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Monty wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 pm It’s a nice looking monitor.
Yeah . If you noticed in the upper right hand corner is the internet connection no need for separate components to connect online. You can also use an SD card with the monitor to download the latest firmware. Its the laest thing nowadays Davis needs to come out with this too.
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Groovy , far out man. It's about time you came out of the woodwork with your invention. Your contraption has some similarities to slytyguy. Where's the Hawk alert radar screen? You need a screen with a video clip of Tattoo from fantasy island warning us , da hawk,da hawk,da hawk , and another one for da blob,da blob,da blob.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 pm Groovy , far out man. It's about time you came out of the woodwork with your invention. Your contraption has some similarities to slytyguy. Where's the Hawk alert radar screen? You need a screen with a video clip of Tattoo from fantasy island warning us , da hawk,da hawk,da hawk , and another one for da blob,da blob,da blob.
:lol: l thought slyty guy was never to be seen or heard from Hawk is too noisy and Jr. lets us know Bob the Blob's position all winter.
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

On an interesting side note l have not seen many mosquitoes nor have l been bitten at all by one this summer neither has any of my family members. Thats just weird indeed, anyone else notice the lack of mosquitoes this summer?
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CYCW station
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:26 pm On an interesting side note l have not seen many mosquitoes nor have l been bitten at all by one this summer neither has any of my family members weird indeed. Anyone else notice the lack of mosquitoes this Summer?
There are a few mosquitoes over here but not too bad. The wasps seem to be terrible this year.
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

Monty wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 pm The wasps seem to be terrible this year.
I’ve noticed that too. Yet another reason I dislike summer.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Slytyguy
Weather Tracker
Weather Tracker
Elevation: 21 m

Post by Slytyguy »

Hey im still around, spending most of my time swatting wasps away camping as well. Fall sounds like it may start early this year, bring on the storms!!! Enjoy the rest of summer :)
Last edited by Slytyguy on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Sardis #greatdaytobeaduck
Antares
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 5m

Post by Antares »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:26 pm On an interesting side note l have not seen many mosquitoes nor have l been bitten at all by one this summer neither has any of my family members weird indeed. Anyone else notice the lack of mosquitoes this Summer?
Quite the opposite experience for me. I've been bitten quite a bit this summer. Previous few summers, not one bite.

Maybe I brought a few back from Yellowknife? :x
It always snows in December in the Kootenays :clap: