May 2020 Forecasts and Discussion

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Re: May 2020 Forecasts and Discussion

Post by Glacier »

Environment Canada continues their slide... They can't even follow their own guidelines on what constitutes a heat warning. Yes, Ottawa (+31 and +32) should be under a heat warning as should Montreal (41 on the Humidex), but much of southern Ontario from Toronto south should not be!
heatwarningnew2-2.png
heatwarningont.png
son_e.png
What the heck is up with warning when it's not that hot by Ontario standards. It says that 3 days of 37 on the Humidex means you get a warning. Huh?
heatwarningott.png
And near 30 or Toronto?
heatwarningtor.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 3 Ft

Post by Weather101 »

Saturday night having a small outdoor birthday bbq, Anyone can take a guess if it will rain? Looks like it might
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠
tyweather
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by tyweather »

Glacier wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:35 am Environment Canada continues their slide... They can't even follow their own guidelines on what constitutes a heat warning. Yes, Ottawa (+31 and +32) should be under a heat warning as should Montreal (41 on the Humidex), but much of southern Ontario from Toronto south should not be!
heatwarningnew2-2.png
heatwarningont.png
son_e.png

What the heck is up with warning when it's not that hot by Ontario standards. It says that 3 days of 37 on the Humidex means you get a warning. Huh?
heatwarningott.png
And near 30 or Toronto?
heatwarningtor.png
Different rules apply for early and late season episodes?
Why not try cycling to work, grocery store, anywhere!
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Glacier wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 pm Arg, Environment Canada is going from bad to worse. Both Penticton and Kamloops have a lot of missing data this month. In fact, I don't either station has been this bad in over 100 years. Keep in mind, these are by FAR the most reliable thermometers in the southern interior for tracking climate change and such. How on earth do two stations 200km apart glitch at the exact same time for two weeks straight? Like seriously, how does the precipitation go down at both stations on the 11th, then come online again for the 12th, and then off since then? Plus, temperature glitching equally matches! Is this like how a fire a few years ago in Ottawa destroyed records in BC because they were all stored in the same spot with no backups?

My Davis weather station hasn't missed a day since I installed in 2012 (except for when one of the kids unplugged it for a week, and I didn't notice until the backup batteries ran out), but EC can't keep a $100,000 weather station going?

EDIT: Wow, SAME THING for Cranbrook! What the F!!!

Basically, precipitation is no longer measured in the southern interior (several other stations were recently downgraded, including Princeton.
Nav Canada has downgraded some stations due to COVID-19 budget cuts. The cuts are to selected manned stations that previously operated 24 hours a day, which are now closed between 10 pm and 6 am.

Not all manned stations were affected... major ones like Vancouver and Abbotsford are still operational 24 hours.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

It's gonna be warm and probably stormy after that...

MT8_Vancouver_Kanada_ens.png
mgram_Vancouver.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

Weather101 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am Saturday night having a small outdoor birthday bbq, Anyone can take a guess if it will rain? Looks like it might
Rain? Why stop at mere rain? C’mon, go for thunder and lightning!
It's called clown range for a reason.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

Glacier wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 pm Arg, Environment Canada is going from bad to worse. Both Penticton and Kamloops have a lot of missing data this month. In fact, I don't either station has been this bad in over 100 years. Keep in mind, these are by FAR the most reliable thermometers in the southern interior for tracking climate change and such. How on earth do two stations 200km apart glitch at the exact same time for two weeks straight? Like seriously, how does the precipitation go down at both stations on the 11th, then come online again for the 12th, and then off since then? Plus, temperature glitching equally matches! Is this like how a fire a few years ago in Ottawa destroyed records in BC because they were all stored in the same spot with no backups?

My Davis weather station hasn't missed a day since I installed in 2012 (except for when one of the kids unplugged it for a week, and I didn't notice until the backup batteries ran out), but EC can't keep a $100,000 weather station going?

EDIT: Wow, SAME THING for Cranbrook! What the F!!!

Basically, precipitation is no longer measured in the southern interior (several other stations were recently downgraded, including Princeton.
The odds of it being due to mere coincidence are minuscule. Either all the stations are running the same buggy firmware (is this happening to other stations in other parts of Canada?), or it’s a bug on the server that the data are being sent to.
It's called clown range for a reason.
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Weather101 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 am Saturday night having a small outdoor birthday bbq, Anyone can take a guess if it will rain? Looks like it might
Probably gonna start raining in the afternoon or evening, possibly heavy. Maybe a rumble or two of thunder but I suspect the storms will mostly blow up and then burn themselves out over Oregon. We might get some table scraps if we’re lucky.
North end of Shawnigan Lake. Southern Vancouver island. 500ft
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Monty wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 am Probably gonna start raining in the afternoon or evening, possibly heavy. Maybe a rumble or two of thunder but I suspect the storms will mostly blow up and then burn themselves out over Oregon. We might get some table scraps if we’re lucky.
That's a shame, I haven't been in a decent t-storm for a good while.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

I do like some rain in Spring summer. I like it cool, I like the growth here on the farm.

But why is it constantly dry during the week and wet on weekends?? I swear we've seen this for a number of years now. I know its a complete coincidence but its becoming a little tiresome. Hopefully the forecast changes for Sunday and it sticks to raining just overnight.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

Monty wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 am Probably gonna start raining in the afternoon or evening, possibly heavy. Maybe a rumble or two of thunder but I suspect the storms will mostly blow up and then burn themselves out over Oregon. We might get some table scraps if we’re lucky.
Damn. Thanks for the reply, Fingers crossed it can hold off till late overnight.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 am I do like some rain in Spring summer. I like it cool, I like the growth here on the farm.

But why is it constantly dry during the week and wet on weekends?? I swear we've seen this for a number of years now. I know its a complete coincidence but its becoming a little tiresome. Hopefully the forecast changes for Sunday and it sticks to raining just overnight.
I agree it’s annoying
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

Absolutely insane in Quebec.

John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast