May 2020 Forecasts and Discussion

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: May 2020 Forecasts and Discussion

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:42 am Our little heat wave later this week has evaporated on all the models. :thumbdown:
That's shocking. I cant recall a heat wave suffering the same fate as most of our modelled arctic blasts. I'm assuming a good warm stretch is still in the cards.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

PortKells wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:50 pm That's shocking. I cant recall a heat wave suffering the same fate as most of our modelled arctic blasts. I'm assuming a good warm stretch is still in the cards.
Still supposed to be significantly warmer later this week, just not as insanely warm as once forecast.
It's called clown range for a reason.
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

Rubus_Leucodermis wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:25 pm Still supposed to be significantly warmer later this week, just not as insanely warm as once forecast.
Oh yeah! It's still warm... :thumbup:

mgram_Vancouver.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Canada Goose wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:28 pm Oh yeah! It's still warm... :thumbup:

mgram_Vancouver.png
Only for 3 days then back to rain. :lol:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Rubus_Leucodermis wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:25 pm Still supposed to be significantly warmer later this week, just not as insanely warm as once forecast.
Perfect for my 4 day off rotation. :thumbup:
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:50 pm That's shocking. I cant recall a heat wave suffering the same fate as most of our modelled arctic blasts. I'm assuming a good warm stretch is still in the cards.
Yup still pleasant Kells just not a Goose approve melt your socks off insane heat. :thumbup:
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Typeing3 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:42 am Our little heat wave later this week has evaporated on all the models. :thumbdown:
Just a comfortable stretch T3 all good.
CYCW station
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Arg, Environment Canada is going from bad to worse. Both Penticton and Kamloops have a lot of missing data this month. In fact, I don't either station has been this bad in over 100 years. Keep in mind, these are by FAR the most reliable thermometers in the southern interior for tracking climate change and such. How on earth do two stations 200km apart glitch at the exact same time for two weeks straight? Like seriously, how does the precipitation go down at both stations on the 11th, then come online again for the 12th, and then off since then? Plus, temperature glitching equally matches! Is this like how a fire a few years ago in Ottawa destroyed records in BC because they were all stored in the same spot with no backups?

My Davis weather station hasn't missed a day since I installed in 2012 (except for when one of the kids unplugged it for a week, and I didn't notice until the backup batteries ran out), but EC can't keep a $100,000 weather station going?

EDIT: Wow, SAME THING for Cranbrook! What the F!!!

Basically, precipitation is no longer measured in the southern interior (several other stations were recently downgraded, including Princeton.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Look away T3...
gfs_apcpn_nwus_64-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antares
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 5m

Post by Antares »

Glacier wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 pm Arg, Environment Canada is going from bad to worse. Both Penticton and Kamloops have a lot of missing data this month. In fact, I don't either station has been this bad in over 100 years. Keep in mind, these are by FAR the most reliable thermometers in the southern interior for tracking climate change and such. How on earth do two stations 200km apart glitch at the exact same time for two weeks straight? Like seriously, how does the precipitation go down at both stations on the 11th, then come online again for the 12th, and then off since then? Plus, temperature glitching equally matches! Is this like how a fire a few years ago in Ottawa destroyed records in BC because they were all stored in the same spot with no backups?

My Davis weather station hasn't missed a day since I installed in 2012 (except for when one of the kids unplugged it for a week, and I didn't notice until the backup batteries ran out), but EC can't keep a $100,000 weather station going?

Basically, precipitation is no longer measured in the southern interior (several other stations were recently downgraded, including Princeton.
Prince George doesn't have snowfall data for this year. Didn't check previous years but I'm sure there is some snowfall data in some years.

Campbell River doesn't even record precipitation anymore.

Charlottetown always has a lot of missing days. :x
It always snows in December in the Kootenays :clap:
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm Look away T3...

gfs_apcpn_nwus_64-1.png
November is here. :(
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 pm November is here. :(
We've still been above average temperature wise. I've noticed that even in cool and cloudy conditions we almost always seem to come out above the long term average. Especially night time temperatures. But regardless, sorry your heat wave fell through. I'm usually quite confident we would see a few during summer, but the ENSO conditions have me thinking otherwise.

Looking forward to a stretch of warm, dry temps before Junuary looks to take control right on cue.
Antares
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 5m

Post by Antares »

PortKells wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm We've still been above average temperature wise. I've noticed that even in cool and cloudy conditions we almost always seem to come out above the long term average. Especially night time temperatures. But regardless, sorry your heat wave fell through. I'm usually quite confident we would see a few during summer, but the ENSO conditions have me thinking otherwise.

Looking forward to a stretch of warm, dry temps before Junuary looks to take control right on cue.
I think we'll see one in mid to late June. I'd even go as far to say that it could very well be the hottest period of the summer. Just a hunch. :wave:
It always snows in December in the Kootenays :clap:
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

Glacier wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 pm Arg, Environment Canada is going from bad to worse. Both Penticton and Kamloops have a lot of missing data this month. In fact, I don't either station has been this bad in over 100 years. Keep in mind, these are by FAR the most reliable thermometers in the southern interior for tracking climate change and such. How on earth do two stations 200km apart glitch at the exact same time for two weeks straight? Like seriously, how does the precipitation go down at both stations on the 11th, then come online again for the 12th, and then off since then? Plus, temperature glitching equally matches! Is this like how a fire a few years ago in Ottawa destroyed records in BC because they were all stored in the same spot with no backups?

Such a shame... :thumbdown: :evil:

You should email them and ask what's the problem. ;)
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:41 pm We've still been above average temperature wise. I've noticed that even in cool and cloudy conditions we almost always seem to come out above the long term average. Especially night time temperatures. But regardless, sorry your heat wave fell through. I'm usually quite confident we would see a few during summer, but the ENSO conditions have me thinking otherwise.

Global warming port kells