Feedback

Look here for all the help, news or information regarding the forum and website.
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Feedback

Post by stuffradio »

So things are coming along and are coming to a point where it's basically back to how it was. Feedback and suggestions are welcome! This is a good time to remind you. I did have a Patreon setup to support improving this forum and paying for web hosting, or time for developing new features, including in house Meteorology maps. If you wish to make one time or sporadic contributions, you could send me an e-transfer. Just PM me. I will be thinking of ways to thank those who contribute. Roberts Creeker already has made a contribution, so thank you!
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Re: Feedback

Post by Typeing3 »

I believe we also had a separate thread for historical weather and climate data. Glacier posted a lot of good graphs in there.

@Stuffradio or @Hound, could you guys recreate this thread?
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Typeing3 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:42 pm I believe we also had a separate thread for historical weather and climate data. Glacier posted a lot of good graphs in there.

Done! :D
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Hound wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:45 pm
Typeing3 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:42 pm I believe we also had a separate thread for historical weather and climate data. Glacier posted a lot of good graphs in there.

Done! :D
Thanks! :)
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
vitog
Elevation: 105 m /344 ft ASL

Post by vitog »

Hi! Thanks for creating and running this great forum. I just registered and noticed a couple of minor things that could be improved.

At the end of the registration process, there is a statement that you will be emailed a key to use for activating your account. However, the email does not provide a key that you can enter anywhere; you just need to click on the link provided, which is a better way than having to enter a key. It's pretty obvious what to do, but slightly confusing if you are literal minded like me. It would be better to change the wording to eliminate mentioning of the key.

Another minor point: after logging on, I couldn't find confirmation on any of the Web pages that I was actually logged on. The only way to tell was to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the list of who is online. Most forums show your username somewhere at the top of each page.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Thank you vitog,

The settings you describe are the default setting for phpbb. The language it uses etc, is all part of the software. We didn't change any of that because typically it's straight forward and I actually didn't know they used the word key. It is usually just activated via clicking the link in the email. Something we can look into. I noticed many times our emails get sent to spam folders as well.

As for the username appearing somewhere on the main screen when signed in, that would be a theme specific item. And you are correct, usually the username is displayed, but not is this theme unless you hover over the profile icon (the little man shaped icon) on the top right strip of the forum header. It's something we might be able to change if it makes it easier. So we can look into it.

Thanks for the notes! :thumbup:
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Hound wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:07 pm Thank you vitog,

The settings you describe are the default setting for phpbb. The language it uses etc, is all part of the software. We didn't change any of that because typically it's straight forward and I actually didn't know they used the word key. It is usually just activated via clicking the link in the email. Something we can look into. I noticed many times our emails get sent to spam folders as well.

As for the username appearing somewhere on the main screen when signed in, that would be a theme specific item. And you are correct, usually the username is displayed, but not is this theme unless you hover over the profile icon (the little man shaped icon) on the top right strip of the forum header. It's something we might be able to change if it makes it easier. So we can look into it.

Thanks for the notes! :thumbup:
OH MAN IT'S SO COOL TO HAVE RESPONSIVE OWNERS ADMINS AND MODS! :clap: :clap: :clap:
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

That's odd. I never received an email when I signed up. My account was immediately active.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Yes, in our haste, the default setting for the forum was set to 'Activate Immediately'
So basically we had to change that back to 'Email Activation' which SHOULD be the default to prevent fake accounts being used. Spammers would that that! Anyway, it' as it should be now.

You guys were just so hasty in signing back up! :lol:
We were going to have the forum in offline mode for the few first hours, but within 5 minutes we had 8 members sign up again! :crazy:
vitog
Elevation: 105 m /344 ft ASL

Post by vitog »

Since this site is still being modified, this might be a good time to ask for another possible improvement. I haven't tried attaching anything yet in the new site; but when I attached files in the old site, I found that it would not accept PDF files. I may be wrong, but this site seems to be the same. So, can PDF files be attached? If so, how, and, if not, can that capability be added?

Thanks.
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

vitog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:06 am Since this site is still being modified, this might be a good time to ask for another possible improvement. I haven't tried attaching anything yet in the new site; but when I attached files in the old site, I found that it would not accept PDF files. I may be wrong, but this site seems to be the same. So, can PDF files be attached? If so, how, and, if not, can that capability be added?

Thanks.
Allowing PDF files to be attached could open vulnerabilities. What are you wanting to upload?
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

It's possible, but perhaps allowing .zip files would be a better protection. Then you could put anything in them without it hurting anything.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

vitog wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Another minor point: after logging on, I couldn't find confirmation on any of the Web pages that I was actually logged on. The only way to tell was to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the list of who is online. Most forums show your username somewhere at the top of each page.
Ok, I've added this to the main ribbon at the top of every page, so you will know you are signed in. If not signed in it will show "Guest"
2019-02-22_235258.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

I notice that this site is still using unsecured http. Most sites now are being encrypted with https. Perhaps we should do the same here?
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

AbbyJr wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 pm I notice that this site is still using unsecured http. Most sites now are being encrypted with https. Perhaps we should do the same here?
Good point. People are less likely to trust and unsecured site, especially when it's asking you to log in.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm