Cost of Living

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cost of Living

Post by stuffradio »

Does anyone here ever consider moving somewhere else due to costs? Rent is $2000+ at a bargain for a basement suite for me. A townhouse would cost almost $3,000 or most are over $3000/month. In Edmonton you can get entire townhouses for rent 3 beds 2 baths for $1800/month. Houses are much cheaper there.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Re: Cost of Living

Post by Forrest Gump »

I've often wondered myself how people do it, rent or buy, especially rent. That's too bad,I presumed you owned. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but 2013-14 probably the last time properties were reasonably priced,that's when I bought my condo. My sister n law moved back to Edmonton after her husband passed away, condos like half price. And I think for the most part real estate is expensive everywhere in BC, even small towns. Spoke to some people from France who said once you get out of the big cities like Paris,properties are super cheap , found that surprising.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:08 pm I've often wondered myself how people do it, rent or buy, especially rent. That's too bad,I presumed you owned. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but 2013-14 probably the last time properties were reasonably priced,that's when I bought my condo. My sister n law moved back to Edmonton after her husband passed away, condos like half price. And I think for the most part real estate is expensive everywhere in BC, even small towns. Spoke to some people from France who said once you get out of the big cities like Paris,properties are super cheap , found that surprising.
In all honesty skipper Grumpers it should be titled the cost of drowning living in B.C. :( :x :sick:
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Greed is sick, people who charge that much are parasites. A 1 bedroom basement suite anywhere in the lower mainland should not be over $900, even that is too high.

I'm surprised more people don't leave. My friend who graduated as a nurse got fed up and moved to Boston, not only is she getting more money for her job, the cost of living is way down, so she is doing well there. If she had stayed she would have nothing. Quality of life here is suffering.
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

I sort of lucked out. Moved to Vancouver as the pandemic was winding down and rents were still somewhat depressed from it, and (assuming I stay put) I’m now basically locked into that price level thanks to rent control. Plus I have a good-paying job. For those without a tech job looking to rent in today’s market, it’s brutal.
It's called clown range for a reason.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

I have to renew my mortgage in a couple of years. It's going to be absolutely brutal as I expect it will go up by over $1000/month. I'm not sure how I'll manage. I will find a way one way or another, but it's going to be brutal.

BTW, interest rate hikes aren't even taking effect yet. But give it 5 years after another 5 or 6 hikes, look out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsSkwVxr8Q
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:18 pm I have to renew my mortgage in a couple of years. It's going to be absolutely brutal as I expect it will go up by over $1000/month. I'm not sure how I'll manage. I will find a way one way or another, but it's going to be brutal.

BTW, interest rate hikes aren't even taking effect yet. But give it 5 years after another 5 or 6 hikes, look out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsSkwVxr8Q
It's sad Glace how many have had to resort to living in a trailer or car/suv at a rest stop or industrial roads around Chilliwack and the valley. It's a sad state some of these folks had houses and could pay their mortgage and bills but costs spiraled out of control and they had to take option no.2 how many of us are one or two paychecks from being broke.
Join us next season
CYCW station
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Does anyone know anything about Alberta for living costs? It seems so attractive there for affordability compared to here.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

stuffradio wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:24 am Does anyone know anything about Alberta for living costs? It seems so attractive there for affordability compared to here.
Heard Lethbridge, is very affordable Stuffed pasta man both in cost of living and affordable housing has winter, chinooks, and the Lethbridge Broncos. :D :wave:
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join us next season
CYCW station
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:50 am Heard Lethbridge, is very affordable Stuffed pasta man both in cost of living and affordable housing has winter, chinooks, and the Lethbridge Brancos. :D :wave:
Do they have good pasta? :)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

stuffradio wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:10 pm Do they have good pasta? :)
Probably :lol: Boston Pizza perhaps.
Join us next season
CYCW station