Sports Talk

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Re: Sports Talk

Post by AbbyJr »

What a way to lose a hockey game. :bang: :bang: :bang:

But at least we got a point and passed Vegas for first in the NHL. :shock: :clap: :D
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Glad all the sharks games are done. Canucks still haven't played against 9 teams, including L.A., Winnipeg, and Boston.
Now a much needed and deserved rest, only 2 games in next 10 days. Then a monster 7 game road trip in 12 days.
1st place overall at Christmas break :shock: :shock: :shock:
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:30 pm Glad all the sharks games are done. Canucks still haven't played against 9 teams, including L.A., Winnipeg, and Boston.
Now a much needed and deserved rest, only 2 games in next 10 days. Then a monster 7 game road trip in 12 days.
Pretty insane, feels good, I'm starting to dream about cup stuff. I know that's ridiculous but why not. I would put us in the fringe cup contenders category with this deep lineup and star power at all positions.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:37 pm Pretty insane, feels good, I'm starting to dream about cup stuff. I know that's ridiculous but why not. I would put us in the fringe cup contenders category with this deep lineup and star power at all positions.
Exactly Kells & skipper Grumps l keep waiting for the wheels 🛞 to fall off but they keep proving me wrong.
Yes absolutely insane 1st in the league on Christmas day wow!
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join us next season
:team: Nukes are in round 2!!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:43 am Exactly Kells & skipper Grumps l keep waiting for wheels 🛞 to fall off but they keep proving me wrong.
Yes absolutely insane 1st in the league on Christmas day wow!
For 3 years I wondered, what would it look like if our 4 core guys put it together at the same time. Well here we have it. Except now in this recent stretch you have depth players like the Garland line, and D-men like Zadorov and Myers carrying the team, with Desmith getting some big wins as Demko cools off a bit. That is something we truly haven't seen since 2011, when you can remember guys like Higgins and Hansen and so on having big games when the Sedins would cool off.
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:30 pm Glad all the sharks games are done. Canucks still haven't played against 9 teams, including L.A., Winnipeg, and Boston.
This brings up a good point. That is that while the Canucks have played really well this season so far, they have also been lucky to play many games against either rebuilding teams or teams that are badly under performing. But having said that, the Canucks are a very good team and deserve a lot of credit. So while I do think a solid playoff run is very possible, I also think their stats may be somewhat inflated due to their schedule. But still, it's awesome to see them in 1st in the NHL. It's been a long time since we have had a team that has a solid chance of going on a deep playoff run.

:congrats: :bravo:
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

AbbyJr wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:10 pm This brings up a good point. That is that while the Canucks have played really well this season so far, they have also been lucky to play many games against either rebuilding teams or teams that are badly under performing. But having said that, the Canucks are a very good team and deserve a lot of credit. So while I do think a solid playoff run is very possible, I also think their stats may be somewhat inflated due to their schedule. But still, it's awesome to see them in 1st in the NHL. It's been a long time since we have had a team that has a solid chance of going on a deep playoff run.

:congrats: :bravo:
A week ago I was thinking ,that sucks, gotta play Vegas or LA in 1st round. I wasn't even thinking about the possibly of finishing 1st to avoid them. Nonetheless I'm eager to see how they do against LA and Winnipeg, and I'm sure the players would like another crack at Vegas as the top players seemed off that night.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:34 am For 3 years I wondered, what would it look like if our 4 core guys put it together at the same time. Well here we have it. Except now in this recent stretch you have depth players like the Garland line, and D-men like Zadorov and Myers carrying the team, with Desmith getting some big wins as Demko cools off a bit. That is something we truly haven't seen since 2011, when you can remember guys like Higgins and Hansen and so on having big games when the Sedins would cool off.
You gotta give Tocchet and new management a ton of credit, without all the new players and new coaching philosophy ,they'd once again be in tank mode.
I just can't believe all the goals they're scoring while being more defensively responsible. Even during the hay days of the sedins with coach AV ,I remember them winning a lot of tight one goal games . I envision Hughes and Miller being big playoff performers,maybe even Boeser, not sure about Petey though, still does bambi flops about a dozen times per game, someone on CanucksArmy even calls him floppy 40 :lol:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Jim Robson calling Canucks games. It didn’t get any better than that, l don't think Jim Robson had a color guy till later years. I can remember Big AL Davidson doing color with Jim briefly before Tom Larschied came along ah the memories l miss them.
FB_IMG_1703694488147.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Join us next season
:team: Nukes are in round 2!!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Scientific FACT: Top 5 greatest goalies in hockey history:

1) Thatcher Demko
2) Roberto Luongo
3) Kirk McLean
4) Richard Brodeur
5) Hughie Lehman

Or maybe that's Vancouver history.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:00 pm Scientific FACT: Top 5 greatest goalies in hockey history:

1) Thatcher Demko
2) Roberto Luongo
3) Kirk McLean
4) Richard Brodeur
5) Hughie Lehman

Or maybe that's Vancouver history.
6) Glacier?
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

PortKells wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:12 pm6) Glacier?
I let in 11 goals last night. Though I remember when Hall of Famer Mike Vernon's team lost 11-0 to the Canucks despite outshooting the Canucks, so don't judge me by one game. LOL. Last night's score was 11-11 BTW, which isn't unheard of at the beer league level. The game before my team lost 7-2, which was probably the lowest scoring game we have in several years (at the only letting in 2 goals part for the other goalie).
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:19 pm I let in 11 goals last night. Though I remember when Hall of Famer Mike Vernon's team lost 11-0 to the Canucks despite outshooting the Canucks, so don't judge me by one game. LOL. Last night's score was 11-11 BTW, which isn't unheard of at the beer league level. The game before my team lost 7-2, which was probably the lowest scoring game we have in several years (at the only letting in 2 goals part for the other goalie).
Dang, that is a beer scoring high league.
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Came across this on the interwebs and it's so true. Unfortunately they lost to the US today but still a great showing.

2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:44 pm Came across this on the interwebs and it's so true. Unfortunately they lost to the US today but still a great showing.

Am I the only person who thinks that is 100% the same girl in the picture twice?

Also, yes I have a hard time cheering for Team Canada. We've won it far more than anybody else. I'll check in on Canucks prospects and watch a highlight or two. Our Swedish prospects look legit so far. It seems like Allvin has somehow improved the team and restocked through the draft at the same time when all hope looked lost.