Climate Change Discussion

Talk Science, Stats, Climate, Meteorology, or even Geology!
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Re: Climate Change Discussion

Post by Glacier »

Typeing3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:46 am Would also be interesting to see how much the UHI effect has had on average temps over the period of record. Likely the main driver of overnight temps warming at a faster rate when compared to daytime temps.
Actually, with warming due to GHGs, you would expect more than 100% of the warming to occur at night. On the moon you get temperatures of like 100 in the day and -100 at night. On earth you get temperatures of 20 in the day and 0 at night because of our greenhouse gasses.

As you add more GHGs, the night will go to 2 degrees and the day to 19...
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Mattman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:37 am Interesting. If anthropogenic CO2 emissions were the independent variable, rhetorically, wouldn't warming be more uniform over the months? This lends to disproving anthropogenic contributions as needing a "climate emergency." Well, we are flirting with criminalizing dissent--wink, wink, Charlie Angus.
I think the climate is too chaotic for the warming to be uniform. Even if it started out uniform, something could happen like an ice sheet starts melting and throws an ocean current out of whack. Suddenly you're getting different SST temps (much like ENSO patterns) which would influence atmospheric temperature and moisture patterns on a seasonal basis.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Typeing3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:46 am Would also be interesting to see how much the UHI effect has had on average temps over the period of record. Likely the main driver of overnight temps warming at a faster rate when compared to daytime temps.
I think it plays a small role, based on the studies I've read. They compared urban and rural stations and saw the warming signal was similar, except for a few outliers where UHI played an outsized effect.

Cliff Mass had a blog years ago where he covered this, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Only 2005 and 2015 had lower snowpack than this year...
cwhat12.png
chwasdfw.png
cwajt3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tyweather
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by tyweather »

Sea surface temperature research provides clear evidence of human-caused climate change

https://phys.org/news/2024-03-sea-surfa ... human.html
Why not try cycling to work, grocery store, anywhere!
tyweather
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by tyweather »

It is hard to imagine how humans could be impacting the climate through use of fossil fuels but the cumulative impact is huge with greater and greater amounts used each year. This graphic from Visual Capitalist paints a pretty good picture at the staggering scale of annual production of fossil fuels, which when burned produces vast amounts of CO2, which warms the atmosphere, along with other pollutants as well which affect health. Basically large mountains of pollutants goes up into the atmosphere each year. The volume shown would be the equivalent volume of 5,190 Mount St. Helens volcanic eruption volumes each year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why not try cycling to work, grocery store, anywhere!
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

According to scientists, Penticton will be hotter than Tucson, AZ in just 26 years. I don't mean to sound like a climate change denier, but I am highly skeptical of such a claim. I also dispute any claims about less water. The Okanagan valley has been getting wetter over time, and the river flows have shown this...

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2024/04/03/ ... er-Future/
pentictonmean2.png
okriverstreamflow2b.png