Weather Instrument Discussions

Discuss all aspects of personal weather stations and share your own!
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Weather Instrument Discussions

Post by SouthSardiswx »

All your questions or information regarding weather insturments.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Re: Weather Instrument Discussions

Post by Forrest Gump »

:watchu: :canhelp: :linkp: :progress: :fever:
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 pm All your questions or information regarding weather insturments.
what would you recommend?
we've been old fashioned :gramps: here with outdoor thermometer, a barometer and phone apps but I'd like to get into this century as far as monitoring goes :lolsign:
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

My recommendation is the Davis Vantage Vue. It's about as close as you can get to a professional station at a budget price, though some may find the $350 to $400 price tag is still too high.

For those wanting to spend less, some members have had success with AcuRite stations. They generally run between $100 and $200. There are numerous models with slightly varying features, and even more variable reliability, so I wouldn't be able to recommend a particular one.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Acurite came out with their newest model (the atlas) I think to give Davis a run for their money it's pricey at $600.00 cdn on Amazon but has some nice features by what I've seen. I do like the HD screen very nice I know the cheaper units had issues with the Aspirated fan that caused temps to spike in sunlight even with the fan running, I know I owned one at one time and was disappointed with it.

https://www.acurite.com/atlas-weather-station.html
CYCW station
vitog
Elevation: 105 m /344 ft ASL

Post by vitog »

I've had a Bios wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer for several years. It works OK, but is not very accurate and only stores high and low readings since the last manual reset. I'd like to get a device that stores hourly readings and daily highs/lows for at least a few days, until the data is downloaded to a PC via Wi-Fi. Something with an accuracy of at least +/- 0.5 degrees C would be nice. Does such a device exist? I've found several units that download data to a smartphone, but I prefer to use a PC with MS Windows 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

We were at my brother's place near Kelowna last night it was raining like crazy. I checked my weather station after a couple hours of rain, and absolutely nothing! I figured that it must have been plugged with leaves or bird poo, but nope, when I checked it when I got home, it was draining, but it was partially blocked with grain of sand such that the water was directed to only one side of the tipping bucket. cleaned it out, and now we're good to go again.
Radar
Weather Nut
Weather Nut
Elevation: 290ft

Post by Radar »

Anyone know much about the eco Witt stations?
West Abby. Elev. 290ft
PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IABBOT57/
23/24 snow total: 48 cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

I paid just over $300.00 for mine, all seperate units which is the best way to go. Unit HP3501
CYCW station
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

I've had my Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus IP weather station since 2012. Only now after 8 years is it giving me a "low battery" warning. Actually, it's been giving me that warning for a couple months now, so I guess I should order it before it stops working. My consul has good batteries. I know because we had a 24 hour power outage, and it kept recording the entire time.

I think my fan has been broken for a year or two, so I'll order one of those too when I order the battery.

EDIT: I just realized that the fan takes 2 C-batteries, so maybe it's just that I have dead Cs. This is different from the li-ion 3V battery that keeps that station going! Damn, I bet these batteries have been dead for a few years, and I didn't know it!
Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

Davis fan motors do wear out. They can be replaced, but Davis won't sell you the motor by itself. They'll sell you the entire fan assembly for $$$.

If you want just the fan motor, you'll have to figure out the specs and acquire one from a third party.

I'm on my third or fourth motor now... I've lost track. I may have the specs written down somewhere if you need them. Hopefully it's just the batteries, but I would be shocked if that fan still worked after 8 years.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

just had a look at my station. I need two C cell rechargeable batteries, which I don't have at the moment.
IMG_20210116_1126581.jpg
IMG_20210116_1117486.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Abby_wx wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:48 pm Davis fan motors do wear out. They can be replaced, but Davis won't sell you the motor by itself. They'll sell you the entire fan assembly for $$$.

If you want just the fan motor, you'll have to figure out the specs and acquire one from a third party.

I'm on my third or fourth motor now... I've lost track. I may have the specs written down somewhere if you need them. Hopefully it's just the batteries, but I would be shocked if that fan still worked after 8 years.
Do you have the modern designed rain collector with the bird spikes or the old one that I have? I'd think about upgrading if it improves accuracy, stops the cone from plugging up, and accommodates my heater.
Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

I still have the old one... been thinking about upgrading. Try to decide whether to refurbish my entire station, as there are a few pieces I'd like to replace... or just buy a new one.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Abby_wx wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:11 am I still have the old one... been thinking about upgrading. Try to decide whether to refurbish my entire station, as there are a few pieces I'd like to replace... or just buy a new one.
Interesting, the rain collector is similar to the old one if you want the heater (which I kind of need here in the interior given how much snow I get), but it has the bird spikes and filter and a slightly different shape outside. I have my station along with everything else in my house from Christmas lights to TVs connected to smart plugs or smart switches so I can turn things on or off with my phone or set them to turn off or on with scheduled timers.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/produc ... ng-heater/