Climate Change Discussion

Talk Science, Stats, Climate, Meteorology, or even Geology!
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Climate Change Discussion

Post by John »

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/08/ ... t.html?m=1

Another great post from cliff at least imo
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: August 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 am https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/08/ ... t.html?m=1

Another great post from cliff at least imo
Meh. Just one opinion. He's stated his side of things many times. He's also a meteorologist, whereas climatologists are the ones I think we should really be listening to on this issue, kind of like we should be listening to meteorologists for weather reports rather than geologists, and so on.

And frankly, if somebody tells you we're not already experiencing drastic changes, then you should probably stop listening to them. BC's economy has taken massive hits, whether its the pine beetle, the drastically reduced salmon fisheries, the extremely unpredictable ski seasons, loss of tourism from smoky summers, and so on. If you're telling me that doubling this effect in a short matter of time isn't a big deal, I have an oceanfront property to sell you. (my family actually does have an oceanfront cabin on the sunshine coast that is rapidly losing land and sinking, so I'm only partially joking)
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Snowed_in wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am Meh. Just one opinion. He's stated his side of things many times. He's also a meteorologist, whereas climatologists are the ones I think we should really be listening to on this issue, kind of like we should be listening to meteorologists for weather reports rather than geologists, and so on.

And frankly, if somebody tells you we're not already experiencing drastic changes, then you should probably stop listening to them. BC's economy has taken massive hits, whether its the pine beetle, the drastically reduced salmon fisheries, the extremely unpredictable ski seasons, loss of tourism from smoky summers, and so on. If you're telling me that doubling this effect in a short matter of time isn't a big deal, I have an oceanfront property to sell you. (my family actually does have an oceanfront cabin on the sunshine coast that is rapidly losing land and sinking, so I'm only partially joking)

How much has the ocean risen by your property in the last 50 years?
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:41 am How much has the ocean risen by your property in the last 50 years?
Dont have the numbers on that, you got me. But the island as a whole is objectively losing mass at an astonishing rate, even for a sand island. Some large properties have lost an acre in less than 10 years. Not to mention, extremely few of the species I used to see, such as kelp , or even salmon, are still there. Replaced by jellyfish. The ocean is like a bath now...it used to actually sting to go in. Now it's a walk in the park, quite lovely other than for the species who cant adapt. Time to start paying more attention to your local ecosystem if you dont believe me.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Snowed_in wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 pm Dont have the numbers on that, you got me. But the island as a whole is objectively losing mass at an astonishing rate, even for a sand island. Some large properties have lost an acre in less than 10 years. Not to mention, extremely few of the species I used to see, such as kelp , or even salmon, are still there. Replaced by jellyfish. The ocean is like a bath now...it used to actually sting to go in. Now it's a walk in the park, quite lovely other than for the species who cant adapt. Time to start paying more attention to your local ecosystem if you dont believe me.
Here is the graph for Vancouver.
822-071_meantrend.png
Math:

at 0.48mm/year, the sea has risen 1.92 cm in my life time.

Source: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/
Snowed_in wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am Meh. Just one opinion. He's stated his side of things many times. He's also a meteorologist, whereas climatologists are the ones I think we should really be listening to on this issue, kind of like we should be listening to meteorologists for weather reports rather than geologists, and so on.

You say "meh" because someone gives his opinion, and then go on to give yours. Fair enough, but understand that everything you stated here is an opinion unless you back up your statements with facts and data.

You say: "BC's economy has taken massive hits, whether its the pine beetle, the drastically reduced salmon fisheries, the extremely unpredictable ski seasons, loss of tourism from smoky summers, and so on."

Here are my opinions about that:

1) How big are those massive hits? How much is due to Climate Change? I would say probably very little to none.
2) Pine beetle epidemic was not related to climate change.
3) The drastic reduction in salmon fisheries is not relate to climate change.
4) The ski seasons are as good as ever.
5) Two years does not make a trend. Far less forest is burned today than 100 years ago because of fire suppression.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Re: Climate Change Discussion

Post by Glacier »

John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Climate change is happening some of it might be man-made but it’s not catastrophic most of it is fake news even though I don’t like the guy that came up with that term
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

He started to lose me when he compared a morning temperature to a daily max temperature.

I won't comment on the rest since I don't feel like fact-checking all of it. But when someone messes up something really simple it makes me lose faith in their ability to get the larger details right.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:19 pm He started to lose me when he compared a morning temperature to a daily max temperature.

I won't comment on the rest since I don't feel like fact-checking all of it. But when someone messes up something really simple it makes me lose faith in their ability to get the larger details right.
You’re a believer of climate change which is your right :thumbup:
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

John wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:04 pm You’re a believer of climate change which is your right :thumbup:
I'm not saying his conclusion is wrong, I was just pointing out that he misrepresented some data.

(The video Glacier posted, not the blog from Cliff.)
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Re: September 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by John »

But Greta said the earth is warming and people are dying everywhere and now you’re all telling me it’s going to snow I’m confused
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:15 pm But Greta said the earth is warming and people are dying everywhere and now you’re all telling me it’s going to snow I’m confused
Greta was just your typical snot nosed whiny can't get her own way teenage brat. :lol:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 pm Greta was just your typical snot nosed whiny can't get her own way teenage brat. :lol:
Not so fast, apparently she has Aspergers which is part of the autism spectrum...wait, didn't you say she was brilliant? But her parents are actors so not sure what to make of the Greta show.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Hawk
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 320/3024

Post by Hawk »

Who is Greta? :blah: :blah:
Of course it could easily be 18c and bommy during this strong EN, but instead March starts out troffy and chilly! :shock: :shock: Bring on some 18c sunny days
Willoughby Langley at ~320ft / Similkameeeens ~3400ft
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Hawk wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:00 pm Who is Greta? :blah: :blah:
:lol: Hawk come out of your nest your missing the world.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather