August 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: August 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by stuffradio »

Did you guys see this!?
Snowfall warning in effect for:

Fort Nelson

A long period of snowfall with total amounts of 20 to 30 cm is expected.

Early- season heavy snow for part of the Alaska Highway.

An unseasonably cold arctic airmass will descend upon northern BC beginning late today. Rain forecast over the region today will change over to snow at times heavy this evening as temperatures quickly approach the freezing mark. Significant snowfall accumulations of 20 cm or more are anticipated overnight through Sunday at higher elevations of the Alaska Highway between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake and to the south of Fort Nelson. Significant snowfall accumulations are not expected in Fort Nelson because any snow that does fall will be too wet. The heavy snow is forecast to end by Monday morning.

Travel is not recommended. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. Heavy snowfall accumulation may cause tree branches to break.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

stuffradio wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:55 pm Did you guys see this!?
Yep!

Capture d’écran, le 2019-08-17 à 15.05.41.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Reached an afternoon high of 22.5c with a low of 16.5c on my new official accurate Ecowitt weather station. And now with no interuption from sir Grumpy here is the unveiling of my new contraption.😎 I got a couple of poles for a chain link fence from Home Depot I drilled a couple holes to make it a telescopic pole to lower if I need to get at the weather station I used a couple of bolts with wing nuts to make it easier to remove the pole. My station is 20 feet in the air and it clears the roof tops around here for the utmost in accurate wind speed. I can publish to Weatherunderground or Cloud or WOW if I wish it is also a wifi station. For now I can log in using the website for my current conditions when I'm away from the house, I checked the reviews and found Ecowitt and Ambient Weather had good reviews but went with Ecowitt for the compact size of the station. Seems very accurate which is what matters most.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm Reached an afternoon high of 22.5c with a low of 16.5c on my new official accurate Ecowitt weather station. And now with no interuption from sir Grumpy here is the unveiling of my new contraption.😎 I got a couple of poles for a chain link fence from Home Depot I drilled a couple holes to make it a telescopic pole to lower if I need to get at the weather station I used a couple of bolts with wing nuts to make it easier to remove the pole. My station is 20 feet in the air and it clears the roof tops around here for the utmost in accurate wind speed. I can publish to Weatherunderground or Cloud or WOW if I wish it is also a wifi station. For now I can log in using the website for my current conditions when I'm away from the house, I checked the reviews and found Ecowitt and Ambient Weather had good reviews but went with Ecowitt for the compact size of the station. Seems very accurate which is what matters most.
Nice setup Sardineman! :clap: :clap: I'm looking forward to your very accurate reports!

Did you mark out 1' increments on your 20' pole to measure all the snow we're getting this winter? :lol:

Go :team: snow! Love how it's only August and we've already moved on to snow!
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm Reached an afternoon high of 22.5c with a low of 16.5c on my new official accurate Ecowitt weather station. And now with no interuption from sir Grumpy here is the unveiling of my new contraption.😎 I got a couple of poles for a chain link fence from Home Depot I drilled a couple holes to make it a telescopic pole to lower if I need to get at the weather station I used a couple of bolts with wing nuts to make it easier to remove the pole. My station is 20 feet in the air and it clears the roof tops around here for the utmost in accurate wind speed. I can publish to Weatherunderground or Cloud or WOW if I wish it is also a wifi station. For now I can log in using the website for my current conditions when I'm away from the house, I checked the reviews and found Ecowitt and Ambient Weather had good reviews but went with Ecowitt for the compact size of the station. Seems very accurate which is what matters most.
Nice. Is the temp gauge 20ft off the ground too? If so, that’s too high for good readings but you have to make compromises with these things. Being higher, you obviously get better wind readings but when it’s really windy you might see a dip in rainfall accuracy if the rain is blown sideways
North end of Shawnigan Lake. Southern Vancouver island. 500ft
tyweather
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by tyweather »

The snow is coming down in northern BC.

Why not try cycling to work, grocery store, anywhere!
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Monty wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm Nice. Is the temp gauge 20ft off the ground too? If so, that’s too high for good readings but you have to make compromises with these things. Being higher, you obviously get better wind readings but when it’s really windy you might see a dip in rainfall accuracy if the rain is blown sideways
Yes the temp. sensor is underneath the rain gauge l've had the station up 2 days now and the temperature is bang on with my north facing thermometer which is 4 feet off the ground. I also have my manual rain gauge which is 2 feet off the ground so will see once we get some heavy weather. They also have a unit with separate componets but Amazon doesn't carry it right now. You can order the seperate components through their web site and they ship to Canada. Maybe a future idea. I'm looking at bird spikes for the rain gauge.
Join us next season
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

tyweather wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm The snow is coming down in northern BC.

Thats just insanely awesome!
Join us next season
CYCW station
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:19 pm Yes the temp. sensor is underneath the rain gauge l've had the station up 2 days now and the temperature is bang on with my north facing thermometer which is 4 feet off the ground. I also have my manual rain gauge which is 2 feet off the ground so will see once we get some heavy weather. They also have a unit with separate componets but Amazon doesn't carry it right now. You can order the seperate components through their web site and they ship to Canada. Maybe a future idea. I'm looking at bird spikes for the rain gauge.
It’s a nice looking monitor.
North end of Shawnigan Lake. Southern Vancouver island. 500ft
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 pm Nice setup Sardineman! :clap: :clap: I'm looking forward to your very accurate reports!

Did you mark out 1' increments on your 20' pole to measure all the snow we're getting this winter? :lol:

Go :team: snow! Love how it's only August and we've already moved on to snow!
:lol: great idea.
Join us next season
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Monty wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 pm It’s a nice looking monitor.
Yeah . If you noticed in the upper right hand corner is the internet connection no need for separate components to connect online. You can also use an SD card with the monitor to download the latest firmware. Its the laest thing nowadays Davis needs to come out with this too.
Join us next season
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Groovy , far out man. It's about time you came out of the woodwork with your invention. Your contraption has some similarities to slytyguy. Where's the Hawk alert radar screen? You need a screen with a video clip of Tattoo from fantasy island warning us , da hawk,da hawk,da hawk , and another one for da blob,da blob,da blob.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 pm Groovy , far out man. It's about time you came out of the woodwork with your invention. Your contraption has some similarities to slytyguy. Where's the Hawk alert radar screen? You need a screen with a video clip of Tattoo from fantasy island warning us , da hawk,da hawk,da hawk , and another one for da blob,da blob,da blob.
:lol: l thought slyty guy was never to be seen or heard from Hawk is too noisy and Jr. lets us know Bob the Blob's position all winter.
Join us next season
CYCW station