Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by John »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:43 am Seeing people when you're out is a bit different than "getting together". Unless those people are coworkers, you're probably not in close contact for very long.

Some of us actually have been following the recommendations, or at least doing our best to, as hard as that might seem for some to believe.

I ran into a friend at Home Depot last month and we chatted for 15 minutes. I visited with another friend at a park for an hour on Tuesday. But I haven't seen anyone else outside of my household since before Christmas, apart from coworkers. Since I mostly work alone, I don't even see my coworkers that much. :lol:

Getting together with 10 people is a pretty big change from what we've been doing. It is outdoors only thankfully, so the risk is much lower than it would be indoors. Remember how little COVID there was last summer because people were mainly gathering outdoors. As soon as the weather changed and people started gathering indoors, infections ramped up.

That’s incredible Abby
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

John wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:44 pm That’s incredible Abby
When I say "seen" I mean visited with. Obviously I've been around people in stores, etc., but those are brief contacts.

Are you suggesting I'm some kind of anomaly? :lol:

Are most people simply ignoring Dr. Henry? I definitely seem to be getting that vibe from a lot of people.

I would like to visit my 90 year old grandmother sometime soon, but it's definitely too early for that. Hopefully she will be vaccinated soon, then we'll decide whether it's safe enough. (She's not in a care home, she lives with my uncle.)
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:52 pm When I say "seen" I mean visited with. Obviously I've been around people in stores, etc., but those are brief contacts.

Are you suggesting I'm some kind of anomaly? :lol:

Are most people simply ignoring Dr. Henry? I definitely seem to be getting that vibe from a lot of people.

I would like to visit my 90 year old grandmother sometime soon, but it's definitely too early for that. Hopefully she will be vaccinated soon, then we'll decide whether it's safe enough. (She's not in a care home, she lives with my uncle.)
Definitely got to be careful with the elderly
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

The big question right now is should we still continue with the mask mandate in bc right now??
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:03 pm The big question right now is should we still continue with the mask mandate in bc right now??
Yup, cases going up 3rd wave starting it's going to be bad. Vaccinations won't slow this wave.
Join us next season for the 7th annual 2 retired geezer's inaccurate snowfall contest

:snowatt:
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: :sick:
:hockey: South Sardines: :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:34 pm Yup, cases going up 3rd wave starting it's going to be bad. Vaccinations won't slow this wave.
Give me a break the waves will keep coming for ever we need to go back to normal imo
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:37 pm Give me a break the waves will keep coming for ever we need to go back to normal imo
If everybody masked up everywhere we could be normal minus the masks part. Unfortunately at the start of the pandemic they kind of shot themselves in the foot by telling everyone that masks weren't very effective. But as it is now I don't see how normal life and a functioning healthcare system can go together. As Sardis said, cases are going up everywhere. People have gotten tired of it. But the virus doesn't really care if we're tired of it or not.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:00 pm If everybody masked up everywhere we could be normal minus the masks part. Unfortunately at the start of the pandemic they kind of shot themselves in the foot by telling everyone that masks weren't very effective. But as it is now I don't see how normal life and a functioning healthcare system can go together. As Sardis said, cases are going up everywhere. People have gotten tired of it. But the virus doesn't really care if we're tired of it or not.
We need to accept that viruses are a natural occurrence and this one is winding down in terms of deaths. People die it’s sad but reality this is of course my opinion and I am open to rebuttal
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:41 pm We need to accept that viruses are a natural occurrence and this one is winding down in terms of deaths. People die it’s sad but reality this is of course my opinion and I am open to rebuttal
I think we all accept that viruses are a natural occurrence. I think society has decided that this virus is worse than a regular influenza virus and something needs to be done. Unfortunately cases are now skyrocketing in the province, another 800 today which is a sharp increase.

The variants are outcompeting the original strain too, which is causing it to be much more difficult to control. We do not want to become Brazil, where there are no ICU beds, no sedative drugs and very little O2 to go around. Averaging close to 3000 deaths a day, a terrible situation there.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 pm I think we all accept that viruses are a natural occurrence. I think society has decided that this virus is worse than a regular influenza virus and something needs to be done. Unfortunately cases are now skyrocketing in the province, another 800 today which is a sharp increase.

The variants are outcompeting the original strain too, which is causing it to be much more difficult to control. We do not want to become Brazil, where there are no ICU beds, no sedative drugs and very little O2 to go around. Averaging close to 3000 deaths a day, a terrible situation there.

Case stats certainly have some value but are only a little bit useful. Of those 800 how many people are actually sick? They never say that there are many healthy people that carry viruses.

The variance are worse than the original strain but we are never gonna turn into Brazil Brazil is mostly a very poor country very badly run.

First we didn’t want to turn into China then Italy next was New York and so on, The fact is we never did so let’s go back to normal And see what happens it’s worth a try in my opinion
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:43 pm I think we all accept that viruses are a natural occurrence. I think society has decided that this virus is worse than a regular influenza virus and something needs to be done. Unfortunately cases are now skyrocketing in the province, another 800 today which is a sharp increase.

I don't think it's very prudent to compare us with Brazil. It's a country in the global south (where the effects of stringent lockdowns vastly outweigh the effects of covid), and there are many other factors that have contributed to their current situation.

Floods over the past few months have destroyed infrastructure (including hospitals), and hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced throughout the western part of the country.

They're also suffering from a dengue fever epidemic and increased malaria issues. Unfortunately, these events have not been widely covered by the mainstream media; instead all the focus is on bashing their president (yes, I do agree he's incompetent) which ultimately accomplishes nothing.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:43 am Case stats certainly have some value but are only a little bit useful. Of those 800 how many people are actually sick? They never say that there are many healthy people that carry viruses.

The variance are worse than the original strain but we are never gonna turn into Brazil Brazil is mostly a very poor country very badly run.

First we didn’t want to turn into China then Italy next was New York and so on, The fact is we never did so let’s go back to normal And see what happens it’s worth a try in my opinion
Actually the hospital numbers are available. 81 in ICU. cases went way up again today. I have two friends who are young and healthy and are suffering long term symptoms from their bouts with covid. Can't live a normal life.

Your last point confuses me...we didn't become like those countries because we didn't try to pretend everything is normal. So many people from those nations expressed regret about not taking the threat seriously. I'm glad we took the threat somewhat seriously.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:38 pm Actually the hospital numbers are available. 81 in ICU. cases went way up again today. I have two friends who are young and healthy and are suffering long term symptoms from their bouts with covid. Can't live a normal life.

Your last point confuses me...we didn't become like those countries because we didn't try to pretend everything is normal. So many people from those nations expressed regret about not taking the threat seriously. I'm glad we took the threat somewhat seriously.
Hospital numbers really don’t change much. 81 in icu only because COVID? Doubt it.
I also know many people that have had COVID (tested positive) and all are fine or had no symptoms at all.

I am also glad we took the threat seriously at first but now that we know it isn’t worse than the flu let’s go back to normal.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 pm Hospital numbers really don’t change much. 81 in icu only because COVID? Doubt it.
I also know many people that have had COVID (tested positive) and all are fine or had no symptoms at all.

I am also glad we took the threat seriously at first but now that we know it isn’t worse than the flu let’s go back to normal.
The cases are about to go through the roof just watch and the variants will fuel it. I hope the vaccines will bend the curve but at the rate we are administrating them soon we won't be able to keep up with cases.
Join us next season for the 7th annual 2 retired geezer's inaccurate snowfall contest

:snowatt:
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: :sick:
:hockey: South Sardines: :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:45 pm Hospital numbers really don’t change much. 81 in icu only because COVID? Doubt it.

I just can't agree with most of what you are saying. Especially the flu thing...the flu can be a brutal disease too, look at 1918, 50 to 100 million died.

Hospital numbers will almost certainly rise a couple of weeks after cases do. They are skyrocketing in Ontario and younger and younger people are being seen in the ICU. There are so so many stories out there about the stress that health care workers are under. The vast majority of society has decided it is worth it to preserve our health care system and continue to make sacrifices so we can all be safe until the vaccines set in.