Random Stats

Talk Science, Stats, Climate, Meteorology, or even Geology!
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Re: Random Stats

Post by Glacier »

Here is what the data looks like for +5 and +30. I had to switch out Iqaluit for Kugluktuk at +30 because Iqaluit never gets that hot.

Note that I've included the Humidex, Heat Index, and the Australian Apparent Temperature that accounts for BOTH humidity and wind.

At +30, Lytton feels colder than anywhere else in Canada, not because of the lack humidity, but because of the wind plus the low humidity. Other places have less humidity, but they are also less windy.
humdityair.png
humdityairn30.png
RHTEMP.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

windtemp.png
windtem3.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Glacier wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:29 pm windtemp.png

windtem3.png
Arctic outflow clearly visible for Abbotsford there.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Glacier wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:50 am People in Kelowna like to say that it's the least windy city in Canada. LOL, not even close...

windspeedcanada.png
Some updates. Clearwater is similar to Pemberton. Good location I think so no shelter from the wind.

Anahim Lake airport (a forestry station) is similar to Squamish.

Princeton is about 5 km/h average, so just below Port Alberni. It's complicated to calculate because some years the hourly data is only taken during certain times of day. When you calculate by hour and month, Princeton is higher than my original graph showed.

Smithers and Dease Lake average 5.4 and 5.6 respectively, so somewhere between Squamish and Kelowna.

The lowest average windspeed in any month in Canada is Dawson, YT in January with an average speed of just 1.5 km/h.

Generating wind power in the interior of BC or Yukon is a really bad idea because these areas are some of the least windy in the entire world. As far as I know, Blue River is the least windy place on earth.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:15 am Some updates. Clearwater is similar to Pemberton. Good location I think so no shelter from the wind.

Anahim Lake airport (a forestry station) is similar to Squamish.

Princeton is about 5 km/h average, so just below Port Alberni. It's complicated to calculate because some years the hourly data is only taken during certain times of day. When you calculate by hour and month, Princeton is higher than my original graph showed.

Smithers and Dease Lake average 5.4 and 5.6 respectively, so somewhere between Squamish and Kelowna.

The lowest average windspeed in any month in Canada is Dawson, YT in January with an average speed of just 1.5 km/h.

Generating wind power in the interior of BC or Yukon is a really bad idea because these areas are some of the least windy in the entire world. As far as I know, Blue River is the least windy place on earth.
This should be renamed A.I. random stats Glace. :lol:
Join us next season for the 7th annual 2 old retired geezer's inaccurate snowfall contest

:snowatt:
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 0cm
:hockey: South Sardines: 0cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

It's interesting, Tatlayoko Lake in the Chilcotin only has 46 days per year that don't rise above freezing. Of the 206 stations in the 1991-2020 normals database, that's the 26th lowest.

BUT, Tatlayoko Lake has 220 days per year where the daily low is zero or below. That's one of the HIGHEST in Canada of the 206 stations, this is 55th. For July, this Chilcotin location weighs in at 10th!

So the Chilcotin is similar to southern Ontario in terms of number of days that don't rise above freezing, but has 100 more days that drop below freezing!
FREEZINGDAYSVARIOUSc.png
FREEZINGDAYSVARIOUSd.png
julyfreezers.png
julyfreezersCAN.png