ENSO in the Similkameeeens

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
Hawk
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 320/3024

ENSO in the Similkameeeens

Post by Hawk »

:alert:
I have personally experienced many Winters of ENSO in the Silmikameens. From my experience, Winters are still very good and can be quite snowy. Of course there are more times when it rains up there and of course bommy ridging. Instead of it being frozen and cold with hardly any rain at all throughout the coldest periods in winter.
However, during many bommy ridges sitting right over BC, it is still very cold. For example..daily temps may read H -7 L -15, or similar to that.
During atmospheric River events with warm Coastal temperatures, many times it struggles to get above zero with many of the valleys oftentimes staying below zero where ZR is more common.
Furthermore, it only really rains there during the period of the warm front. Once the cold front passes through it almost always switches back to snow.
This is due to the relatively high elevations of the interior plateau. With many of the higher valleys sitting around the 2500 ft to 3500 foot mark.
Additionally, many of the mountain peaks have their best snow seasons due to the atmospheric Rivers continuously pounding the coast. The mountain peaks sitting at 5000 to 5500 ft benefit greatly with this additional moisture.

If anybody has anything else to add here on this topic that would be greatly appreciated. I would like some additional insight and knowledge.

Hopefully we can score some snow on the coast, but I always have a backup plan in case I need my snow fix for the winter 😍😍
Let's hope this April brings some ~24c sunny days. Yesssss :hearteyes: :hearteyes:
Willoughby Langley at ~320ft / Similkameeeens ~3400ft
Skooks

Re: ENSO in the Similkameeeens

Post by Skooks »

Hawk wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:55 am :alert:
I have personally experienced many Winters of ENSO in the Silmikameens. From my experience, Winters are still very good and can be quite snowy. Of course there are more times when it rains up there and of course bommy ridging. Instead of it being frozen and cold with hardly any rain at all throughout the coldest periods in winter.
However, during many bommy ridges sitting right over BC, it is still very cold. For example..daily temps may read H -7 L -15, or similar to that.
During atmospheric River events with warm Coastal temperatures, many times it struggles to get above zero with many of the valleys oftentimes staying below zero where ZR is more common.
Furthermore, it only really rains there during the period of the warm front. Once the cold front passes through it almost always switches back to snow.
This is due to the relatively high elevations of the interior plateau. With many of the higher valleys sitting around the 2500 ft to 3500 foot mark.
Additionally, many of the mountain peaks have their best snow seasons due to the atmospheric Rivers continuously pounding the coast. The mountain peaks sitting at 5000 to 5500 ft benefit greatly with this additional moisture.

If anybody has anything else to add here on this topic that would be greatly appreciated. I would like some additional insight and knowledge.

Hopefully we can score some snow on the coast, but I always have a backup plan in case I need my snow fix for the winter 😍😍
:roll: :crazy:
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Similkameens get lots of snow because of spill over, although it really drops off as you move east of Princeton.

Here's a quick and dirty map to show you that anyone who lives inside the area outlined in red is a stupid moron who gets p*ss poor snow. Too much rain-shadow for good snowfall.
pisspoorsnow.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:24 am Similkameens get lots of snow because of spill over, although it really drops off as you move east of Princeton.

Here's a quick and dirty map to show you that anyone who lives inside the area outlined in red is a stupid moron who gets p*ss poor snow. Too much rain-shadow for good snowfall.

pisspoorsnow.png
:lol: l'll be sure not to retire to the areas outlined in red Glace, any suggestions on what do while visiting in the Shitzmilkameenzz l heard it snows feetzzzz there Glace. :shifty:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Hawk
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by Hawk »

Glacier wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:24 am Similkameens get lots of snow because of spill over, although it really drops off as you move east of Princeton.

pisspoorsnow.png
But thats also why lots of people move to these areas..due to light snowfall rates in winter. Merritt is a pretty dry bowl, just as those other towns to the NW are. Desert like, but colder
Let's hope this April brings some ~24c sunny days. Yesssss :hearteyes: :hearteyes:
Hawk
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by Hawk »

pisspoorsnow.png
I visit north of Princeton in a bit of an upslope/summit of the valley area which seems to increase the snowfall slightly at times. A good pumbling does occur quite often though. Like the 22inches within 24 hours last December..or was it 2021? :clap: :clap: