August 2020 Forecasts and Discussions

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
tyweather
Model Rider
Model Rider

Re: August 2020 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by tyweather »

CoVid rules around skiing have become more clear. I imagine the local mountains will have similar rules.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/whistler-blackcom ... -1.5082490

The changes – which include physical distancing in lift lines and wearing face coverings while loading, riding and unloading both gondolas and chairlifts – are in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

When it comes to reservations, Riddell told CTV News the resort will prioritize Epic Pass holders, whether they purchase a pass for the entire season or a shorter period of time. Holders of Edge Cards for 2, 5, or 10 days, or a new product called a Whistler Blackcomb day pass – which has pass perks like discounts, while daily lift tickets do not – will also get priority.

Starting in early November, pass holders will be able to reserve up to seven days of skiing online during the mountain’s “core season,” which runs from Dec. 8 through April 4.

The guidelines are slightly different for the mountain’s opening weeks and for reservations booked for ski days within the same week, allowing for avid skiers to potentially watch the forecast in search of the perfect powder day.

Regular lift tickets will go on sale in December, and will only be sold online, not at ticket windows.

Riddell added while he doesn’t think it’s likely the resort will sell out, that’s a possibility on peak weekends and holidays.

Along with its sister resorts, Whistler Blackcomb will ask skiers and boarders to only ride gondolas and chairs with their own bubble.

Singles will be physically distanced in gondola cabins or on quad chairs, and on six-pack chairs like the Harmony and Emerald lifts, two couples from different bubbles will be permitted to ride together with two empty seats between them.

Face coverings are not required while skiing, but will be mandatory in every lift line.
Why not try cycling to work, grocery store, anywhere!
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Weather101 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:34 am I agree with you with the cancel culture..

But seriously ? Don't start with that all lives matter racist crap. The only reason they say " Black lives matter" is because the cops keep killing African Americans without a reason, The way black people have been mistreated. If they were treated like everyone else this wouldn't be a issue. So that all lives matter is a load of b.s and takes away from the point, If it pisses you off then you are the issue. Black Lives matter because of how the hell they get treated so don't be that person to make it about you.

It's like you saying to your wife, Do you love our sex? And she replies " I love all sex" sounds dumb doesn't it eh?
Dear mods, apologies for long and off topic rant I am about to embark on.

I'm going to wade into this mire and offer my agreement on both your statements (minus the amusing but crude analogy). In addition, I understand why the players may want to support the clause in such a manner, but the league's pathetic statement and then extremely reactionary response to the players demonstrates the lack of seriousness they take this with. Minorities deserve more from the league, and the fans deserve a better explanation. My frustration with the league is not the postponement but rather the manner in which it was handled (not announced beforehand but instead forced by the players). If they want to show they're serious, they should have also then pledged a certain %-age of the next x number of broadcast proceeds to organisations which help minorities. At present, this is no better than social media posturing (edit from this point forward) to score cheap political points in a cancel culture environment. So the problem is two-fold. People with power who don't care, and cancel culture making empty gestures worth more than actual action. Cancel culture is counterproductive. With respect, our culture has forgotten nuance and polite discourse. If I support BLM as a concept, I don't necessarily have to support all of the group's actions and factions. Just like how, as a socially conservative evangelical Chinese Christian (try putting that into a box, will you), I don't necessarily condone all of the crap which occurs in the Church (especially vis-a-vis their support of Trump down south, honestly how do they not see that man as the fraud that he is?).
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 3 Ft

Post by Weather101 »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:10 pm Dear mods, apologies for long and off topic rant I am about to embark on.

I'm going to wade into this mire and offer my agreement on both your statements (minus the amusing but crude analogy). In addition, I understand why the players may want to support the clause in such a manner, but the league's pathetic statement and then extremely reactionary response to the players demonstrates the lack of seriousness they take this with. Minorities deserve more from the league, and the fans deserve a better explanation. My frustration with the league is not the postponement but rather the manner in which it was handled (not announced beforehand but instead forced by the players). If they want to show they're serious, they should have also then pledged a certain %-age of the next x number of broadcast proceeds to organisations which help minorities. At present, this is no better than social media posturing (edit from this point forward) to score cheap political points in a cancel culture environment. So the problem is two-fold. People with power who don't care, and cancel culture making empty gestures worth more than actual action. Cancel culture is counterproductive. With respect, our culture has forgotten nuance and polite discourse. If I support BLM as a concept, I don't necessarily have to support all of the group's actions and factions. Just like how, as a socially conservative evangelical Chinese Christian (try putting that into a box, will you), I don't necessarily condone all of the crap which occurs in the Church (especially vis-a-vis their support of Trump down south, honestly how do they not see that man as the fraud that he is?).
That's a great way of putting it, I wasn't talking about the NHL because I feel like they just did it to save image since everyone was getting on them.

But remember this

For the people bitching these protests happening in sports won’t do a thing to create change, here’s some food for thought.

Who owns these teams?

Billionaires.

Who makes piles of money broadcasting games?

TV networks.

Players take action by cutting off those two groups revenue streams.

Who do politicians pander to?

Billionaires and corporations.

They have some political clout in this and they’re using it. Sh*t has got to change. The players are drawing the owners into the fight who have far more political clout to make change.

Most likely nothing will ever change, but you got to do something and they are trying, At least for me they got my respect for that.
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠👌
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 3 Ft

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:18 am W101 I don't disagree with you but I'm reluctantly going to to say we have to stop calling it racist and other labels. If our younger generation can debate and explain things in a more measured tone, itll go a long way and I'm guilty as charged.

I do wish the usa could address its institutional racism but I am not sure that the old school folks will have it. Its become too deeply ingrained to see if you are in it.

Sports professionals are only doing what they can. If you are against this, you are at odds with our young Canucks who were at the forefront of the postponement.

Perhaps we should all :arrow: to the politically sports thread?
You are right, That is my fault for labeling it as such.
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠👌
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

I too am 100% against racism and I understand it still exists, but I don’t think we need to stop a hockey game in Edmonton because an idiot cop shoot somebody seven times in Wisconsin.
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

600-603dam ridge on both the GEM and GFS. Never seen anything like it before. Probably won’t verify but still.

Edit. Euro has a 600dam ridge as well but centered further west.
North end of Shawnigan Lake. Southern Vancouver island. 500ft
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Monty wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 pm 600-603dam ridge on both the GEM and GFS. Never seen anything like it before. Probably won’t verify but still.

What kind of temperature do you see with this?
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

John wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm What kind of temperature do you see with this?
If the pattern actually verified as modeled around labour day, 35+ in the valley. Would be the strongest ridge ever measured in our area.
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

F48A92FE-C391-4444-9E7F-1A33283C7F8E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Monty wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 pm If the pattern actually verified as modeled around labour day, 35+ in the valley. Would be the strongest ridge ever measured in our area.
Sept 1988 repeat? 37.5c in Abbotsford on the 3rd
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Monty wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:47 pm F48A92FE-C391-4444-9E7F-1A33283C7F8E.jpeg
F***
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Monty wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:46 pm 600-603dam ridge on both the GEM and GFS. Never seen anything like it before. Probably won’t verify but still.

18z GFS...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

Typeing3 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:33 pm18z GFS...
Ugh

Would equate to local temperatures like this if it verified.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Bonovox wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:38 pm Ugh

Would equate to local temperatures like this if it verified.
Temps look pretty similar to the September 2017 heatwave.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
Monty
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Monty »

Typeing3 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm Temps look pretty similar to the September 2017 heatwave.
Sept 2017 and Sept 1988. What did the following Februaries have in common?