Farm And Garden Chat

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Farm And Garden Chat

Post by PortKells »

Looking like some much needed rain next week. The soil needs it!

Just waiting for the first spinach plants to pop out. Looking forward to planting potatoes later.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

My potatoes are trying to come up but they keep getting frost damaged, only 5 mornings ago, I had ice. It's been warmer since and there are some new shoots. Garlic is doing fabulously, looks like it's a month or two ahead of normal.

I have so many seedlings started, Dollartree has the small peat pots 12 for $1.25 so I'm using them. Tomatoes (5 types), now in bigger paper pots, basil (genovese, holy and sweet), Peruvian black mint, peanuts (they've just started, and the little peat pots are already too small - oops), lots of mulberry trees from seed, swiss chard, etc

Had to buy lettuce seeds and went to the local nursery today, all the westcoast seeds except for herbs were gone :shock: Bought a red butter crunch lettuce by a different company.

What is anyone else growing?
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:59 pm My potatoes are trying to come up but they keep getting frost damaged, only 5 mornings ago, I had ice. It's been warmer since and there are some new shoots. Garlic is doing fabulously, looks like it's a month or two ahead of normal.

I have so many seedlings started, Dollartree has the small peat pots 12 for $1.25 so I'm using them. Tomatoes (5 types), now in bigger paper pots, basil (genovese, holy and sweet), Peruvian black mint, peanuts (they've just started, and the little peat pots are already too small - oops), lots of mulberry trees from seed, swiss chard, etc

Had to buy lettuce seeds and went to the local nursery today, all the westcoast seeds except for herbs were gone :shock: Bought a red butter crunch lettuce by a different company.

What is anyone else growing?
we've been quite warm here (past few nights have been above 8C!) so no issues with freezing for me fortunately, my potatoes are starting to poke their heads above the dirt which is encouraging. my peas have taken off as well, even the "king tut peas" I got from Rareseeds, looking forward to those ones.

also have 5 types of tomatoes, some zuchinni and cucumbers in the peat seed starters, starting to take them for a daytime 'walk" to harden them before transferring to the garden or greenhouse. also trying serrano peppers this year so fingers crossed.

I bought lettuce and chard in seedling format so they are doing well.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:07 pm we've been quite warm here (past few nights have been above 8C!) so no issues with freezing for me fortunately, my potatoes are starting to poke their heads above the dirt which is encouraging. my peas have taken off as well, even the "king tut peas" I got from Rareseeds, looking forward to those ones.

also have 5 types of tomatoes, some zuchinni and cucumbers in the peat seed starters, starting to take them for a daytime 'walk" to harden them before transferring to the garden or greenhouse. also trying serrano peppers this year so fingers crossed.

I bought lettuce and chard in seedling format so they are doing well.
Those King Tut Peas sure are pretty, I'd love your report on how they perform because if you can have pretty as well as delicious and prolific why not!

You're definitely warmer than me, it's been lows of 5-6, 7 last night, hopefully a warming trend. I have yet to get my peas in but have lots of trays of seedlings I'm also 'walking' in and out, chasing the sun mostly.

I started some quince trees from seed, I made the most delicious jelly and paste (membrillo) and decided to start some seeds. I have about 20 of them. Also started some white mulberry from seeds, they're still tiny.

Still have to do something about a 'greenhouse' for the melons and sweet potatoes.
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:06 pm
I started some quince trees from seed, I made the most delicious jelly and paste (membrillo) and decided to start some seeds. I have about 20 of them. Also started some white mulberry from seeds, they're still tiny.

Still have to do something about a 'greenhouse' for the melons and sweet potatoes.
that is a neat idea about starting a quince tree. that is one I've wanted for a while, mostly because quince makes good cider :drunk:

We've got 3 bell peppers and a couple of eggplants that will go into the greenhouse. I have a bunch of serrano pepper seedlings that may end up in there as well.

I got a note from West Coast Seeds yesterday that they have cancelled their seedling sale due to the inability to maintain safe distance between people :( totally understandable. what I did like was that they announced they are donating the seedlings to the Delta Assist garden to help feed the less fortunate :clap:
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:43 am that is a neat idea about starting a quince tree. that is one I've wanted for a while, mostly because quince makes good cider :drunk:

We've got 3 bell peppers and a couple of eggplants that will go into the greenhouse. I have a bunch of serrano pepper seedlings that may end up in there as well.

I got a note from West Coast Seeds yesterday that they have cancelled their seedling sale due to the inability to maintain safe distance between people :( totally understandable. what I did like was that they announced they are donating the seedlings to the Delta Assist garden to help feed the less fortunate :clap:
Quince cider, that's a cool idea. If you buy quince this fall, just keep some seeds. I put mine in damp paper towel in a ziplock bag and in the fridge, they need to be cold for a while then took them out in January and they started sprouting right away. I have about 20 seedlings now.

I was thinking about their seedling sale, figured it would be cancelled, everything is. :( That's great idea though. Up here, they are asking people to donate their extra seedlings to be distributed through the food bank or grow extra.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Another year, another bylaw/neighbour dispute. This time, our neighbours landlord cut down most of the brush fence that was keeping our sheep in our side. Well guess who ended up going over there when the grass grew long?

Yesterday the neighbour showed up fuming that the sheep were on their side, saying things like we had months to fix it. This despite the fact we had a functioning brush fence that kept them out effectively for 10 years. Oh and the lady shouted that the sheep poop was poisonous to her children.

Oh and to add insult, the landlord is saying he has a letter from the city of surrey to spray round up and completely eliminate the brush fence. This is a lie as we called bylaw to confirm. He now has bylaw on his ass and I'm fully anticipating retaliation, as he is a scumbag.

This whole thing stinks. I want to be living in harmony with people around us. It just seems so hard in this day and age especially as a farmer in an area that scummy speculators have their greasy paws on.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

I know what it is like to live next to a scummy neighbor. I hope you win in this case.
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Hound wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:42 am I know what it is like to live next to a scummy neighbor. I hope you win in this case.
They’ve now nuked their whole property. Just decimated every living thing With one of those massive grinders that chews up trees like they’re nothing. Apparently they want to graze water buffalo on their land...makes absolutely no sense as it’s Now just a massive mud pit. Promises to be entertaining at least.

On our side, one new lamb and another on the way!
D505D0C2-0976-4EC3-958A-6A2F247D3B94.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

PortKells wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:12 am They’ve now nuked their whole property. Just decimated every living thing With one of those massive grinders that chews up trees like they’re nothing. Apparently they want to graze water buffalo on their land...makes absolutely no sense as it’s Now just a massive mud pit. Promises to be entertaining at least.

On our side, one new lamb and another on the way!

D505D0C2-0976-4EC3-958A-6A2F247D3B94.jpeg
What type of sheep do you have? I have Babydoll and love them.

I saw a herd of buffalo for sale on Vancouver Island, if they get those they'll need some heavy duty fencing. Not sure what is required for water buffalo...not even sure where you'd get water buffalo from...
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

Found them...lots on Vancouver Island: http://www.bcwbpa.com/
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:02 am What type of sheep do you have? I have Babydoll and love them.

I saw a herd of buffalo for sale on Vancouver Island, if they get those they'll need some heavy duty fencing. Not sure what is required for water buffalo...not even sure where you'd get water buffalo from...
Catadins and dorpers, hopefully I spelled that right. They are hair sheep, so no wool. Pretty cool animals, albeit loud and obnoxious at times.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

PortKells wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm Catadins and dorpers, hopefully I spelled that right. They are hair sheep, so no wool. Pretty cool animals, albeit loud and obnoxious at times.
Two of my neighbours had them, to me they were halfway between a wool sheep and a goat. Nice because you don't have to shear them, I still have 3 sheep to shear...at least it's not too warm out for them yet.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:41 pm Two of my neighbours had them, to me they were halfway between a wool sheep and a goat. Nice because you don't have to shear them, I still have 3 sheep to shear...at least it's not too warm out for them yet.
Yeah their hair just falls off. They look so ridiculous when its half fallen off. My aussie loves carrying pieces of it around with her lol.

Our farm is quite busy right now with youngsters. 13 new ducklings, 3 new lambs, plus baby turkies which holy cow are loud!

Vegetables are doing ok but we need some sustained sun here asap!

Hows it looking over on RC farm? I'm actually just about to pass through there tomorrow for our yearly cabin trip, might try to stop in at the gumboot for those peanut butter cookies mmm.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

PortKells wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:46 am Yeah their hair just falls off. They look so ridiculous when its half fallen off. My aussie loves carrying pieces of it around with her lol.

Our farm is quite busy right now with youngsters. 13 new ducklings, 3 new lambs, plus baby turkies which holy cow are loud!

Vegetables are doing ok but we need some sustained sun here asap!

Hows it looking over on RC farm? I'm actually just about to pass through there tomorrow for our yearly cabin trip, might try to stop in at the gumboot for those peanut butter cookies mmm.
Sounds busy at your place. What type of ducklings? I had some a long time ago, very messy, but so cute with their little flat bills.

It's finally a little quieter here, the rush on chicks has passed so I'm getting back into the garden...trying to find the garden under all the spring inspired weeds! I've had turkeys, just love them. They are so different from chickens.

Did you get to the Gumboot? Didn't see this until Wednesday, otherwise I would have waved as you went by! :lol: :lol:

If you see this before you head back, also try Claytons in Sechelt, I like the cream filled squares, and another member on here, Think it was Forest Gump, speaks highly of the cream filled donuts.