Farm And Garden Chat

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Farm And Garden Chat

Post by PortKells »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 pm Wow that's a massive loss so sory to hear Mr. Kells any way to rig some kind of early warning detection system? Cameras, alarms?
Just have to keep fortifying the fences. Oh and if I had more money I would get a bernese mountain dog and have him/her roam around at night.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 am Just have to keep fortifying the fences. Oh and if I had more money I would get a bernese mountain dog and have him/her roam around at night.
Nice breed, l was going to suggest perhaps a hawk but never mind. Most likely it would take off for the Similkameens. :lol:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

sometime you have to grab 'em by the pussy cat to keep your chickens safe. https://www.vicnews.com/news/video-burn ... -attacked/
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

PortKells wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:20 pm Wow. Coyotes are utterly ruthless right now. Dug into the duck cage last night and carried off 4 plus a goose. The poor goose :( i was just wrestling with him yesterday :(
They also took two lambs and a mama last week. Our only black lambs.
Such an insanely successful species despite all of humans expansion into their land. Hard not to hate them though.
I'm sorry to hear that, it's sad when you lose your animals. I wonder if they're feeding babies now.

We have a cougar in our area that killed a ewe last week, I'm putting my lambs inside whenever I go out.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

Granddaddyp2233 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 pm Just realized we had a garden thread here, what’s everyone planning on growing this season?
I just started 6 types of tomatoes, Peruvian Black Mint (it was really tasty last year), Black Goji, carrots (orange and purple), beets and mangels for the sheep and a few flowers.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:07 am so, did you all know that squirrels like kale? I knew they liked not quite ripe cherries and would strip my tree of those but this winter was out checking on the winter garlic and found a cheeky squirrel with the top of a dinosaur kale plant in his mouth. :shock: by the next day all my kale was gone.

no wonder we have healthy squirrels in this neighborhood.
I would never have thought squirrels ate kale, nice of you to be keeping them healthy :lol:
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Question for the more experienced gardeners/farmers and weather types

do I pick the green tomatoes and ripen indoors or do I let them wait on the vine in anticipation of the potential warm spike the ensembles are hinting at?
I think if the ensembles were showing continuous rain I'd pick and ripen indoors but there seems to be another window of sun in about 10 days.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:52 am Question for the more experienced gardeners/farmers and weather types

do I pick the green tomatoes and ripen indoors or do I let them wait on the vine in anticipation of the potential warm spike the ensembles are hinting at?
I think if the ensembles were showing continuous rain I'd pick and ripen indoors but there seems to be another window of sun in about 10 days.
If they are outside, I would pick them all asap so they don't get late blight. It's nasty and can kill your plant in 24 hours and then the tomatoes are unusable too, they rot and smell fishy. I read that as long as the tomatoes were turning even light green they will ripen.

If you have them in a green house I'd leave them and keep watching closely for blight and then pick them at the first sign.

How did they do this year? Mine were late, I've only picked a few and have lots of green ones still on the plants. They're in a greenhouse so I'll let them ripen up more.
IMG_3570.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Thanks! I got nervous yesterday afternoon and picked the majority. all plants were outside and we did well in terms of numbers but a couple of our trees are too tall now and block the afternoon sun at this time of the year so the larger tomatoes not ripening as fast as I would prefer. we have eaten a ton of the smaller varieties though.

(excuse the messy table)
20210913_181009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:14 am Thanks! I got nervous yesterday afternoon and picked the majority. all plants were outside and we did well in terms of numbers but a couple of our trees are too tall now and block the afternoon sun at this time of the year so the larger tomatoes not ripening as fast as I would prefer. we have eaten a ton of the smaller varieties though.

(excuse the messy table)
Wow! That's a lot of tomatoes! Nice haul!
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

I wonder how Weedmiester101 did with his bountiful harvest this year.
Remember it's all about them weed plants. :w101: :smoke:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »