Farm And Garden Chat

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Re: Farm And Garden Chat

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:27 pm I've seen them using a spiralizer on the cooking channel, they look fun.
they are! I have my original Crappy Tire Special that I use for zucchini because they are easy to do. I bought an attachment for my kitchenaid for firmer foods like sweet potato. outside of having to watch the size of the food on the kitchenaid attachment it works like a dream
My beans are up now with first leaves and so are the beets, I hope they don't cook in this weather!
I
I just pickled some of my golden beets yesterday, had so many we weren't going to get through them if we tried to eat them fresh.

Do you find the beans will do okay in the late summer/early fall? I've now got space and was thinking of putting in some bush beans into the cleared area but wasn't certain the weather would be too hot?
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

moonshadow0825 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:35 pm
Do you find the beans will do okay in the late summer/early fall? I've now got space and was thinking of putting in some bush beans into the cleared area but wasn't certain the weather would be too hot?
I'll let you know at the end of September :lol: :lol: I haven't started them so late, West Coast Seeds shows them until mid-July and if we have a mild fall...

I'm more worried about them getting too cold before setting beans than being too hot during the summer. I've started mine in the greenhouse also so hoping heat won't be a factor...so far so good, it's been fairly cool and they're looking great.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

My tomatoes are doing well, another couple of weeks and the cherry tomatoes should be ready for snacking. That's my favourite part of gardening is snacking right out of the garden. My late beets and beans are coming up and I put in a few lettuce seeds into the new greenhouse. The Farm Woman's Collective Melon has a tennis ball melon on it! The other has one a bit bigger than a golf ball. I'm excited to taste these, they're supposed to be very sweet. And I just put in some Sweet Magnolia pod peas will see if they produce before it's too late.

How is everyone else's garden doing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Granddaddyp2233
Weather Tracker
Weather Tracker

Post by Granddaddyp2233 »

Just realized we had a garden thread here, what’s everyone planning on growing this season?
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Granddaddyp2233 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 pm Just realized we had a garden thread here, what’s everyone planning on growing this season?
just planted my shelling peas yesterday in between hail storms :lol:

will be starting about 4 varieties of tomatoes, some eggplant and cukes indoors this week and planning on dragon tongue beans, bush beans, beets and patty pans in my raised beds.

just a little urban plot but we try to make the most of it

Ladner, elevation 4m
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

so, did you all know that squirrels like kale? I knew they liked not quite ripe cherries and would strip my tree of those but this winter was out checking on the winter garlic and found a cheeky squirrel with the top of a dinosaur kale plant in his mouth. :shock: by the next day all my kale was gone.

no wonder we have healthy squirrels in this neighborhood.

Ladner, elevation 4m
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Granddaddyp2233 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 pm Just realized we had a garden thread here, what’s everyone planning on growing this season?
Older and crankier ;)
Granddaddyp2233
Weather Tracker
Weather Tracker

I got a bunch of melon seeds and ghost chilli peppers. Just got them started on Saturday and hoping to see them sprout soon. Using a heat mat with a 72 cell tray indoors!
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Granddaddyp2233 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 am I got a bunch of melon seeds and ghost chilli peppers. Just got them started on Saturday and hoping to see them sprout soon. Using a heat mat with a 72 cell tray indoors!
I have grown Chilli peppers in the past but not sure if they were the Ghost variety or not. Good luck with the Peppers and Melons!
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Maybe :w101: :smoke: man will give us some growing tips. :lol:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:27 pm Maybe :w101: :smoke: man will give us some growing tips. :lol:
Weed seems so weather dependent to me.
Ready to grow our vegetables here, spring break gardening time!
Granddaddyp2233
Weather Tracker
Weather Tracker

When do you guys think the last frost will be, got my seedlings going and maybe 1-2 weeks ready to go outside. So far I got about 10 different melons going. Also ghost chilly peppers. Bunch of other stuff I’ll be growing directly outdoors! What’s your garden plans looking like?
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Wow. Coyotes are utterly ruthless right now. Dug into the duck cage last night and carried off 4 plus a goose. The poor goose :( i was just wrestling with him yesterday :(
They also took two lambs and a mama last week. Our only black lambs.
Such an insanely successful species despite all of humans expansion into their land. Hard not to hate them though.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:20 pm Wow. Coyotes are utterly ruthless right now. Dug into the duck cage last night and carried off 4 plus a goose. The poor goose :( i was just wrestling with him yesterday :(
They also took two lambs and a mama last week. Our only black lambs.
Such an insanely successful species despite all of humans expansion into their land. Hard not to hate them though.
Wow that's a massive loss so sory to hear Mr. Kells any way to rig some kind of early warning detection system? Cameras, alarms?
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Granddaddyp2233 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:36 pm When do you guys think the last frost will be, got my seedlings going and maybe 1-2 weeks ready to go outside. So far I got about 10 different melons going. Also ghost chilly peppers. Bunch of other stuff I’ll be growing directly outdoors! What’s your garden plans looking like?
This month has been very frosty the last few weeks. Probably more frost days then Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb combined. I would wait 2 weeks max. at least.
CYCW station