Farm And Garden Chat

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Farm And Garden Chat

Post by PortKells »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:52 pm Sounds busy at your place. What type of ducklings? I had some a long time ago, very messy, but so cute with their little flat bills.

It's finally a little quieter here, the rush on chicks has passed so I'm getting back into the garden...trying to find the garden under all the spring inspired weeds! I've had turkeys, just love them. They are so different from chickens.

Did you get to the Gumboot? Didn't see this until Wednesday, otherwise I would have waved as you went by! :lol: :lol:

If you see this before you head back, also try Claytons in Sechelt, I like the cream filled squares, and another member on here, Think it was Forest Gump, speaks highly of the cream filled donuts.
I did end up at the gumboot. Those peanut butter chocolate cookies....oh my.

Runner ducks and swedish ducks, apparently.

Cane back from vacation to bad news, the sheep broke in and ate our lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower! And our tomatoes are looking dicey from all the rain and lack of weeding. More farming ups and downs to come, surely.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

PortKells wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:49 am I did end up at the gumboot. Those peanut butter chocolate cookies....oh my.

Cane back from vacation to bad news, the sheep broke in and ate our lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower! And our tomatoes are looking dicey from all the rain and lack of weeding. More farming ups and downs to come, surely.
Bet the sheep were happy with those nice tender morsels.

I'll have to try the cookies, pb aren't my favourite but if they have chocolate in them!

Always ups and downs with farming. Dug up my garlic today, very happy with it. I'll post a picture later.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:49 am I did end up at the gumboot. Those peanut butter chocolate cookies....oh my.

Just caught up on the farm and garden show sorry about your neighbor Mr. Kells, :crazy: what was the outcome with the bylaw? sorry about the sheep having a salad at the expense of your garden. Hope he/she left some for you folks. Sounds like Ms. Creeker is having a good season. How is Stuffer's garden must be busy teaching his new born cloud formations. Anyway's yeah you can usually find my buddy Gumpball hanging out in the cookie section of his local grocery store eyeing all the peanut butter cookies. :lol: Safeway peanut cookies from their bakery are to die for. :thumbup:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:33 am Just caught up on the farm and garden show sorry about your neighbor Mr. Kells, :crazy: what was the outcome with the bylaw? sorry about the sheep having a salad at the expense of your garden. Hope he/she left some for you folks. Sounds like Ms. Creeker is having a good season. How is Stuffer's garden must be busy teaching his new born cloud formations. Anyway's yeah you can usually find my buddy Gumpball hanging out in the cookie section of his local grocery store eyeing all the peanut butter cookies. :lol: Safeway peanut cookies from their bakery are to die for. :thumbup:
Nope , miss creeker got it right , don't really care for cookies, donuts is where it's at , especially the excellent cream filled long johns at Claytons in Sechelt, I always have to get some when visiting the sunshine coast. The funny thing is I fell in love with cream filled long johns when I was a wee lad , most of the corner stores in my neighborhood in Vancouver used to sell them and I think they were like 10 cents, and when I got to high school (Eric Hamber) they also had them in the cafeteria. But nowadays they're hard to come by , I only know of Claytons and Save on foods that make these wonderful donuts.
ADLC_23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

Forrest Gump wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:02 pm Nope , miss creeker got it right , don't really care for cookies, donuts is where it's at , especially the excellent cream filled long johns at Claytons in Sechelt, I always have to get some when visiting the sunshine coast. The funny thing is I fell in love with cream filled long johns when I was a wee lad , most of the corner stores in my neighborhood in Vancouver used to sell them and I think they were like 10 cents, and when I got to high school (Eric Hamber) they also had them in the cafeteria. But nowadays they're hard to come by , I only know of Claytons and Save on foods that make these wonderful donuts.
ADLC_23.jpg
The best donuts imo were the jelly ones by Max/Max's Donuts and the ones from Woodwards...many, many years ago. Another favourite was Bigfoot donuts where they dipped the toes in chocolate, I haven't seen them in forever.

and just to keep this garden...I harvested my garlic a few days ago, very happy with it. Also built another greenhouse for the extra tomato plants I started that wouldn't fit in my usual greenhouse. they were slow this year so I figured I'd need them all. It's pretty rough work but will keep them dry when the rains return.
a green h 1.jpg
a garlic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 am The best donuts imo were the jelly ones by Max/Max's Donuts and the ones from Woodwards...many, many years ago. Another favourite was Bigfoot donuts where they dipped the toes in chocolate, I haven't seen them in forever.

and just to keep this garden...I harvested my garlic a few days ago, very happy with it. Also built another greenhouse for the extra tomato plants I started that wouldn't fit in my usual greenhouse. they were slow this year so I figured I'd need them all. It's pretty rough work but will keep them dry when the rains return.a green h 1.jpga garlic.jpg
That's strange , never heard of max/max or Bigfoot donuts. Was max/max the caf in woodwards?
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

Forrest Gump wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:10 pm That's strange , never heard of max/max or Bigfoot donuts. Was max/max the caf in woodwards?
I looked up Max's Donuts and there's one listed on Pender Street, Vancouver (1964). that might have been it, says closed permanently. They sold 12 packs at Costco. Bigfoot donuts were made at Woodwards (I think) and Super Valu (West Van) it was a foot shaped donut, not a foot long though :( and they dipped the toes in chocolate, the rest was glazed. Really good.

Donuts are much better than cookies, imo too.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:02 pm Nope , miss creeker got it right , don't really care for cookies, donuts is where it's at , especially the excellent cream filled long johns at Claytons in Sechelt, I always have to get some when visiting the sunshine coast. The funny thing is I fell in love with cream filled long johns when I was a wee lad , most of the corner stores in my neighborhood in Vancouver used to sell them and I think they were like 10 cents, and when I got to high school (Eric Hamber) they also had them in the cafeteria. But nowadays they're hard to come by , I only know of Claytons and Save on foods that make these wonderful donuts.
ADLC_23.jpg
Ah my apologies you old cagey vet, I misread the cookie/donut debate Mr. Kells is the cookie lover and my old dear pal Gumpster is the donut lover I stand corrected. :D
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 am
and just to keep this garden...I harvested my garlic a few days ago, very happy with it. Also built another greenhouse for the extra tomato plants I started that wouldn't fit in my usual greenhouse. they were slow this year so I figured I'd need them all. It's pretty rough work but will keep them dry when the rains return.
my little greenhouse is really hit and miss this year, I have 1 tomato that is doing really well, the second :thumbdown:

my outside tomatoes are finally showing fruit, lots of blossoms while the weather was coolish but no fruit until we got some regular sun.

zucchinis and patty pans on the other hand are their usual prodigious selves.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:59 pm my little greenhouse is really hit and miss this year, I have 1 tomato that is doing really well, the second :thumbdown:

my outside tomatoes are finally showing fruit, lots of blossoms while the weather was coolish but no fruit until we got some regular sun.

zucchinis and patty pans on the other hand are their usual prodigious selves.
That's interesting on your greenhouse, I always figure same conditions should give the same results but it doesn't seem to hold true for living things. My tomatoes are just starting to set, really late this year, I used potting soil to pamper them but it doesn't have any nutrients in it so they didn't grow, they sure took off when I put them into the ground though, mostly horse manure!

I just started dragon tongue bush beans, love them and beets, both in the greenhouse because it's the only weed free area I have. It will be interesting to see how they do in there.

The patty pan are so pretty and bright, I'm not a squash fan but a friend gave me a couple...they're still in my fridge waiting for inspiration. Maybe I'll do a stir fry with them. Any suggestions?
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

My father is an avid gardener and he harvested this beast of a courgette today. Kitchen objects for scale.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

VanCitySouth wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 pm My father is an avid gardener and he harvested this beast of a courgette today. Kitchen objects for scale.
That's a big one...you don't want to turn your back on them, they'll surprise you every time :lol: :lol:
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:54 pm That's a big one...you don't want to turn your back on them, they'll surprise you every time :lol: :lol:
Yes he swears it was the size of a gherkin just a couple days ago
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:05 pm That's interesting on your greenhouse, I always figure same conditions should give the same results but it doesn't seem to hold true for living things. My tomatoes are just starting to set, really late this year, I used potting soil to pamper them but it doesn't have any nutrients in it so they didn't grow, they sure took off when I put them into the ground though, mostly horse manure!

I just started dragon tongue bush beans, love them and beets, both in the greenhouse because it's the only weed free area I have. It will be interesting to see how they do in there.

The patty pan are so pretty and bright, I'm not a squash fan but a friend gave me a couple...they're still in my fridge waiting for inspiration. Maybe I'll do a stir fry with them. Any suggestions?
my dragon tongue beans were marvellous! wish I had planted more tbh. I've got lots of pole and bush beans but not as good as the dragon tongue, I'll be doing more next summer.

I do patty pan a couple of ways, when they are small I chop them up and saute with olive oil and a generous amount of garlic on medium to medium low heat, just enough that a few brown but the rest get nice and soft,it takes about 15-20 minutes on my gas range. I also top with garlic scape or garlic basil salt that I get at the Ladner market. my daughter who is also not a huge fan of summer squash tops hers with romano cheese. I should probably note that you have to like garlic for this recipe :D

for those larger, dessert plate size patty pans I just spiralize and use for "zoodles", I found about 3 of those this week and Tuesday night made the zoodles and did a ground beef, olive, artichoke heart tomato sauce to put on top.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

moonshadow0825 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 am my dragon tongue beans were marvellous! wish I had planted more tbh. I've got lots of pole and bush beans but not as good as the dragon tongue, I'll be doing more next summer.

I do patty pan a couple of ways, when they are small I chop them up and saute with olive oil and a generous amount of garlic on medium to medium low heat, just enough that a few brown but the rest get nice and soft,it takes about 15-20 minutes on my gas range. I also top with garlic scape or garlic basil salt that I get at the Ladner market. my daughter who is also not a huge fan of summer squash tops hers with romano cheese. I should probably note that you have to like garlic for this recipe :D

for those larger, dessert plate size patty pans I just spiralize and use for "zoodles", I found about 3 of those this week and Tuesday night made the zoodles and did a ground beef, olive, artichoke heart tomato sauce to put on top.
Those are good ideas, I'll try the saute with oil and garlic, it sounds good. I do like garlic, just harvested mine last week and cleaned it up yesterday, it looks like I was a couple of days too late on some of it because it has split the covering...I'll use it up soon.

I've seen them using a spiralizer on the cooking channel, they look fun.

My beans are up now with first leaves and so are the beets, I hope they don't cook in this weather!