Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by Glacier »

Typeing3 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:02 pm As we've discussed, transparency is very important. Another key statistic which should be included in the overall provincial stats is the % of deaths, and hospitalized/ICU patients with other underlying conditions or comorbidities (ex. heart disease, obesity, etc).
My source at Kelowna General Hospital says that there are 29 Covid patients in the hospital. Almost of them are either obese or have serious comorbidities.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:25 pm My source at Kelowna General Hospital says that there are 29 Covid patients in the hospital. Almost of them are either obese or have serious comorbidities.
There are tons of people with compromised immune systems. I assumed people understood that's who we are trying to protect. If this thing runs rampant those people will be dropping like flies and I guarantee most of us will know someone.

As far as obesity is concerned. There are many cases where disability, mental health struggles and other issues come into play. I have a family member who smokes and is overweight. Are they just a lazy person or is it their horrific childhood and ptsd that affects their daily life choices?
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

I don't think any of us are suggesting the blame should be one anyone with underlying conditions if they also allegedly contract covid.

Just that more transparent data on hospitalizations, ICU, and deaths with those stats (underlying conditions or comorbidities) included would be greatly appreciated.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:08 am I don't think any of us are suggesting the blame should be one anyone with underlying conditions if they also allegedly contract covid.

Just that more transparent data on hospitalizations, ICU, and deaths with those stats (underlying conditions or comorbidities) included would be greatly appreciated.
I totally get that. I want transparency too, where it makes sense. Im just curious if comorbidities changes anything for folks. I've always just assumed the majority of those dying or hospitalized were the more vulnerable among us. Would seeing that in number form change public policy going forward? Also I believe that information would be considered private and therefore illegal to release to the public.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:22 pm I totally get that. I want transparency too, where it makes sense. Im just curious if comorbidities changes anything for folks. I've always just assumed the majority of those dying or hospitalized were the more vulnerable among us. Would seeing that in number form change public policy going forward? Also I believe that information would be considered private and therefore illegal to release to the public.
Unless they're naming people, I don't think those kind of statistics are considered private.

For example, the (American) CDC's statistics include the number and % of covid deaths with comorbidities (like heart disease, pneumonia, etc).
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:08 am I don't think any of us are suggesting the blame should be one anyone with underlying conditions if they also allegedly contract covid.
Allegedly? Am I missing something?
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 pm Allegedly? Am I missing something?
Sorry, should have clarified and reading it over again it might not have been the right word in that context

Just in the context of death stats... If someone who tests positive for covid and has one or multiple comorbidities it can be seemingly in the grey scale of what was the "true" cause of death.

Which is why it's sometimes better to use the overall total death rate when trying to understand the extent covid has changed that stat year over year in any region/country. I made a pretty detailed post about that (with the stats) a while back if anyone wanted to check it out.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Typeing3 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:07 pm Sorry, should have clarified and reading it over again it might not have been the right word in that context

Just in the context of death stats... If someone who tests positive for covid and has one or multiple comorbidities it can be seemingly in the grey scale of what was the "true" cause of death.

Which is why it's sometimes better to use the overall total death rate when trying to understand the extent covid has changed that stat year over year in any region/country. I made a pretty detailed post about that (with the stats) a while back if anyone wanted to check it out.
Why is it all of a sudden the dumpster fire 🔥 that was Ontario through the last 3 waves is all of a sudden never heard from on the news and now allowing full capacity for sporting events. :roll: oh well the center of the universe always prevails l guess.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Joe Biden was asked what percentage needs to be vaccinated before we can go back to normal, and he said 97 to 98%!

We are never going back to normal!

BTW, Harvard is going back to remote learning after some outbreaks... and they're at 95% vaccinated.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:56 pm Joe Biden was asked what percentage needs to be vaccinated before we can go back to normal, and he said 97 to 98%!

BTW, Harvard is going back to remote learning after some outbreaks... and they're at 95% vaccinated.
That's absolutely insane 😳 and scary Glace, to think this may go on for years up and down wave after wave.
I heard this pandemic has killed more than the Spanish flu in the U.S. probably worldwide as well Glace maybe you could crunch the numbers worldwide.?
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

The unvaccinated are currently 25 times more likely to be hospitalized in BC according to Adrian dix.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:35 pm The unvaccinated are currently 25 times more likely to be hospitalized in BC according to Adrian dix.
l really don't know who to believe anymore Kells. :think:
CYCW station
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:09 am l really don't know who to believe anymore Kells. :think:
The number seems to really be dropping everyday. Last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago) the number was 47 times more likely. I suppose it's because those who got shots over 6 months ago are now losing immunity.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:05 pm The number seems to really be dropping everyday. Last week (or maybe 2 weeks ago) the number was 47 times more likely. I suppose it's because those who got shots over 6 months ago are now losing immunity.
Yep and those people will fortunately be getting boosters. Their immune systems will tend to be weaker as well so immunity might fade faster.

Also...more people are getting vaccinated and there are less and less candidates for unvaxxed hospitalizations. The delta variant has swept through that population and probably running out of unvaccinated hosts.

25 times more likely is still a huge number. The other number that hasn't changed much is that over 85% of ICU visits are unvaccinated. Aka this wave is largely unnecessary and highly avoidable.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:56 pm Joe Biden was asked what percentage needs to be vaccinated before we can go back to normal, and he said 97 to 98%!

These vaccinations were never pretending to be perfect. People still have to be smart.

Do you have a clip of that Joe Biden quote? That seems fairly unreasonable although he is no more an epidemiologist than you or me.