Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by Abby_wx »

4thwave.PNG

Numbers of new cases and active cases are already showing signs of rolling over. Hospitalizations will continue to increase for a while yet as they lag typically lag new cases by about 10 days.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wave peaks even before the vaccine passports go into effect. Of course the passports will be touted as a success, nonetheless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Abby_wx wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:27 pm 4thwave.PNG

Numbers of new cases and active cases are already showing signs of rolling over. Hospitalizations will continue to increase for a while yet as they lag typically lag new cases by about 10 days.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wave peaks even before the vaccine passports go into effect. Of course the passports will be touted as a success, nonetheless.
Hopefully Abby sr. but l'm not sure Canada's chief medical officer Theresa Tam said today 15000 cases aday by month's end if more ppl don't get vacc'd up.
Not sure where she gets that modelling from.
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

I wonder what the government's game plan is once the vaccination rate plateaus . In other words will they take their foot off the gas pedal and drop the passport thing once they reach 85%? 90%? Surely they know they'll never get 100%.

Heard on radio that fast food restaurants would be exempt from needing passports but can't find any confirmation. Some low income and homeless people probably rely on these places.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:35 pm Hopefully Abby sr. but l'm not sure Canada's chief medical officer Theresa Tam said today 15000 cases aday by month's end if more ppl don't get vacc'd up.
Not sure where she gets that modelling from.
That's for all of Canada, while the chart I posted above is just for BC. I have no idea, but she often seems to focus on the worst case scenario.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

They have caused a bump in vaccinations but that is temporary and mostly just by people didn't feel like it or scared of needles or whatever. The hardcores are not giving in. The restrictions however are also working to decrease new cases as they have throughout the pandemic. I just wish it didn't have to come to this.
Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

So the latest thing I'm hearing about is people afraid to vote because *gasp* there might be unvaccinated people at the polling stations. This is a good example of the hysteria you're talking about, T3. Who are these people, and what have they been doing for the last 18 months? I'm just going to assume they never leave their homes.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:16 am So the latest thing I'm hearing about is people afraid to vote because *gasp* there might be unvaccinated people at the polling stations. This is a good example of the hysteria you're talking about, T3. Who are these people, and what have they been doing for the last 18 months? I'm just going to assume they never leave their homes.
That's probably a pretty low number of people. T3 has also stated on numerous occasions that we shouldn't judge large groups of people in this way. Nobody I know is afraid to vote, just too lazy or tuned out. IMO political disengagement due to the terrible state of leadership is a bigger issue here with covid as a convenient excuse.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:16 am So the latest thing I'm hearing about is people afraid to vote because *gasp* there might be unvaccinated people at the polling stations. This is a good example of the hysteria you're talking about, T3. Who are these people, and what have they been doing for the last 18 months? I'm just going to assume they never leave their homes.
As PK said, I'm always wary of judging people based on large groups. However, it definitely stands to reason there are many who may be too afraid to vote in person... especially based on recent rhetoric (ex. mass hysteria) and the vaccine passport mandates, both of which are connected.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

PortKells wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:43 am That's probably a pretty low number of people. T3 has also stated on numerous occasions that we shouldn't judge large groups of people in this way. Nobody I know is afraid to vote, just too lazy or tuned out. IMO political disengagement due to the terrible state of leadership is a bigger issue here with covid as a convenient excuse.
Yeah, we are probably talking about a vocal minority who wouldn't have voted anyway, but now they have another reason not to. Apathy is more likely the culprit.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Bonovox

Post by Bonovox »

PortKells wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:06 am The restrictions however are also working to decrease new cases as they have throughout the pandemic. I just wish it didn't have to come to this.
I'm glad they introduced further restrictions to quell the current case load. I too wish it didn't have to come to this, but not surprised really.

Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

https://globalnews.ca/news/8148373/cana ... psos-poll/

According to an Ipsos poll of 1500 people commissioned by Global News, 24% feel unsafe voting in person.

"Over two-thirds of those surveyed — 68 per cent — said it should be mandatory for poll workers to be vaccinated by the time Election Day comes."

I would take the numbers with a grain of salt, but it's still likely a significant number of people.

I was surprised by the numbers, but I've seen people on forums and social media making similar comments. Maybe some are just making excuses, but I think many are genuinely afraid.

It wasn't so long ago that NO ONE was vaccinated, but now it's suddenly scary to be in the same room with the unvaccinated. This is a good example of tribal thinking, which is only being exacerbated by the vaccine passport announcement and the associated hysteria on both sides of that issue.

It should be emphasized that being vaccinated doesn't prevent someone from spreading COVID, but it does prevent serious illness in almost everyone who is vaccinated. People should be more concerned about their own vaccination status than that of others. It's a myth to think that you can't get COVID just because everyone in the room is vaccinated.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Bonovox

Post by Bonovox »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:17 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/8148373/cana ... psos-poll/

According to an Ipsos poll of 1500 people commissioned by Global News, 24% feel unsafe voting in person.

"Over two-thirds of those surveyed — 68 per cent — said it should be mandatory for poll workers to be vaccinated by the time Election Day comes."

I would take the numbers with a grain of salt, but it's still likely a significant number of people.

I was surprised by the numbers, but I've seen people on forums and social media making similar comments. Maybe some are just making excuses, but I think many are genuinely afraid.

It wasn't so long ago that NO ONE was vaccinated, but now it's suddenly scary to be in the same room with the unvaccinated. This is a good example of tribal thinking, which is only being exacerbated by the vaccine passport announcement and the associated hysteria on both sides of that issue.

It should be emphasized that being vaccinated doesn't prevent someone from spreading COVID, but it does prevent serious illness in almost everyone who is vaccinated. People should be more concerned about their own vaccination status than that of others. It's a myth to think that you can't get COVID just because everyone in the room is vaccinated.
Those numbers aren't really all that surprising. 18% was the number of people who felt unsafe voting in the 2020 provincial election. Slightly less than the 24%, but in the neighbourhood.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/British-Col ... For-Change

Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Why isn't someone in the media questioning the government as to why restaurant workers don't need a vaccine passport while customers do. A waiter,waitress,or hostess are probably there for 8 hrs, while a customer is there for maybe 1 1/2 hrs. Maybe masks will still be mandatory therefore it's ok.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:06 pm Why isn't someone in the media questioning the government as to why restaurant workers don't need a vaccine passport while customers do. A waiter,waitress,or hostess are probably there for 8 hrs, while a customer is there for maybe 1 1/2 hrs. Maybe masks will still be mandatory therefore it's ok.
Do you really want them too?
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

John wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm Do you really want them too?
Everyone above 30 should really take the vaccine but no one should be made to.