Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by Typeing3 »

John wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:19 pm Everyone above 30 should really take the vaccine but no one should be made to.
Agreed! :thumbup:
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

John wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm Do you really want them too?
Not really, just don't like all the discrepancies, hypocrisy, and unfairness. At least in Quebec they recognize the lunacy of vaccine requirements for weddings and funerals. Here in BC just imagine unvaccinated family members like a father of the bride or mother of the groom going to the wedding venue and getting turned away by a bouncer or security guard , lol, that would be utterly ridiculous.

If we have to have something I prefer Israel's system where covid vaccinations are not the only option, proof of natural immunity from having Covid is allowed, and so is a negative test result.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm As PK said, I'm always wary of judging people based on large groups. However, it definitely stands to reason there are many who may be too afraid to vote in person... especially based on recent rhetoric (ex. mass hysteria) and the vaccine passport mandates, both of which are connected.
Interesting. So let's just put aside the message of trying to understand each other if a statistic supports your mass hysteria argument. Let's forget just how many people out there either have or live with someone who could easily lose their life from covid, aka someone with comorbidities, very old, etc.

But when people show up and disrupt hospitals, forcing cancer patients to walk through a crowd in a pandemic, harass and allegedly assault health care workers, not a mention of mass hysteria.

The mass hysteria thing appears to be a judgemental buzz phrase. Judging people we disagree with as hysterical media following sheep who can't think for themselves. I encourage you to follow your own good advice here and stop judging folks without taking into account the diversity of opinions that may exist even if they differ from our own.

Personally, I'm not afraid to vote in person. But I sure would understand if my 86 year old aunt was. Breakthrough cases happen and the amount of immunocompromised folks out there is likely larger then we realize.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:37 am Interesting. So let's just put aside the message of trying to understand each other if a statistic supports your mass hysteria argument. Let's forget just how many people out there either have or live with someone who could easily lose their life from covid, aka someone with comorbidities, very old, etc.

But when people show up and disrupt hospitals, forcing cancer patients to walk through a crowd in a pandemic, harass and allegedly assault health care workers, not a mention of mass hysteria.

The mass hysteria thing appears to be a judgemental buzz phrase. Judging people we disagree with as hysterical media following sheep who can't think for themselves. I encourage you to follow your own good advice here and stop judging folks without taking into account the diversity of opinions that may exist even if they differ from our own.

Personally, I'm not afraid to vote in person. But I sure would understand if my 86 year old aunt was. Breakthrough cases happen and the amount of immunocompromised folks out there is likely larger then we realize.
And let's also not forget just how many people out there either have or live with someone who could easily lose their life from plenty of things other than covid, aka someone with comorbidities, very old, etc. Did you know that 247,019 people over the age of 60 died in Canada in 2019? That's a huge number, so I guess we should restrict who votes in person because - judging by those numbers - some people are too vulnerable to even step outside.

The key difference in the argument here is those groups who protested in front of hospitals have little or no power (i.e. lack of influence on political policy, wealth, media, academia, big corporations, or big pharma) However, of course it is an example of the recent mass hysteria... it's an obvious recoil effect. All one needs to do is trace back every single event in the last one and a half years and see what it's lead to on both extremes of the spectrum.

Whereas those who supported lockdowns, want vaccine mandates and passports have plenty of support...whether it's through government, the wealthy, or large corporation backing, primarily acheived through an academia and mass media which is increasingly afraid of questioning the narrative or investigative journalism.

Oh, and thanks for telling me "my own good advice". Though it sure seems as though there may be many out there who are so insecure to hear contrarian opinions to the dominant narrative that their only response is to provoke and attack others, with actual judgemental buzz phrases, on a personal level. Some of these I've already mentioned before but that includes "covidiot", "walking diseases", "threats to our society", "genocide perpetrators and creators", along with "grandma and grandpa killers".
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

PortKells wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:37 am Interesting. So let's just put aside the message of trying to understand each other if a statistic supports your mass hysteria argument. Let's forget just how many people out there either have or live with someone who could easily lose their life from covid, aka someone with comorbidities, very old, etc.

Pretty spot on, mate. :thumbup:
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

The constant name calling and push by the mainstream media to blame and shame the unvaccinated should be concerning to any citizen who does not want a two-tier society where everybody hates each other. However, such is the likely result if this "us versus them" attitude continues to dominate mainstream thinking. The vaccine passports will likely only make such division worse. To be clear, I am not at all against vaccines. However, I am against any means of mandating vaccines. It is a personal choice what one puts in their body. There are many legitimate reasons why somebody may not wish to get vaccinated, and they should not be treated any different than anybody else. What vaccine passports do is a create an environment by which some people are given more privileges than others based on their choice of what to put or not put in their body. This all amounts to medical discrimination and is a very scary direction for the world to be headed.

One of the major arguments in support of vaccine passports is that the unvaccinated are overwhelming the hospitals. However, I'd be interested to know how many vaccinated individuals smoke or have ever driven a vehicle having had too much to drink. Both have the potential to cause health issues, injuries, fatalities, and result in avoidable hospitalizations. The reality is that we are imperfect humans. Therefore, to blame and shame the unvaccinated is unfair, likely hypocritical in many cases, and creates unnecessary division.

Now throughout this entire pandemic, one thing that has shocked me is the amount of people demanding more restrictions than what has already been imposed by the government. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day where instead of fighting for our freedoms, people would be fighting for more restrictions. Now this isn't to say that reasonable measures to slow the spread of Covid while we awaited a safe and effective vaccine is all bad. But having said that, one has to define reasonable and consider the impacts such measures have to mental health and the economy. This is something I feel has unfortunately been neglected throughout the pandemic.

What people need to realize is that life is and always has been full of risks. Its impossible for man to stop the spread of a virus. We can slow it with certain measures such as social distancing, wearing masks in higher risk settings, and getting vaccinated if one is able and comfortable. However, Covid will likely be around for a long time. We will never be able to create a risk free environment and therefore, we need to learn to adapt rather than live in a constant state of fear and unrealistic restrictions.
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

AbbyJr wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:14 pm The constant name calling and push by the mainstream media to blame and shame the unvaccinated should be concerning to any citizen who does not want a two-tier society where everybody hates each other. However, such is the likely result if this "us versus them" attitude continues to dominate mainstream thinking. The vaccine passports will likely only make such division worse. To be clear, I am not at all against vaccines. However, I am against any means of mandating vaccines. It is a personal choice what one puts in their body. There are many legitimate reasons why somebody may not wish to get vaccinated, and they should not be treated any different than anybody else. What vaccine passports do is a create an environment by which some people are given more privileges than others based on their choice of what to put or not put in their body. This all amounts to medical discrimination and is a very scary direction for the world to be headed.

One of the major arguments in support of vaccine passports is that the unvaccinated are overwhelming the hospitals. However, I'd be interested to know how many vaccinated individuals smoke or have ever driven a vehicle having had too much to drink. Both have the potential to cause health issues, injuries, fatalities, and result in avoidable hospitalizations. The reality is that we are imperfect humans. Therefore, to blame and shame the unvaccinated is unfair, likely hypocritical in many cases, and creates unnecessary division.

Now throughout this entire pandemic, one thing that has shocked me is the amount of people demanding more restrictions than what has already been imposed by the government. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day where instead of fighting for our freedoms, people would be fighting for more restrictions. Now this isn't to say that reasonable measures to slow the spread of Covid while we awaited a safe and effective vaccine is all bad. But having said that, one has to define reasonable and consider the impacts such measures have to mental health and the economy. This is something I feel has unfortunately been neglected throughout the pandemic.

What people need to realize is that life is and always has been full of risks. Its impossible for man to stop the spread of a virus. We can slow it with certain measures such as social distancing, wearing masks in higher risk settings, and getting vaccinated if one is able and comfortable. However, Covid will likely be around for a long time. We will never be able to create a risk free environment and therefore, we need to learn to adapt rather than live in a constant state of fear and unrealistic restrictions.

Well said junior! Eventually the others will come around to this opinion also I am sure.
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

John wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:30 am Well said junior! Eventually the others will come around to this opinion also I am sure.
I suspect not, but we'll see.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:45 pm https://youtu.be/6v5VrpgXPm4
Are we ready for a booster shot?
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Abby_wx wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:17 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/8148373/cana ... psos-poll/

According to an Ipsos poll of 1500 people commissioned by Global News, 24% feel unsafe voting in person.

"Over two-thirds of those surveyed — 68 per cent — said it should be mandatory for poll workers to be vaccinated by the time Election Day comes."

I would take the numbers with a grain of salt, but it's still likely a significant number of people.

I was surprised by the numbers, but I've seen people on forums and social media making similar comments. Maybe some are just making excuses, but I think many are genuinely afraid.

It wasn't so long ago that NO ONE was vaccinated, but now it's suddenly scary to be in the same room with the unvaccinated. This is a good example of tribal thinking, which is only being exacerbated by the vaccine passport announcement and the associated hysteria on both sides of that issue.

It should be emphasized that being vaccinated doesn't prevent someone from spreading COVID, but it does prevent serious illness in almost everyone who is vaccinated. People should be more concerned about their own vaccination status than that of others. It's a myth to think that you can't get COVID just because everyone in the room is vaccinated.
A friend of mine was playing hockey two weeks ago when 5 of the guys was dumb enough to go out and share a joint afterwards. 4 of them came down with Covid a couple days later. All of them where vaccinated. I feel like when you have a situation where you know everyone is vaccinated, you let your guard down and this spreads more Covid quicker. Another friend who recently had Covid told me that his doctor told him just that (complacency from having so many vaccinated is one of the reasons we had so much increase over the summer).
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 pm A friend of mine was playing hockey two weeks ago when 5 of the guys was dumb enough to go out and share a joint afterwards. 4 of them came down with Covid a couple days later. All of them where vaccinated. I feel like when you have a situation where you know everyone is vaccinated, you let your guard down and this spreads more Covid quicker. Another friend who recently had Covid told me that his doctor told him just that (complacency from having so many vaccinated is one of the reasons we had so much increase over the summer).
Even though l'm double vacc'd l'm still careful it just comes naturally now after what we've gone through the last year and ahalf. Can someone explain do we have to show a vaccine card or do we have the option to have a QR code on our phone? I didn't catch the news briefing from Dr. H.
CYCW station
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Glacier wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:01 pm A friend of mine was playing hockey two weeks ago when 5 of the guys was dumb enough to go out and share a joint afterwards. 4 of them came down with Covid a couple days later. All of them where vaccinated. I feel like when you have a situation where you know everyone is vaccinated, you let your guard down and this spreads more Covid quicker. Another friend who recently had Covid told me that his doctor told him just that (complacency from having so many vaccinated is one of the reasons we had so much increase over the summer).
Probably smoking a joint wasn’t that good for them either
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:50 am Probably smoking a joint wasn’t that good for them either
John! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: post of the day. :w101: :goodpost:
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:50 am Probably smoking a joint wasn’t that good for them either
There aren't many health risks from the occasional J. I smoke it all the time and I'm fine. But sharing a joint is definitely not advisable.