Music

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Re: Music

Post by Forrest Gump »

Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Forrest Gump wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:21 pm That's very good Vancity. Have you seen agt 2020 winner Poet Brandon Leake ?

I suppose writing original songs and poems are quite similar,for some reason rewriting lyrics to make a parody song comes fairly easy to me,and although I've never tried it I think writing an original song would be much more difficult for me,especially when I can't read music or play any instruments .

Musically do you like U2?
Thanks. Haven't heard of Leake, mainly stayed away from reality shows like that tbh.

I think parodying is a talent in and of itself, related to but almost separate from writing an original. You could always try writing lyrics and letting a more musically inclined friend put it to a tune!

I have heard U2 once or twice and I like it when I hear it, but I sort of grew up with what my parents listen to and they went a different direction so not too much exposure to them. I think I see why you would mention them though, because I sort of imagine this poem/lyrics existing in a metal/rock opera if it were to become a song.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Post by Roberts Creeker »

Posted by Tyweather in Jan 2022. I think this is the only song to use Atmospheric River so it needs to be in here with the music.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vide ... eo-4954082
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Heard Meat Loaf passed away he was 74, all the greats l grew up listening to are passing away too many to list in the last few years.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:55 am Heard Meat Loaf passed away he was 74, all the greats l grew up listening to are passing away too many to list in the last few years.
Covid has taken some of my favourites. Meat Loaf, John Prine, Charley Pride, Joe Diffie, Alan Merrill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQ12qjiDBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrALjg0-xQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRIRTQ_k-Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I51JXpcLwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AT_Pbtyid0
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Cheers, that's a great list and for me John Prine was an absolute tragedy. I had only just gotten into his music when I heard he died. I didn't know how important he was to folk but his storytelling is what sets him apart.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

PortKells wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:50 pm Cheers, that's a great list and for me John Prine was an absolute tragedy. I had only just gotten into his music when I heard he died. I didn't know how important he was to folk but his storytelling is what sets him apart.
I only heard of John Prine a year or two before his death. I've listened to his music a lot ever since!

I'm trying to convince my wife to perform this song with me at my brother's wedding, but she says the lyrics are a little too questionable for her. So haven't convinced her yet.

https://youtu.be/P8tTwXv4glY
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:58 pm I only heard of John Prine a year or two before his death. I've listened to his music a lot ever since!

I'm trying to convince my wife to perform this song with me at my brother's wedding, but she says the lyrics are a little too questionable for her. So haven't convinced her yet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Welp Glace that all depends how well you get along with your soon to be sister inlaw. :lol:
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:58 pm I only heard of John Prine a year or two before his death. I've listened to his music a lot ever since!

https://youtu.be/P8tTwXv4glY
That's good stuff right there. :thumbup:
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

On your wife's side ,definitely NOT . Unless you can change the lyrics and theme to something more family friendly, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of the song. Only you know your audience, but from a Christian's perspective it's a no go.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:34 pm On your wife's side ,definitely NOT . Unless you can change the lyrics and theme to something more family friendly, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of the song. Only you know your audience, but from a Christian's perspective it's a no go.
Honest question. Is there something in the book that tells you not to speak of sexual topics openly? Even if so, I don't know I think its just a healthy thing to be able to joke about stuff like that, especially in poetry like this.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:34 pm On your wife's side ,definitely NOT . Unless you can change the lyrics and theme to something more family friendly, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of the song. Only you know your audience, but from a Christian's perspective it's a no go.
Well I'm a Christian and I think the song is hilarious. It would be quite fitting for my brother since he's a bit rough around the edges. So is my mom, but not sure how his bride's family would take it. They've been common law for years now, and have a daughter so not like it's a white wedding.

But yes, I'm half joking about actually doing it at a wedding. I don't think Mrs. Glacier would ever agree to do this song in any setting -- though she says it's a cute love song.

🙃
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:48 pm Well I'm a Christian and I think the song is hilarious. It would be quite fitting for my brother since he's a bit rough around the edges. So is my mom, but not sure how his bride's family would take it. They've been common law for years now, and have a daughter so not like it's a white wedding.

But yes, I'm half joking about actually doing it at a wedding. I don't think Mrs. Glacier would ever agree to do this song in any setting -- though she says it's a cute love song.

🙃
:lol: l knew you were joking Glace, l could see it done at a bachelor party.
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

Glacier wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:48 pm Well I'm a Christian and I think the song is hilarious. It would be quite fitting for my brother since he's a bit rough around the edges. So is my mom, but not sure how his bride's family would take it. They've been common law for years now, and have a daughter so not like it's a white wedding.

🙃
Sorry brother, maybe I'm old fashioned ,old school, but not my cup of tea,plus if I even thought of singing that song ,especially at a wedding,my wife would certainly kill me. Like sardineman said,maybe at a bachelor party. Having said that I went to a church many years ago where the pastor went to a bachelor party where some questionable things occurred and he later apologized. Being a Christian is not easy, being salt and light of the world is not easy,have to remind myself of scriptures like Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..

Are you doing a speech? Have you thought of your own song parody ? For example here's a parody I did for my wife's 60th birthday,and sang half of it with a Bob Dylan accent. A couple of inside jokes there but I'm sure you'll get the gist. This was the main song but I also did some parody snippets of Miss American pie, King of the road, and I Just died in your Arms Tonight.

Blowing in the Wind

How many spiders must a man have to kill
Before she calls him a man
How many legs must a man have to pull
Before she knows her leg is being pulled
How many times must new recipes be cooked
Before she poisons her guests
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

How many times must a son squish her arms
Before she turns into a marshmallow
How many times must a wife lose her keys
Before she really loses her keys
How many nick nacks does it take to be enough
Before enough is enough

How many roads must a man travel down
Before she drives him insane
How many pedestrians does a man have to dodge
before he respects her great vision
How many times must she call Jay walkers idiots
Before they're forever banned?

How many years must vehicles exist
Before they invent the passenger eject button?
How does a man drive without his wife in the car
For I will never never know
How many lives must a wife have to save
Before they thank her with a song

And they were singing
Someone saved someone saved someone saved my life tonight,my life tonight x3
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:37 pm Sorry brother, maybe I'm old fashioned ,old school, but not my cup of tea,plus if I even thought of singing that song ,especially at a wedding,my wife would certainly kill me. Like sardineman said,maybe at a bachelor party. Having said that I went to a church many years ago where the pastor went to a bachelor party where some questionable things occurred and he later apologized. Being a Christian is not easy, being salt and light of the world is not easy,have to remind myself of scriptures like Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..

Are you doing a speech? Have you thought of your own song parody ? For example here's a parody I did for my wife's 60th birthday,and sang half of it with a Bob Dylan accent. A couple of inside jokes there but I'm sure you'll get the gist. This was the main song but I also did some parody snippets of Miss American pie, King of the road, and I Just died in your Arms Tonight.

Blowing in the Wind

How many spiders must a man have to kill
Before she calls him a man
How many legs must a man have to pull
Before she knows her leg is being pulled
How many times must new recipes be cooked
Before she poisons her guests

How many times must a son squish her arms
Before she turns into a marshmallow
How many times must a wife lose her keys
Before she really loses her keys
How many nick nacks does it take to be enough
Before enough is enough

How many roads must a man travel down
Before she drives him insane
How many pedestrians does a man have to dodge
before he respects her great vision
How many times must she call Jay walkers idiots
Before they're forever banned?

How many years must vehicles exist
Before they invent the passenger eject button?
How does a man drive without his wife in the car
For I will never never know
How many lives must a wife have to save
Before they thank her with a song

And they were singing
Someone saved someone saved someone saved my life tonight,my life tonight x3
:welldone:
CYCW station