Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Re: Politics

Post by VanCitySouth »

Bonovox wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:01 pm I more or less feel the same in a certain way. I feel like I don't really have a party anymore. I'm a centrist. I lean right fiscally, but lean left socially and on the environment. The CPC has a faction in their coalition I can no longer support, but I can't bring myself to vote Liberal or NDP either. I'll probably end up spoiling my ballot.
I feel so very much the same way as you Bono. I would also describe myself as centrist, maybe slightly right of centre. The CPC is moving more toward right wing populism in a bid to shore up their right flank, and I am not a fan of populism at all. The Liberals and NDP have shown themselves to be totally irresponsible with the purse strings, and the Greens are a hot mess.

I might find myself very much at home with some European Christian Democratic parties, which espouse generally centrist economic policies as well as more traditional values, but in a way which is compassionate and not hateful. Unfortunately, we don't have one of those here. Over the weekend, I was just telling a friend I was considering spoiling my ballot. The trends in the past decade have been very disappointing.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

It really is unfortunate the CPC has to pander to the far right factions in its coalition so as not to lose support to the PPC. I really wish they would come back closer to the middle. They are losing moderates and will continue to do so until that happens.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Interesting fact: If only men could vote, the Conservatives would win in a massive landslide not seen in decades. If on the other hand, only women could vote, the Liberals would win in an even bigger landslide.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Trudeau seems finished it seems
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

John wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:58 am Trudeau seems finished it seems
Sure hope so, but I doubt it , he's got more lives than a cat.

First he said the budget will balance itself , now he says he doesn't even think about monetary policies. Thanks to the covid lockdowns,cerb,etc., most people probably think along the same lines, that we're too deep in debt and there's no way out , therefore just keep the money printing presses going.

Wouldn't that be another waste of money if Trudeau got another minority government.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:18 pm Wouldn't that be another waste of money if Trudeau got another minority government.
I think we're in for another minority government.

Most of the LPC support bleeding over the past week has been to the CPC, but that means squat if they can hold the vote rich areas in Ontario and Quebec (and prevent a massive BQ surge in Quebec), coupled with PPC siphoning some votes from the CPC. NDP seems to have recovered to their traditional 16-20% polling range as well so they could take a few ridings back from the LPC and CPC.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:58 am Trudeau seems finished it seems
Never count out a Trudeau John.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Typeing3 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:45 pm I think we're in for another minority government.

Most of the LPC support bleeding over the past week has been to the CPC, but that means squat if they can hold the vote rich areas in Ontario and Quebec (and prevent a massive BQ surge in Quebec), coupled with PPC siphoning some votes from the CPC. NDP seems to have recovered to their traditional 16-20% polling range as well so they could take a few ridings back from the LPC and CPC.
l agree Trex another minority and a waste of 5 weeks.
CYCW station
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:18 pm Sure hope so, but I doubt it , he's got more lives than a cat.

First he said the budget will balance itself , now he says he doesn't even think about monetary policies.
That is pretty cute of him to say that, since his government is the main beneficiary of monetary policy. To be fair, it shouldn't be a political issue though. The Bank of Canada's mandate is to set interest rates to target 2% inflation, but they are supposed to be acting independent from the government. That's how it works in theory, but we all know it's a farce. They are basically financing the Liberal government's deficits right now with their bond buying and money printing. That's why they're keeping interest rates near zero despite inflation hitting 3.7% in July. They won't raise interest rates now because how would the government ever pay that money back? That's bad news for regular people who are being robbed blind by inflation and getting zero interest on their savings accounts. It's great news for the wealthy and speculators who can load up with cheap debt and continue blowing bubbles in stocks, crypto and real estate.

The fact that COVID is being used to justify this insanity downright infuriates me. A part of me wishes the entire financial system would just blow up. You could knock 50% off house prices and they'd still be ridiculously overpriced, but at least they'd be in reach of regular people.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

At least one conservative will vote for the Liberals... Interesting reasoning... https://hgrubel.blogspot.com/2021/08/wh ... s.html?m=1
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:45 pm I think we're in for another minority government.

Yep this is looking like a waste of time.

I actually believe this party system is a waste of time. Alliances should only be formed after an election.

Constituents should be encouraged vote on candidates, not parties with their blanket policies. MPs could vote on a PM and just keep changing every year or two. A leader shouldn't be in power this long, they get too comfortable. But we all know people are looking for that strong leader, or handsome leader, or whatever is their priority. A democracy shouldn't be this hyper focused on the personality and looks of one person, but building a strong and qualified government.

I always vote but it gets harder every time with the lack of choice. It's always the most well funded two parties and the election is basically over by the time we vote here.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

After weeks premier Jason Kenney and chief medical officer Deena Henshaw of Alberta finally show up and start dropping some restrictions. :roll:
it's like no one was minding the store over there what a joke.
CYCW station
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Poll say we have a tight race between the liberals and conservatives hard to believe there are still supporters of Trudeau left but we shall see in a week!
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

John wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am Poll say we have a tight race between the liberals and conservatives hard to believe there are still supporters of Trudeau left but we shall see in a week!
Polls show that the Liberals shot up 2 points and the Conservatives down 2 point because of the debate... according to pundits.

My theory is that it's impossible for pundits to be wrong. No matter what happens, they will find a way to prove themselves right by inventing a new theory to explain the results that will always neatly fit their original analysis.

I caught the end of the federal leader's debate, and afterwards the pundits were unanimous in proclaiming Conservative leader Erin O'Toole the winner.
And suddenly, the very next day the Conservatives dropped down 2 points and Liberals up 2, basically switching places in the polls.

And how did the pundits explain this one? Well, I was listening to CBC radio this morning and they explained it this way:
The NDP supporters thought O'Toole won the debate, so some decided they better switch to the Liberals to stop the Conservatives from winning. Meanwhile, a lot of Conservatives thought O'Toole was too centrist, so decided to switch to the PPC, hence O'Toole was punished for winning the debate.

I'm not saying their analysis is wrong, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Looks like Liberals are about 33% and Conservatives 31%, although margin of error means they're tied. Liberals have more efficient distribution, so they will win unless the Conservatives can win by 3 or 4 points.