Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Re: Politics

Post by Abby_wx »

I didn't expect the Liberals to be gaining support after that dismal performance by Trudeau at the debate. But my mistake was probably in thinking the average person cares about the debates. For most people, their vote is either predetermined or based on soundbites of the party platforms. Others wait until the last minute before deciding. It could be coincidental, but the PPC appears to be skimming some support from the Conservatives over the last few days.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Abby_wx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:34 pm I didn't expect the Liberals to be gaining support after that dismal performance by Trudeau at the debate. But my mistake was probably in thinking the average person cares about the debates. For most people, their vote is either predetermined or based on soundbites of the party platforms. Others wait until the last minute before deciding. It could be coincidental, but the PPC appears to be skimming some support from the Conservatives over the last few days.
To be fair, debating skills don't necessarily determine how good or bad someone will be. Especially now with no expectation that they will actually answer the question as stated. I would never vote JT but I don't see O'Toole being much better. I think jagmeet has some qualities as a person I like but I don't know how he would be as a PM. But at the end of the day you should vote for your MP not the PM.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

I agree. I don't particularly care about debating skills, but I thought Trudeau showed bad form by constantly interrupting and exceeding his allotted time when answering questions.

As for MP it doesn't really matter who I vote for because my riding always goes Conservative. (Our electoral system sucks, but that's a whole other discussion.)
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

For anyone who's interested, we should each predict the outcome of the election. In terms of popular vote % for each party and seat count.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Typeing3 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm For anyone who's interested, we should each predict the outcome of the election. In terms of popular vote % for each party and seat count.
51% Cons 49% Libs waste of 610 million.
Conservative minority. :roll:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Typeing3 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm For anyone who's interested, we should each predict the outcome of the election. In terms of popular vote % for each party and seat count.
32.5% for Conservatives 130 seats

31.8% for the Liberals 141 seats

18.6% for the NDP 35 seats

6.5% for the PPC with 1 seat

6.4% for the Bloc with 30 seats

4.0% for the Greens with 1 seat
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 pm 32.5% for Conservatives 130 seats

That's some precision predictions Glace, not sure the Conserves will pick up that many seats. :dunno:
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Glacier wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 pm 32.5% for Conservatives 130 seats

That's too bad , I was looking forward to Jagmeet Singh getting us out of debt by taxing the super rich.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 pm That's too bad , I was looking forward to Jagmeet Singh getting us out of debt by taxing the super rich.
:lol:
CYCW station
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Forrest Gump wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 pm That's too bad , I was looking forward to Jagmeet Singh getting us out of debt by taxing the super rich.
The fact that he is likely the most personable leader out of the bunch says a lot about how bad all the options are. :lol:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

I really like the Green leader. It's too bad the anti-semites tried to destroy her including the one elected PM who joined the Liberals where anti-semitic views are more welcome
Last edited by Glacier on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

:lol: 8-) :clap: :) :D :wave: :relaxedos:
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Glacier wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:48 am I really like the Green leader. It's too bad the anti-semites tried to destroy her including the one elected PM who joined the Liberals were anti-semitic views are more welcome
:lol:

That term completely loses its meaning if it's continually used for any hint of criticism of a certain country. I find it wholly ironic that it is common to see those who are the biggest thumpers of that term, generally often seem to be among those who rarely accept the existence of racism. Anyways, I digress...
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Typeing3 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:19 am :lol:

That term completely loses its meaning if it's continually used for any hint of criticism of a certain country. I find it wholly ironic that it is common to see those who are the biggest thumpers of that term, generally often seem to be among those who rarely accept the existence of racism. Anyways, I digress...
I don't think this black woman is racist, but I get what you're saying in that criticism of Israel is not antisemitism.

The BDS Movement is not about criticizing Israel, but denying that they should even exist at all. They don't want a two state solution, they want a one state solution where there are no Jews. Their boycotting of Israel will not stop until Israel ceases to exist and the Jews are thrown into the sea.

Anti-semitism is a problem in all parties, left and right. We saw a couple of examples this week, both in the US and Canada. It's just politics to drop them because the guy probably doesn't stand by those comments today, so he was thrown under the bus to help the party look more tolerant toward Jews. Kinda dumb if you ask me. They should have asked him what his current thoughts are at least. After all, he was just 16 at the time.

I have a Jewish friend who use to attend a synagogue growing up in Vancouver until it was fire bombed. This is not an isolated event since hate crimes against Jews is extremely common and often violent. All Anime Paul did was tell her party that she stands for Israel's right to exist, and some members of her party wanted her to supporting the BDS Movement, anti-Jewish agenda and all. She refused so they left.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:24 pm I don't think this black woman is racist, but I get what you're saying in that criticism of Israel is not antisemitism.

The BDS Movement is not about criticizing Israel, but denying that they should even exist at all. They don't want a two state solution, they want a one state solution where there are no Jews. Their boycotting of Israel will not stop until Israel ceases to exist and the Jews are thrown into the sea.

Anti-semitism is a problem in all parties, left and right. We saw a couple of examples this week, both in the US and Canada. It's just politics to drop them because the guy probably doesn't stand by those comments today, so he was thrown under the bus to help the party look more tolerant toward Jews. Kinda dumb if you ask me. They should have asked him what his current thoughts are at least. After all, he was just 16 at the time.

I have a Jewish friend who use to attend a synagogue growing up in Vancouver until it was fire bombed. This is not an isolated event since hate crimes against Jews is extremely common and often violent. All Anime Paul did was tell her party that she stands for Israel's right to exist, and some members of her party wanted her to supporting the BDS Movement, anti-Jewish agenda and all. She refused so they left.
The vast majority of people on the left want Israel and Palestine living in a peaceful two state solution including people who oppose their policies of settling further and further into the tiny strip left of Palestine. There will always be extremists and those people are easily weeded out like these NDP candidates.

That is some seriously one sided rhetoric in an issue that is clearly far more complicated than that.

What evidence do you have to say that the BDS movement opposes Israel's right to exist? How do you think this kind of slanted view helps create healthy conversations about the situation? I oppose Israel's new settlements but I wouldn't sit here and say they want to exterminate the Palestinians.
Last edited by PortKells on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.