Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Catnip
Elevation: 530ft

Politics

Post by Catnip »

Please keep all political talk in this thread.

:thumbup:
*Maps are posted for discussion/entertainment purposes only, and not because I necessarily believe them to be true.

:catnip: :alert:

#teamsnow #surprises #beginningofFEB #FEB

2022-2023 Snowfall - 114.5cm

Wx Stn: https://tinyurl.com/yxervg27
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Re: February 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by John »

And any true democracy Trudeau would have to re-sign in my opinion
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Re: February 2019 Forecasts and Discussions

Post by John »

John wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:18 am And any true democracy Trudeau would have to re-sign in my opinion
I guess no one really agrees with me? Or are we all so shocked that we are speechless
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Politics

Post by Hound »

I think most people have an opinion but they rather keep it to themselves because it causes divides, and none of us want to do that. However this is the thread to let it rip if you want.
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

I wonder if any reticence on this issue has to do with comparisons to down south :dunno:

Compared to the Cohen testimony we look like toddlers on a playground in terms of corruption (which is a good thing!!)

The other issue, at least for me, what the heck is the viable alternative?
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Green!!
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

I've been watching this whole thing gleefully since it broke, purely because of the drama involved. I remember first seeing the scoop on the Globe and thinking to myself, if the higher echelons of government are implicated, this could rival Adscam. I cannot recall, ever, a member of the government (or one so recently removed) open-fire this dramatically at their own. There is literally no political advantage for JWR to do so, and I think it has so surprised the PMO that they've been stunned into an incoherent response of stonewalling--and badly, at that. If there is a way out for Trudeau and his team, I'm not seeing it. Then again, we've said the same about Trump, and we all know how loyal political bases can be...
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

VanCitySouth wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:20 pm I've been watching this whole thing gleefully since it broke, purely because of the drama involved. I remember first seeing the scoop on the Globe and thinking to myself, if the higher echelons of government are implicated, this could rival Adscam. I cannot recall, ever, a member of the government (or one so recently removed) open-fire this dramatically at their own. There is literally no political advantage for JWR to do so, and I think it has so surprised the PMO that they've been stunned into an incoherent response of stonewalling--and badly, at that. If there is a way out for Trudeau and his team, I'm not seeing it. Then again, we've said the same about Trump, and we all know how loyal political bases can be...
Another one bites the dust #trudeau
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Looks like Wilkinson and the BC Liberals are in another spot of bother after his recent comments regarding renters. :lol:

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... redibility
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Well for me personally, I don't think there is a party that won't let down the citizens eventually. Even if we switched to NDP or Green instead of Conservatives and Liberals, they will fall into scandals eventually. I think we're heading for an early federal election.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Typeing3 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm Looks like Wilkinson and the BC Liberals are in another spot of bother after his recent comments regarding renters. :lol:

https://vancouversun.com/news/politics/ ... redibility
It seems like Wilkinson is a very ineffective leader, the exact opposite of what the Liberals need right now. Regardless of how much substance there is to any scandals that may have happened, the party continues to be dogged by a massive image problem. Wilkinson's out of touch comments only reinforce the idea of "business as usual", and do nothing to regain the trust of voters. The party desperately needs some fresh blood and a new vision that resonates with voters, otherwise they're basically handing the NDP/Greens another term.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

stuffradio wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm Well for me personally, I don't think there is a party that won't let down the citizens eventually. Even if we switched to NDP or Green instead of Conservatives and Liberals, they will fall into scandals eventually. I think we're heading for an early federal election.
I don't know if it's just me, but all of the federal party leaders seem exceptionally weak this election year. I usually have some idea of how I will vote, but this time I have absolutely no idea.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Abby_wx wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:15 am It seems like Wilkinson is a very ineffective leader, the exact opposite of what the Liberals need right now. Regardless of how much substance there is to any scandals that may have happened, the party continues to be dogged by a massive image problem. Wilkinson's out of touch comments only reinforce the idea of "business as usual", and do nothing to regain the trust of voters. The party desperately needs some fresh blood and a new vision that resonates with voters, otherwise they're basically handing the NDP/Greens another term.
I wondered what they were thinking when they chose Wilkinson (effectively a nobody provincially speaking and representing one of the richest postal codes ) over Watts (generally positive name recognition, middle to upper class postal code and electable) now I wonder if they were thinking at all.

I agree they need new blood to mix in with the old but there really aren't any back benchers that stand out to me and the younger types seem to be flocking to the Greens
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

stuffradio wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm Well for me personally, I don't think there is a party that won't let down the citizens eventually. Even if we switched to NDP or Green instead of Conservatives and Liberals, they will fall into scandals eventually. I think we're heading for an early federal election.
Don't elections both federally and provincially have set dates now? If that's the case calling an early election is probably not allowed.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Forrest Gump wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 am Don't elections both federally and provincially have set dates now? If that's the case calling an early election is probably not allowed.
Set dates unless non-confidence is declared. Westminster parliamentary tradition still dictates that confidence in the government is paramount to its survival. Of course, it would take a lot for MPs to defeat their own governing party in a vote of confidence. Much more common in UK.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)