Sports Talk

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Sports Talk

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am Canucks vs flames will be most intriguing wit the ex canuck players. Canucks will be weaker, I don't expect them to surprise and contend like last summer,not until they rid themselves of the boat anchor contracts ,which is probably another 1-2 yr wait. My interest level will increase if some rookies make the team like Hoglander,Lind, Rathbone,oh ya and Juolevi, keep forgetting about him,and Podkolzin eventually,not sure when the khl season is done compared to the NHL.
I'm not looking forward to playing the new and improved flames. I really think Benning screwed us. Tanev and stetcher should've been lifers. Hopefully Schmidt can carry a big weight and virtanen can overcome his bad habits.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Glacier wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:49 pm Sounds like Jonathan Toews is out indefinitely because of Lyme disease.
Can't find confirmation,is that an educated guess on your part?
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:38 pm I'm not looking forward to playing the new and improved flames. I really think Benning screwed us. Tanev and stetcher should've been lifers. Hopefully Schmidt can carry a big weight and virtanen can overcome his bad habits.
I'm sure every GM has had at least 1 or 2 bad contracts in the last 10 -15 years but yeah this sucks at this juncture being capped out and stuck with the contracts of Ericsson, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel. I knew they would most likely lose Tanev and Markstrom because of their age,but letting Stetcher go without an equivalent replacement was a head scratcher, unless they have full confidence in one of Juolevi, Rathbone,or Rafferty to make the jump. After watching Podkolzin for a bit in the world juniors I wasn't that impressed , hopefully he picks it up.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 pm I'm sure every GM has had at least 1 or 2 bad contracts in the last 10 -15 years but yeah this sucks at this juncture being capped out and stuck with the contracts of Ericsson, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel. I knew they would most likely lose Tanev and Markstrom because of their age,but letting Stetcher go without an equivalent replacement was a head scratcher, unless they have full confidence in one of Juolevi, Rathbone,or Rafferty to make the jump. After watching Podkolzin for a bit in the world juniors I wasn't that impressed , hopefully he picks it up.
Pod's picked it up today Gumps Russia's best player. 2 goals and an assist in a 7-1 drubbing of Austria. :thumbup: :clap:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 pm I'm sure every GM has had at least 1 or 2 bad contracts in the last 10 -15 years but yeah this sucks at this juncture being capped out and stuck with the contracts of Ericsson, Beagle, Sutter, Roussel. I knew they would most likely lose Tanev and Markstrom because of their age,but letting Stetcher go without an equivalent replacement was a head scratcher, unless they have full confidence in one of Juolevi, Rathbone,or Rafferty to make the jump. After watching Podkolzin for a bit in the world juniors I wasn't that impressed , hopefully he picks it up.
Every GM has made mistakes. But I think his problem is that ownership didn't want to live through a rebuild so he had to make moves that showed that. Luckily we sucked so much anyways that we accumulated some top picks that really panned out, of course some didn't but still could.

The other crappy thing is we lost Judd Brackett who along with Tomas Gradin were the driving force behind some of our scouting gems. I'm thinking of Gaudette, Rathbone, Madden, Hoglander. I hope the next guy has the same eye for talent. I wish we still had Tyler Madden too but I think that playoff run was probably worth it for our young stars, especially Petterson.

That's my Canucks ramble.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:58 pm Every GM has made mistakes. But I think his problem is that ownership didn't want to live through a rebuild so he had to make moves that showed that. Luckily we sucked so much anyways that we accumulated some top picks that really panned out, of course some didn't but still could.

The other crappy thing is we lost Judd Brackett who along with Tomas Gradin were the driving force behind some of our scouting gems. I'm thinking of Gaudette, Rathbone, Madden, Hoglander. I hope the next guy has the same eye for talent. I wish we still had Tyler Madden too but I think that playoff run was probably worth it for our young stars, especially Petterson.

That's my Canucks ramble.
And lotteries have not been kind to the canucks, but despite that they still managed to pull some nice rabbits out of the hat. I'm not a fan of the draft lottery system , all those 1st overall draft picks that the oilers kept getting almost every year drove me nuts and teams that finish 6-16 shouldn't even be there. Teams should just pick where they finish , the days of deliberate tanking are long gone, except for maybe the Mcdavid year where buffalo made some questionable moves.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

It's a slow period weather wise and can't remember whether I posted my canucks related parodies from a couple years ago,anyways here they are. I wrote this one before I found out that a buyout for Ericsson was not feasible.

Money for Nothing , Pucks for Free

Now look at that Loui,that's the way you do it
You play some hockey in the NHL
That ain't workin that's the way you do it
Money for nothin and your pucks for free

Now that ain't playin that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya that guy ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a sliver on your bum

We gotta get some suvs and sports cars
How about a Lamborghini !
We gotta move these Lincoln navigators
We gotta move these 4K tv's

See the six million dollar man skating in slow motion
Ya buddy he just missed an open net
That little weasel got his own jet airplane
That little weasel he's a millionaire

We gotta get some suvs and sports cars
How about a Lamborghini!
We gotta move these Lincoln navigators
We gotta move these 4K tv's

I shoulda learned to shoot the puck
I shoulda learned to score some goals
Look at Loui Erickson with his humungous big contract
That's the way you do it after one good year

And he's up Where? In the press box? Eating popcorn?
Hoping for a buyout for 20 million bucks
Oh,that ain't playin that's the way you do it
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

Every Stride You Take - to the tune of Every Breath You Take, dedicated to Elias Pettersson during his first year when I kept telling people that he was must see tv.

Every stride you take
Every move you make
Every ankle you break
Every shot you take
I'll be watching you

Every single prey
Every goalie you slay
Every game you play
Every team you fillet
I'll be watching you

Oh can't you see
You belong to us
We are all canucks
With every stride you take

Every move you make
Every ankle you break
Every player you fake
Every rink you stake
I'll be watching you

Since you arrived I been in awe of your skill and grace
I dream at night of another Stanley cup chase
I look around but it's you with another ace
I feel so good and I long for a cup embrace
I keep saying petey,petey, please

Oh can't you see
You belong to us
We are all canucks
With every stride you take

Every move you make
Every ankle you break
Every player you fake
Every rink you stake
I'll be watching you
Every move you make
Every shot you take
I'll be watching you
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:17 pm Pod's picked it up today Gumps Russia's best player. 2 goals and an assist in a 7-1 drubbing of Austria. :thumbup: :clap:
And the canucks 7th rounder Costmar who's playing for Sweden could be a feisty diamond in the rough.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Forrest Gump wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:53 pm Can't find confirmation,is that an educated guess on your part?
Just an educated guess. It could also be AIDS or something else, but it sure fits the Lyme disease symptoms.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

Glacier wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:36 pm Just an educated guess. It could also be AIDS or something else, but it sure fits the Lyme disease symptoms.
I think justin bieber and Shania twain had or have it. It could linger for a few years.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

I heard Knuckles signed Travis Harmonic to a PTO maybe they can play in harmony this season. :wtf: what a disaster he turned out to be in Lames land.
CYCW station
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Fun Fact: The only NHL teams that have gone to the finals multiple times and have yet to win the cup both came into the NHL at the same time. Vancouver has done it 3 times, and Buffalo has done it 2 times.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Glacier wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:26 am Fun Fact: The only NHL teams that have gone to the finals multiple times and have yet to win the cup both came into the NHL at the same time. Vancouver has done it 3 times, and Buffalo has done it 2 times.
St Louis went to the final 3 times before they finally won it. Maybe it will be 4th time lucky for the canucks too?
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Typeing3 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:11 pm St Louis went to the final 3 times before they finally won it. Maybe it will be 4th time lucky for the canucks too?
Winning the cup with no fans is pure disappointment. Having said that the Knuckles would probably win it in a Covid year.
CYCW station