Slack Channel

Look here for all the help, news or information regarding the forum and website.
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Slack Channel

Post by stuffradio »

Hi,
It's me again! I have created a slack workspace. This is not meant to replace the forum, but it's a way to instantly communicate with each other if you want. The Slack work space is https://bcstorms.slack.com/ and you can join by going here:
https://join.slack.com/t/bcstorms/share ... TBmYzA5N2U

What is slack? As I said, it's an instant chat app. You can download it on your phone or computer, or you can go on it on a website. I'm planning on continuing to release more improvements. I will be creating threads for public visibility to see my status on each feature, and I will be inviting participation. For example, I will be developing features to allow for weather warnings to pop up on the forum when Environment Canada issues them. In fact, I may even be starting to work on that feature tonight, and I will want people who want to help test that when I get to a point it can be tested. I'm on slack right now. I will maybe always be on slack. I won't always reply, especially during the day while I'm working. Continuous feedback is always welcome, and thank you to those who have donated towards continuing to allow improvements and new features to be created!
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator
Elevation: 162 M./532 ft.

Re: Slack Channel

Post by Roberts Creeker »

stuffradio wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm Hi,
It's me again! I have created a slack workspace. This is not meant to replace the forum, but it's a way to instantly communicate with each other if you want. The Slack work space is https://bcstorms.slack.com/ and you can join by going here:
https://join.slack.com/t/bcstorms/share ... TBmYzA5N2U

What is slack? As I said, it's an instant chat app. You can download it on your phone or computer, or you can go on it on a website. I'm planning on continuing to release more improvements. I will be creating threads for public visibility to see my status on each feature, and I will be inviting participation. For example, I will be developing features to allow for weather warnings to pop up on the forum when Environment Canada issues them. In fact, I may even be starting to work on that feature tonight, and I will want people who want to help test that when I get to a point it can be tested. I'm on slack right now. I will maybe always be on slack. I won't always reply, especially during the day while I'm working. Continuous feedback is always welcome, and thank you to those who have donated towards continuing to allow improvements and new features to be created!
I like the weather warning pop up idea, will it say for where? I notice that I don't always get one here (like today) when other areas do.

I have a slack account but never really got the hang or using it and there wasn't much going on in the channel (?) that I am subscribed to but it's a good idea for people who want instant info.
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Roberts Creeker wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 pm I like the weather warning pop up idea, will it say for where? I notice that I don't always get one here (like today) when other areas do.

I have a slack account but never really got the hang or using it and there wasn't much going on in the channel (?) that I am subscribed to but it's a good idea for people who want instant info.
Slack isn't for everyone, I realize that. :) I haven't worked out the details about the weather warning yet.
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

stuffradio wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 pm Slack isn't for everyone, I realize that. :) I haven't worked out the details about the weather warning yet.
I love all the extra things you and Hound are adding, it's making it much more useful and educational than it was before. Will be fun to see how many more people come to Weather Central. :clap: :clap:
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

I joined Slack... so I'm a slacker now! :throw:
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Thanks, but not for me. Nothing against slack, I just don't use chat programs. :)
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

Abby_wx wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 am Thanks, but not for me. Nothing against slack, I just don't use chat programs. :)
Fair enough.
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

So, I don't know if the site was down for a few hours earlier today, but for me it was at least, and I kinda want to bring this up again, but maybe like a Discord or something where we can still hop in if a server maintenance happens or something like that. Whaddaya think?
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

VanCitySouth wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:01 pm So, I don't know if the site was down for a few hours earlier today, but for me it was at least, and I kinda want to bring this up again, but maybe like a Discord or something where we can still hop in if a server maintenance happens or something like that. Whaddaya think?
I'll piggy back on this for a moment. While the site wasn't down for me, I have noticed it has moments when it is really slow. As in it takes literally minutes to load a page, while all other sites are working. Not sure if it is an issue on my end or site wide.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Roberts Creeker
Donator
Donator

VanCitySouth wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:01 pm So, I don't know if the site was down for a few hours earlier today, but for me it was at least, and I kinda want to bring this up again, but maybe like a Discord or something where we can still hop in if a server maintenance happens or something like that. Whaddaya think?
I think it would be great to have a back up, just incase. I forgot about Slack but I don't know that many on here use it. I have an account but don't use it...
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Bonovox wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:10 pm I'll piggy back on this for a moment. While the site wasn't down for me, I have noticed it has moments when it is really slow. As in it takes literally minutes to load a page, while all other sites are working. Not sure if it is an issue on my end or site wide.
Strange. It's on a shared server for hosting so if the site goes down, the host would take care of that.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

https://twitter.com/bcstorms

Is a good one to monitor. Only stuffy has access to this though.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

I wonder if the bots that are always crawling the site are slowing it down. Take a look at what they are doing...
2021-07-08_191008b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Post by Bonovox »

That’s a lot of bots. :shock:
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Ya, and there was 2 pages of them. I think there is a way to disable some. I will look into it.