Weather Instrument Discussions

Discuss all aspects of personal weather stations and share your own!
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Re: Weather Instrument Discussions

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Radar wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 pm Already setup and changed my signature to have the station link. Hope it works. So far the wind sensor seems good.
Nice mini minion. :thumbup: should your station get blown away head west to Langley. :D :o :wtf:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

I recently spent about $515 upgrading and refurbishing my Davis Vantage Pro2 with a bunch of new parts. A bit pricey due to the exchange rate and shipping. I was either that or try a different brand, but I have a lot invested in the Davis ecosystem, so although I might have save a bit of money it didn't really make sense to switch. A lot of stations don't have solar or UV, so that was one reason to stay with what I have.

List of new parts:

-"aerocone" with bird spikes
-new mounting base
-new "tipping spoon rain gauge" (very accurate so far)
-upgraded temperate sensor (SHT-31 I think - also very accurate)
-new radiation shield and solar panel for daytime fan
-new plastic sensor housings as the old ones had deteriorate and become stained
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Abby_wx wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am I recently spent about $515 upgrading and refurbishing my Davis Vantage Pro2 with a bunch of new parts. A bit pricey due to the exchange rate and shipping. I was either that or try a different brand, but I have a lot invested in the Davis ecosystem, so although I might have save a bit of money it didn't really make sense to switch. A lot of stations don't have solar or UV, so that was one reason to stay with what I have.

List of new parts:

-new mounting base
Your passion for weather Abby sr. comes at a cost but in the end it brings us pleasure in our hobby. I paid almost $500.00 Canadian just for a mini Stevenson screen to house my temperature sensors since a shaded north location was off the table. l bought it from a manufacturer in Britain some family members thought l was off my rocker however after 4 years l'm still happy with my purchase. :D :wtf:
When will your refurbished station be back on line? from Mission hilltop afew forum members miss your readings including myself. :thumbup:
CYCW station
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Abby_wx wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am I recently spent about $515 upgrading and refurbishing my Davis Vantage Pro2 with a bunch of new parts. A bit pricey due to the exchange rate and shipping. I was either that or try a different brand, but I have a lot invested in the Davis ecosystem, so although I might have save a bit of money it didn't really make sense to switch. A lot of stations don't have solar or UV, so that was one reason to stay with what I have.

List of new parts:

-new mounting base
I am thinking of upgrading my cone, bucket and putting bird spikes on. A friend of mine has a new Davis station and his records more rain than mine. He might be in a slightly location but I think most of the differences instrument error.

We both have resistors in there for melting the snow, but for some reason his thermometer goes up a degree or two when is heater is on, but mine doesn't change.

My Station has been in operation since 2012. The maple trees are getting a little too big behind my house so it's hard to get full sun to record the solar.

I am thinking of moving my weather station to the Chilcotin because there are far fewer weather stations out there. I'd probably have to stick it at my in-laws Ranch instead of my mom's place though because my mom's place gets a lot of minus 40 something, and the ranch doesn't get that cold. As far as I know the Davis weather station doesn't work so well below minus 40.
Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:20 am Your passion for weather Abby sr. comes at a cost but in the end it brings us pleasure in our hobby. I paid almost $500.00 Canadian just for a mini Stevenson screen to house my temperature sensors since a shaded north location was off the table. l bought it from a manufacturer in Britain some family members thought l was off my rocker however after 4 years l'm still happy with my purchase. :D :wtf:
When will your refurbished station be back on line? from Mission hilltop afew forum members miss your readings including myself. :thumbup:
It's up now. www.missionweather.ca

There's a lot of work left to do though.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Glacier wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:13 am I am thinking of upgrading my cone, bucket and putting bird spikes on. A friend of mine has a new Davis station and his records more rain than mine. He might be in a slightly location but I think most of the differences instrument error.

We both have resistors in there for melting the snow, but for some reason his thermometer goes up a degree or two when is heater is on, but mine doesn't change.

My Station has been in operation since 2012. The maple trees are getting a little too big behind my house so it's hard to get full sun to record the solar.

I am thinking of moving my weather station to the Chilcotin because there are far fewer weather stations out there. I'd probably have to stick it at my in-laws Ranch instead of my mom's place though because my mom's place gets a lot of minus 40 something, and the ranch doesn't get that cold. As far as I know the Davis weather station doesn't work so well below minus 40.
Ah yes Glace upgrading the weather station before the must do projects around the homestead works for me. :thumbup: :wave:
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Abby_wx wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm It's up now. www.missionweather.ca

There's a lot of work left to do though.
That's awesome Abby Sr. have you noticed much difference yet between there and your old location? of course this season has not been good anywhere outside of that mid January dump of snow.
CYCW station
Abby_wx

Post by Abby_wx »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:06 pm That's awesome Abby Sr. have you noticed much difference yet between there and your old location? of course this season has not been good anywhere outside of that mid January dump of snow.
A bit more precipitation (maybe +15%) and temperature a bit more uniform for lack of a better word - perhaps because I have more wind up here.

It also tends to be a bit colder at night I've noticed. When I left my house for work during the arctic event, the temperature would increase by 1-2C by the time I got down to Matsqui prairie.

Fall/Winter 2023/24
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Abby_wx wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:56 pm A bit more precipitation (maybe +15%) and temperature a bit more uniform for lack of a better word - perhaps because I have more wind up here.

It also tends to be a bit colder at night I've noticed. When I left my house for work during the arctic event, the temperature would increase by 1-2C by the time I got down to Matsqui prairie.
Yes l use to notice that as well as soon as l hit the Abbs/Mission bridge.
The wind profile would increase the temperature on the Matsqui flats. You haven't had enough weather to compare to your old King rd. location give it afew years.
CYCW station