Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Re: Politics

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:55 pm Easy for us to say...but for them that just sets the table to get crushed again. Their only option now is to defeat Russia and join Nato to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Whether that happens without Russia destroying the human race is becoming increasingly unlikely IMO :crazy:
How long can the Russian public stay silent, Kells l mean this generation the millennials grew up in a more open Russia now they see the iron curtain rearing its ugly head again. :crazy: it appears l'm being reminded how history does repeat itself.
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:18 pm How long can the Russian public stay silent, Kells l mean this generation the millennials grew up in a more open Russia now they see the iron curtain rearing its ugly head again. :crazy: it appears l'm being reminded how history does repeat itself.
I've read they are brainwashed similar to fox news lovers down south. At least the older generation is. The younger generation are trying but they are out-gunned.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:58 pm I've read they are brainwashed similar to fox news lovers down south. At least the older generation is. The younger generation are trying but they are out-gunned.
But l like to think the younger generation is finding ways to find the truth Kells.
Unlike during the cold war and the iron curtain era there wasn't the information hiway like now there's ways around it l hope like VPN"s etc. The younger generation l don't think can brain washed too can they?
Join us next season
CYCW station
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 3 Ft

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:58 pm I've read they are brainwashed similar to fox news lovers down south. At least the older generation is. The younger generation are trying but they are out-gunned.
I agree but CNN isn’t any better anymore. Best to just get your Information online and fact check it yourself.
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Weather101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:34 am I agree but CNN isn’t any better anymore. Best to just get your Information online and fact check it yourself.
Yeah CNN is CWN Cable War Network stopped watching years ago same with Fox news, go to online outlets around the world for different opinions l find it interesting.
But also beware of countries aligned with Russia because of relations their reporting is factual reporting believe it or not like NDTV New Delhi although India abstained during the UN vote to condemn Russia, they want to keep relations with Russia and U.S. same with Israel and Turkey.
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join us next season
CYCW station
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

Finnish news (Hubs is a Finn, reading the local news) is reporting record numbers of Russians arriving by rail so some see the reality and are trying to leave.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

moonshadow0825 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:48 am Finnish news (Hubs is a Finn, reading the local news) is reporting record numbers of Russians arriving by rail so some see the reality and are trying to leave.
Yes l recall reading something about that as well Moons, l'm surprised Russia is letting them leave, l believe in the theory that truth does eventually win out heck apply that to our weather it hardly snows here :lol: or at least in Richmond. :shifty:
Join us next season
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Weather101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:34 am I agree but CNN isn’t any better anymore. Best to just get your Information online and fact check it yourself.
I'm not an MSM defender by any means but I can't put any of those on the level of Fox News. Its a straight up propaganda network that pukes out things like antifa taking over the capital on Jan 6th. Or enabling Trump's big lie about the stolen election. I remember being down there in around 2013 and they were talking about the "Obama shutdown" when it was blatantly obvious it was Republicans shutting down the government to get their way. Now they have talking heads like Tucker Carlson taking Russia's side in this genocide in Ukraine.

CNN, MSNBC are way too big and they are certainly slanted, but they still have some semblance of reporting. Its unfortunate how large they've been allowed to get. But that's capitalism, big fish eat the little ones.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:20 am I'm not an MSM defender by any means but I can't put any of those on the level of Fox News. Its a straight up propaganda network that pukes out things like antifa taking over the capital on Jan 6th. Or enabling Trump's big lie about the stolen election. I remember being down there in around 2013 and they were talking about the "Obama shutdown" when it was blatantly obvious it was Republicans shutting down the government to get their way. Now they have talking heads like Tucker Carlson taking Russia's side in this genocide in Ukraine.

CNN, MSNBC are way too big and they are certainly slanted, but they still have some semblance of reporting. Its unfortunate how large they've been allowed to get. But that's capitalism, big fish eat the little ones.
I mean I’ll be honest, I don’t watch Fox and never have so I’ll have to take your word for how bad they are. I’ve seen clips around social media and I’m like yikes lol As for CNN I use to watch it growing up but ever since 2015 they fell off. Ever since Trump got in power they stopped caring about the news. Chris cumo who at first I liked quickly I disliked. It was about power and control for him I mean he slandered Trump about how he didn’t take Covid seriously said Trump killed millions of people, Yet when Chris got Covid he literally left his house to go hang with people…How contradicting is that?

At the end of the day news isn’t news anymore it seems. Everyone has some sort agenda which is sad because news should just be reported unbiased.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:42 am Yeah CNN is CWN Cable War Network stopped watching years ago same with Fox news, go to online outlets around the world for different opinions l find it interesting.
But also beware of countries aligned with Russia because of relations their reporting is factual reporting believe it or not like NDTV New Delhi although India abstained during the UN vote to condemn Russia, they want to keep telations with Russia and U.S. same with Israel and Turkey.
It’s really wild that in 2022 people can’t report news without propaganda
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Weather101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:39 pm I mean I’ll be honest, I don’t watch Fox and never have so I’ll have to take your word for how bad they are. I’ve seen clips around social media and I’m like yikes lol As for CNN I use to watch it growing up but ever since 2015 they fell off. Ever since Trump got in power they stopped caring about the news. Chris cumo who at first I liked quickly I disliked. It was about power and control for him I mean he slandered Trump about how he didn’t take Covid seriously said Trump killed millions of people, Yet when Chris got Covid he literally left his house to go hang with people…How contradicting is that?

At the end of the day news isn’t news anymore it seems. Everyone has some sort agenda which is sad because news should just be reported unbiased.
You got me on Chris Cuomo. That guy and his Sh*tty brother need to disappear from public view forever.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:05 pm You got me on Chris Cuomo. That guy and his Sh*tty brother need to disappear from public view forever.
Couldn’t of said it any better myself
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Weather101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:55 pm Couldn’t of said it any better myself
Oh those two loosers, l always thought they were up to no good way back in 2020.
Join us next season
CYCW station
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

Weather101 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:40 pm It’s really wild that in 2022 people can’t report news without propaganda
Propaganda is everywhere.

In the strictest sense, propaganda is information disseminated with the intent to advocate. The information does not have to be false! (Factual propaganda, in fact, can be the most effective kind, since it will survive fact checks.) Since everyone has beliefs, everyone has the desire to advocate for them. So the desire to propagandize is pretty much universal.

What’s really bad about today’s media environment is how many people rely on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) for their news, and what that has done to transparency. Back in the 70’s and 80’s, I listened to a lot of shortwave radio. In the pre-Internet era, it was the easiest way to hear news from abroad. A lot of it was propaganda, of course, but one could make adjustments based on the source and triangulate between the various viewpoints. The thing is, if you were listening to Soviet propaganda, you knew you were listening to Soviet propaganda. Several times per hour there was the station ID: “you are tuned to the world service of Radio Moscow.” (That is aside from the distinctive hollow-sounding audio quality to all broadcasts from the USSR, which typically gave the station’s identity away in an instant.)

But on Facebook, you have no idea where that meme originated before it started circulating. None at all! Social networking is less transparent than the state media of the ex-USSR, and that is no hyperbole.

Coming from the States, I have to agree that while CNN isn’t perfect, it is nowhere near as bad as Fox. (And Fox is nowhere near as bad as OANN.) A lot of the reason why the media gave Trump a hard time is that Trump basically asked for it in how blatantly he lied and how much he picked fights with the media. “Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton.”

And Trump did an awful job on COVID, overall. If you compare the excess deaths in the USA over what they would have been if the USA had Canada’s COVID death rates, it ain’t pretty. If Trump had pivoted when the pandemic began, stopped fighting his culture wars, put aside his spat with the news media, and simply done what the experts said, he would have probably been re-elected.
It's called clown range for a reason.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Rubus_Leucodermis wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:59 pm Propaganda is everywhere.

In the strictest sense, propaganda is information disseminated with the intent to advocate. The information does not have to be false! (Factual propaganda, in fact, can be the most effective kind, since it will survive fact checks.) Since everyone has beliefs, everyone has the desire to advocate for them. So the desire to propagandize is pretty much universal.

What’s really bad about today’s media environment is how many people rely on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) for their news, and what that has done to transparency. Back in the 70’s and 80’s, I listened to a lot of shortwave radio. In the pre-Internet era, it was the easiest way to hear news from abroad. A lot of it was propaganda, of course, but one could make adjustments based on the source and triangulate between the various viewpoints. The thing is, if you were listening to Soviet propaganda, you knew you were listening to Soviet propaganda. Several times per hour there was the station ID: “you are tuned to the world service of Radio Moscow.” (That is aside from the distinctive hollow-sounding audio quality to all broadcasts from the USSR, which typically gave the station’s identity away in an instant.)

But on Facebook, you have no idea where that meme originated before it started circulating. None at all! Social networking is less transparent than the state media of the ex-USSR, and that is no hyperbole.

Coming from the States, I have to agree that while CNN isn’t perfect, it is nowhere near as bad as Fox. (And Fox is nowhere near as bad as OANN.) A lot of the reason why the media gave Trump a hard time is that Trump basically asked for it in how blatantly he lied and how much he picked fights with the media. “Never pick a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton.”

And Trump did an awful job on COVID, overall. If you compare the excess deaths in the USA over what they would have been if the USA had Canada’s COVID death rates, it ain’t pretty. If Trump had pivoted when the pandemic began, stopped fighting his culture wars, put aside his spat with the news media, and simply done what the experts said, he would have probably been re-elected.
There's an up and comer news network Rubes called News Max heard it's pretty good.
Join us next season
CYCW station