December 2021 Forecasts And Discussions

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Re: December 2021 Forecasts And Discussions

Post by John »

WeatherPro wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:43 pm :alert: Possible Massive Crippling Snow Storm Starting Friday Night :alert:

Good day all, how was your snowfall? I see my predictions were spot on this time. I was starting to lose faith in myself. :silent:

A good helping of 15CM to 20Cm fell across the entire south coast. They system delivered with an overly fat abundance of powdery light snow.

Now onto more important things.

Friday night, into Saturday and possibly beyond is looking like a massive snowstorm potential of epic proportions.

The scene:
Very cold air still trapped in all of SW BC. System dropping out of the North and sliding down over BC.
Models overdoing the warm-up, almost guaranteed at this point. (If this system was coming out of the south west,then it would be more clear).
Ground temps are frozen very well, river temps, and water body temps are at or below freezing. Excellent ice coverage on lakes and even the Fraser River. Another clear night tonight should lower temps pretty good and as cloud cover rolls in Friday hopefully, most likely the cold temps will be held in. Almost everything is on par for snow.

Now, the system is a bit warmer, so there may be some low level sea elevation that will see a transition at some point on Sunday. My feeling is this will NOT turn to rain at higher elevations, like Burnaby, Surrey, Fraser Valley. The usual suspects.

It will start as snow at sea level as well. Wet bulb will play a role.

The uncertain part of this is there is a high chance some areas will not transition to rain, and remain snow until Monday when the temps start to drop again and snow is even more likely. This will be riding the edge for sure. So many dynamics at play that are NOT normal in these situations.

My forecast, simplified. Friday Night and Saturday will see snow at all elevations. Heavy snow. Possible amounts 20CM lower elevations and to 40CM at higher elevations and inland going into Sunday. Now IF this turns out to be all snow, these amounts will verify easily over the 2.5 days. Then Monday comes with another storm that looks like it could run into Tuesday bringing another 20Cm or more!

It really is amazing the possibilities we are at right now. This could be the winter storm that puts that Victoria storm in second place if there is NO transition over the next few days. So keep that in mind. Again, "IF"

We all know there is a possibility of a bust, but at this point it could go wither way.

This coming week looks excellent for snow lovers. Some people could end up having a combined snow cover total of over 60CM! (Combined) <- Key word.

*This is a region wide event, in fact much of western BC will feel the impacts

EXCITING! :thumbup:

Hi weatherpro :thumbup:
Last edited by John on Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

YXX down to -7.2C at 4 pm. That station sure does some acrobatics. :shock:
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Abby_wx wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:23 pm YXX down to -7.2C at 4 pm. That station sure does some acrobatics. :shock:
-3.5 at YVR too. Light winds, deep snow, clear skies. -10 is on tap, book it.

Who says overconfidence is bad?
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Hawk
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 320/3024

Post by Hawk »

John wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:21 pm Hi weatherpro, some people on here think you are Tyler Hamilton is this true?
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Cmon John...
Many people have suggested this possibility. If WP is Tyler, maybe he prefers to keep himself just a mystery, like the rest of us. 50 Shades was here before..got smacked around and mocked a little. Ahhh weather predicts...so tuff.

Is anyone else revealing their true identity on here? None of you will likely ever meet me. I will always be Hawk to my buttees, nothing more. And WP may always just be WP to us. I like it that way actually :thumbup:
June has arrived..and so has Summer! Yesssss :clap: :clap:
Willoughby Langley at ~320ft / Similkameeeens ~3400ft
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Lafarge Lake looks to be frozen all over except by the fountain now.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Lisa_C_Ford/ ... 1466243079
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

John wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:21 pm Hi weatherpro, there is one person on here,some might even say he's wise beyond his years, who thinks you are Tyler Hamilton is this true?
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Lows so far this evening

YVR -4.5c
Pitt Meadows -5.0c
YXX -7.6c
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

wetcoast91 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm We are losing the outflow when the wind turns southerly with the passage of a weak front on Saturday evening. This is before the main precip arrives. GFS is the only model that keeps a weak outflow going hence the potential for brief freezing rain.

I may be wrong but I see Sunday being rather wet with heavy rain and temps between +4 to +7 with the exception being Hope. Ponding and local flooding may be an issue.

My outlook sucks. Just go with WeatherPro's!
Weatherpro was clear that these are possibilities. I will say it seems a tad optimistic but there is historical precedent for models to over do warmups leading to massive surprises. Doesn't this describe 1996 and 2008 pretty well? I wasn't a weather nerd then.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Hawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:30 pm :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Cmon John...
Many people have suggested this possibility. If WP is Tyler, maybe he prefers to keep himself just a mystery, like the rest of us. 50 Shades was here before..got smacked around and mocked a little. Ahhh weather predicts...so tuff.

Is anyone else revealing their true identity on here? None of you will likely ever meet me. I will always be Hawk to my buttees, nothing more. And WP may always just be WP to us. I like it that way actually :thumbup:
Touche!
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Hawk wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:30 pm :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Cmon John...

Ok I’ll delete
Radar
Weather Nut
Weather Nut
Elevation: 290ft

Post by Radar »

wetcoast91 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm We are losing the outflow when the wind turns southerly with the passage of a weak front on Saturday evening. This is before the main precip arrives. GFS is the only model that keeps a weak outflow going hence the potential for brief freezing rain.

I may be wrong but I see Sunday being rather wet with heavy rain and temps between +4 to +7 with the exception being Hope. Ponding and local flooding may be an issue.

My outlook sucks. Just go with WeatherPro's!
Thinking you are more inline with Env Canada. They also seem more accurate too. Not sure the wind change will be enough to scrub out some low lying cold air. Probably rain, cold rain. Melting may not be much though and the snowpack may shrink and densify.
West Abby. Elev. 290ft
PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IABBOT57/
23/24 snow total: 48 cm
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

The City of Vancouver SUCKS at snow clearing my goodness! It's been a whole day, and Pender @ Burrard is STILL CONVERTED WITH BROWN SLUSH. Pender @ Burrard is as major an intersection as you will get!

WHICH WILL FREEZE SOLID.

Tomorrow is going to be a gong show too and it really didn't need to be.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Radar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:58 pm Thinking you are more inline with Env Canada. They also seem more accurate too. Not sure the wind change will be enough to scrub out some low lying cold air. Probably rain, cold rain. Melting may not be much though and the snowpack may shrink and densify.
If I'm not mistaken WP works for environment Canada.
East Chilliwack
Weather Tracker
Weather Tracker

Post by East Chilliwack »

Forrest Gump wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:49 pm Yeah , kinda getting tired of people saying they prefer rain because "at least you don't have to shovel it".

Or " Man is it cold , this dampness is going right through me , +8 on the wet coast feels much colder than -8 on the prairie".
People are getting soft.
Eastern hillsides chilliwack.
Elevation 880 ft
smartlikefox
Cloud Watcher
Cloud Watcher

Post by smartlikefox »

WeatherPro wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:43 pm This coming week looks excellent for snow lovers. Some people could end up having a combined snow cover total of over 60CM! (Combined) <- Key word.

*This is a region wide event, in fact much of western BC will feel the impacts

EXCITING! :thumbup:
What if you happen to already have 60cm on the ground?