Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by Typeing3 »

PK, just to address your point on our healthcare system... it has unfortunately been gradually failing ever since the late 80s*** especially during winter time.

Overwhelmed hospitals, ICU overcapacity, not enough beds, hallway medicine, etc, etc. It is not a new phenomenon that magically coincided with covid.

***This is about the same era when we began to see a shrinking role of the state in economics and industry in favour of increased deregulation and privatization along with the gradual abandonment or less upkeep of state agencies.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Thanks for the reply. I actually think your perspective isn't so far apart from many of us here, and would like to also say I totally get where you're coming from. I also think many of us aren't in the reckless "I'm young and healthy so I'll be fine" camp. When I say we need to get on with it, there's still a comfort level (or lack thereof) that I have of many types of social gatherings (hockey games, to take an example). I'm sure I speak for many when I say that "getting on with it" doesn't mean, to us, doing everything how it used to be done.

To the point about ICU failure and letting the health care system collapse, I think the vaccination rate has put us beyond that danger now. Serious illness with the disease, to my knowledge, isn't spiking at the same pace as the omicron cases. I'm not saying the restrictions weren't effective. They clearly were, earlier on in the pandemic, but their effectiveness has run its course. Alberta's current issues aren't caused by a lack of restrictions NOW. They were caused by a lack of restrictions earlier on when they would have helped.

It's not unreasonable to say the way forward to protecting the most vulnerable is vaccines and testing and researching treatments, not more restrictions. The uncountable cost of carrying on as is, in terms of collective suffering in mental and even physical health, is surely set to surpass Covid-related ones. Unfortunately, it's a cost-benefit analysis which probably has tonnes of grey and no satisfactory answer for all. Again, I totally understand if you fall on the other side of the scales compared to me.

That bit about crony capitalism is an entirely different topic but one I think I will heartily agree with you on. I shan't go on about it for the sake of everyone else here :lol:
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:16 pm
That bit about crony capitalism is an entirely different topic but one I think I will heartily agree with you on. I shan't go on about it for the sake of everyone else here :lol:
I 100% agree with this part too... just so you guys know. :lol:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

AbbyJr wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:25 pm
:lol:
Congrats coach Toks winner of the Jack Adams trophy for coach of the year.
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Lol that's pretty good. I read it's like the cold. I think I might be getting it. If I'm totally honest bring it on. Then I can do my time and safety go see my mom for Christmas. Hell I'd see her anyways she's had three shots. But I just want it done and over with.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:16 pm Thanks for the reply. I actually think your perspective isn't so far apart from many of us here, and would like to also say I totally get where you're coming from. I also think many of us aren't in the reckless "I'm young and healthy so I'll be fine" camp. When I say we need to get on with it, there's still a comfort level (or lack thereof) that I have of many types of social gatherings (hockey games, to take an example). I'm sure I speak for many when I say that "getting on with it" doesn't mean, to us, doing everything how it used to be done.

To the point about ICU failure and letting the health care system collapse, I think the vaccination rate has put us beyond that danger now. Serious illness with the disease, to my knowledge, isn't spiking at the same pace as the omicron cases. I'm not saying the restrictions weren't effective. They clearly were, earlier on in the pandemic, but their effectiveness has run its course. Alberta's current issues aren't caused by a lack of restrictions NOW. They were caused by a lack of restrictions earlier on when they would have helped.

It's not unreasonable to say the way forward to protecting the most vulnerable is vaccines and testing and researching treatments, not more restrictions. The uncountable cost of carrying on as is, in terms of collective suffering in mental and even physical health, is surely set to surpass Covid-related ones. Unfortunately, it's a cost-benefit analysis which probably has tonnes of grey and no satisfactory answer for all. Again, I totally understand if you fall on the other side of the scales compared to me.

I will agree with you on here again. I should write my posts on computer because for whatever reason when I write on the phone I always end up throwing stuff in there that just doesn't really add anything.

Anyways I hope you're right and I hope and believe the Cron is nothing major like Delta. I just want to see the data to make sure of that. Where we may or may not differ is I believe Bonnie and those officials like her also want it to be nothing because the government's best shot at re election is always the economy.

I'm not defending the government to be sure. I think they are in the hands of big business and will always be. They are so underprepared here in BC for disasters and not as progressive as people think they are. I'll just give them credit for attempting to balance a highly polarized populace as well as all the special interest lobbying.
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

PortKells wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:57 pm Lol that's pretty good. I read it's like the cold. I think I might be getting it. If I'm totally honest bring it on. Then I can do my time and safety go see my mom for Christmas. Hell I'd see her anyways she's had three shots. But I just want it done and over with.
I hope your not getting sick. :thumbdown:
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

PortKells wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:57 pm Lol that's pretty good. I read it's like the cold. I think I might be getting it. If I'm totally honest bring it on. Then I can do my time and safety go see my mom for Christmas. Hell I'd see her anyways she's had three shots. But I just want it done and over with.
I will toast your good health sir
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

AbbyJr wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:41 pm I hope your not getting sick. :thumbdown:
Thanks jr! I'm going to get tested today. So far just a very sorry throat with fatigue and feeling off. Pretty bad timing with the holidays but hey I should be good to go by the time we get blasted with snow :alert:
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Insanity. We now have local media personalities openly insinuating they want police knocking on doors to find unvaccinated people.
https://mobile.twitter.com/richardzussm ... 3810143233

https://mobile.twitter.com/Death_Of_Nua ... 5511067652
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:45 pm I will toast your good health sir
l'll have your share of the grog Kells. :drunk:
get well my friend, there's many many many more snowy day's coming to Port Kells. :D
Congrats coach Toks winner of the Jack Adams trophy for coach of the year.
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:01 pm l'll have your share of the grog Kells. :drunk:
get well my friend, there's many many many more snowy day's coming to Port Kells. :D
Yeah I'm suffering without the grog haha. This world is far too Sh*tty to be completely sober right now.
Weather101
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 3 Ft

Post by Weather101 »

When are we gonna get to the point where these restrictions stop? Like everyone is vaccinated in these events yet we are still shutting stuff down.

Of the 80 nhl players who have it only a couple have had symptoms showing that being vaccinated works. The thing is are we always going to postpone games and stuff every new variant? Something needs to give soon because I didn’t get vaccinated just to not be able to do stuff. Don’t get me wrong, I’m safe I wear a mask I always sanitize my hands. But we need to reach a point where we can accept the fact we are vaccinated and go about our life.
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠