Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mo ... nated-poll

What a chilling headline highlighting the rifts in society. This has been brought to you by supposedly liberal governments using the pandemic to sow division for their own political gain. Scapegoating a sizeable segment of the population will not achieve the desired behavioural changes, it will only back them further into a corner and make them lash out even more. They have normalised and even encouraged hatred of fellow citizens, and now vaccinated people have joined the anti-vaxxers in behaving in an irresponsible and counterproductive manner.
I haven't seen a single human being support that kind of Sh*t. This is mainstream media sensationalism.
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

PortKells wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm I haven't seen a single human being support that kind of Sh*t. This is mainstream media sensationalism.
I think you and your friends are just more educated, being an educator yourself. This is a pretty respectable polling firm who did the survey...don't be surprised at the drivel that exists in Canada.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

VanCitySouth wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/mo ... nated-poll

What a chilling headline highlighting the rifts in society. This has been brought to you by supposedly liberal governments using the pandemic to sow division for their own political gain. Scapegoating a sizeable segment of the population will not achieve the desired behavioural changes, it will only back them further into a corner and make them lash out even more. They have normalised and even encouraged hatred of fellow citizens, and now vaccinated people have joined the anti-vaxxers in behaving in an irresponsible and counterproductive manner.
Given how many precedents have essentially been normalized, given way to more precedents and along the way received fairly widespread support (a couple years ago, most of which would be considered completely unfathomable in our country), I sadly would not be surprised if this poll is pretty close to the truth at this point. Says a lot about the state this country and many others currently are in.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:09 pm I think you and your friends are just more educated, being an educator yourself. This is a pretty respectable polling firm who did the survey...don't be surprised at the drivel that exists in Canada.
I'm not denying the idiocy that exists here and everywhere really. And while my friends may be educated, there are no shortages of extreme opinions that swing both ways. Heck I'm actually a doomer and I don't believe in jail time for the unvaxxed.

I have spent way too much time observing a lot of online discussions, now the best place I can find is reddit. I originally thought reddit was left leaning but then I found that different subreddits have different leanings or just a wide variety of viewpoints, like R/Canada or R/Vancouver for example. The other places I frequent are a hockey message board and here.

Every one of these places has a covid discussions that include tons of heavily pro vax folks. I have never once even jokingly see somebody suggest that unvaccinated people should face jail time. Its so beyond ridiculous. I have heard people suggest that maybe these folks shouldn't use healthcare for a virus they don't believe in, but I think that everybody knows that would be unconstitutional as a law.

I would like to see the poll myself. it may or may not be a respected pollster but The National Post is quite clearly a heavily right wing leaning news source. Polls are not known for their accuracy, especially online ones.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong and 27% of people do believe that. That just is not what I'm seeing out there and I do try to pay attention.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

These things are beyond ridiculous too but the polling did turn out to be pretty accurate, judging by the (lack) of pushback.

Prior restrictions/mandates being normalized (ex. forced closures, mask mandates, etc) lead to growing support for these things (ex. vaccine passports, vaccine mandates, etc) which upon normalization could realistically lead to greater support for more punitive measures like jail time.

https://mobile.twitter.com/globalnews/s ... 0180636672

https://mobile.twitter.com/canadianpoll ... 3882131458

https://mobile.twitter.com/voiceoffrank ... 8846669832

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadianPoll ... 8121536516
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

PortKells wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:37 pm I'm not denying the idiocy that exists here and everywhere really. And while my friends may be educated, there are no shortages of extreme opinions that swing both ways. Heck I'm actually a doomer and I don't believe in jail time for the unvaxxed.

I have spent way too much time observing a lot of online discussions, now the best place I can find is reddit. I originally thought reddit was left leaning but then I found that different subreddits have different leanings or just a wide variety of viewpoints, like R/Canada or R/Vancouver for example. The other places I frequent are a hockey message board and here.

Every one of these places has a covid discussions that include tons of heavily pro vax folks. I have never once even jokingly see somebody suggest that unvaccinated people should face jail time. Its so beyond ridiculous. I have heard people suggest that maybe these folks shouldn't use healthcare for a virus they don't believe in, but I think that everybody knows that would be unconstitutional as a law.

I would like to see the poll myself. it may or may not be a respected pollster but The National Post is quite clearly a heavily right wing leaning news source. Polls are not known for their accuracy, especially online ones.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong and 27% of people do believe that. That just is not what I'm seeing out there and I do try to pay attention.
Fair enough points all round.

I will defend polling as an industry, however. The polls are inaccurate narrative is also one MSM uses to hide why their pundits are wrong so often. Polls have inherent margins of error. Unfortunately sometimes 51-49 is polled, and 49-51 is the result. The poll's raw data was accurate to its reported margin of error, but the "wrong winner" dominates the headline. Alternatively, a Trump electoral college surprise bears out. Polls had Clinton winning by about 4% in the popular vote. She won by 3% of votes. Again, wrong winner but not a bad poll prediction. Polls are reported on unscientifically and poorly by MSM, who then turn around and blame the pollsters for "bad results" and reinforcing a false narrative. The reality is, polling gets popular opinion correct far more often than not. It's just never highlighted as a headline after an election where the polls did well.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Macron:
"When my freedom threatens that of others, I become irresponsible," he said. "An irresponsible person is no longer a citizen."
Chilling stuff. World leaders have resorted to referring to unvaccinated people as non-citizens undeserving of equal rights. Notice how there is absolutely no mention of how tenets of an increasingly authoritarian and segregated society are leagues more threatening to freedom and the concept of equality for all.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:22 pm Fair enough points all round.

I will defend polling as an industry, however. The polls are inaccurate narrative is also one MSM uses to hide why their pundits are wrong so often. Polls have inherent margins of error. Unfortunately sometimes 51-49 is polled, and 49-51 is the result. The poll's raw data was accurate to its reported margin of error, but the "wrong winner" dominates the headline. Alternatively, a Trump electoral college surprise bears out. Polls had Clinton winning by about 4% in the popular vote. She won by 3% of votes. Again, wrong winner but not a bad poll prediction. Polls are reported on unscientifically and poorly by MSM, who then turn around and blame the pollsters for "bad results" and reinforcing a false narrative. The reality is, polling gets popular opinion correct far more often than not. It's just never highlighted as a headline after an election where the polls did well.
Fair points. I can see how divisive it's gotten and it's only getting worse. My wife's friend is now posting on Instagram that vaccines and mandates are essentially nazism with a swastika made of syringes. It's the lack of ability to form balanced opinions that's the most depressing and its exacerbated by polls and stories like this. But maybe the bigger issue is how bad social media and online discourse has gotten.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Don't forget Kells the CDC changing the rules and not informing us ie: if your around someone with Covid you no longer have to isolate. :wtf: :roll:
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:52 am Don't forget Kells the CDC changing the rules and not informing us ie: if your around someone with Covid you no longer have to isolate. :wtf: :roll:
Yeah it's just too widespread right now. The government has somewhat given up. At least we're not in lockdown like out East.

Hope this wave is the last one because frankly there are more pressing issues facing humanity right now.
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
Antares
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 5m

Post by Antares »

^lol that's such old news though. Like 2020 vintage. :lol: :wave:
It always snows in December in the Kootenays :clap:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

I didn't like Dr. B's news conference today, it sounded more like everyone on their own is it a pandemic or a flu/cold strain. :roll:
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 pm I didn't like Dr. B's news conference today, it sounded more like everyone on their own is it a pandemic or a flu/cold strain. :roll:
Everyone is on their own. I guess the good thing is there are 5 paid sick days but that won't stop managers from pushing staff to work when they are sick. very disappointing.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:31 pm I didn't like Dr. B's news conference today, it sounded more like everyone on their own is it a pandemic or a flu/cold strain. :roll:
Um what? Youve been non stop with saying how governments are basically using it to push their agendas, then they say this and you are still upset?

I truly believe that people will be angry at the government no matter what they do. Restrictions, no restrictions, doesn't matter. Where is the rejoicing in here that the government has given up on containing this?