Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 pmI listen to cknw
I like CKNW but I miss Linda Steele. Steele and Drex was awesome. My other issue is commercials on AM radio especially CKNW are just so long and annoying. Ok sometimes they drone on about bike lanes and similar issues but still...I wish there were more talk radio stations like it.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

The problem with all news nowadays is there is no actual investigative journalism. It's all cut and paste from online sources. Also because many of these news stations are owned by these big corps who are clearly on one side of a political party, and they dictate what can be aired. It's not like the old days when John was younger.
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Hound wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:37 pm The problem with all news nowadays is there is no actual investigative journalism. It's all cut and paste from online sources. Also because many of these news stations are owned by these big corps who are clearly on one side of a political party, and they dictate what can be aired. It's not like the old days when John was younger.
Crystal radios. :lol:
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:38 pm I like CKNW but I miss Linda Steele. Steele and Drex was awesome. My other issue is commercials on AM radio especially CKNW are just so long and annoying. Ok sometimes they drone on about bike lanes and similar issues but still...I wish there were more talk radio stations like it.
Drex wore out his welcome, although the shift is good 10p.m. till 2a.m. l catch it at work.
Although the same callers over and over, the format is loose and entertaining for nighttime radio. I do stream Coast to Coast with George Noory now that's entertaining.
I miss Al Davidson. :lol:
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 pmI listen to cknw
I listen to CFUN, oh wait that contest doesn't exsist anymore. :lol:
CYCW station
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

This is interesting. Frighting...
Who do we trust?
https://twitter.com/Lukewearechange/sta ... 1381568516
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Hound wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:05 pm This is interesting. Frighting...
Who do we trust?
https://twitter.com/Lukewearechange/sta ... 1381568516
Wow! I told you to be concerned it's all to weird.
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

The vaccines have done their job of keeping people out of the hospital. Yes a vaccinated person can spread the virus. I think that was always expected. But the more vaccinated people, the less the illness and the more we can get on with our lives.

I also find it interesting how he didn't specify his stance on masks. we know for certain that masks greatly reduce droplets from spreading, but don't necessarily protect the wearer. Why are we still questioning masks? If they don't stop your droplets then you're using a defective mask.

Most of his points were from the disinformation playbook IMO but that is one man's opinion.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:42 pm The vaccines have done their job of keeping people out of the hospital. Yes a vaccinated person can spread the virus. I think that was always expected. But the more vaccinated people, the less the illness and the more we can get on with our lives.

I also find it interesting how he didn't specify his stance on masks. we know for certain that masks greatly reduce droplets from spreading, but don't necessarily protect the wearer. Why are we still questioning masks? If they don't stop your droplets then you're using a defective mask.

Most of his points were from the disinformation playbook IMO but that is one man's opinion.
Agree, good point Kells.
CYCW station
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:42 pm The vaccines have done their job of keeping people out of the hospital. Yes a vaccinated person can spread the virus. I think that was always expected. But the more vaccinated people, the less the illness and the more we can get on with our lives.

Some terms today - like this one - are really in vogue.

Most of the time the intent behind the usage is likely correct but in some cases it's so obviously a clouded attempt at cracking down on "dissent"... i.e. other opinions, or those questioning data/the status quo, even if they can be backed/proven by stats or by other means.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:30 am Some terms today - like this one - are really in vogue.

Most of the time the intent behind the usage is likely correct but in some cases it's so obviously a clouded attempt at cracking down on "dissent"... i.e. other opinions, or those questioning data/the status quo, even if they can be backed/proven by stats or by other means.
I think it's in vogue because disinformation is in vogue. But you can call it something else if you like. The gentleman in the video is presenting biased information and half truths. " Masks don't stop the virus" has been disproven time and time and time again. So he goes intentionally vague because yes, masks don't protect the wearer. But that is not the purpose of the mask and hasn't been since day 1. It's to protect others. But he doesn't specify that because using vagueness is a tactic.

He sounds like a smart guy and I absolutely want to hear all sides but as with everything else out there, don't believe everything you see on the internet. Especially things titled in such a click-baity fashion. That's just one man's opinion. ;)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:29 pm I think it's in vogue because disinformation is in vogue. But you can call it something else if you like. The gentleman in the video is presenting biased information and half truths. " Masks don't stop the virus" has been disproven time and time and time again. So he goes intentionally vague because yes, masks don't protect the wearer. But that is not the purpose of the mask and hasn't been since day 1. It's to protect others. But he doesn't specify that because using vagueness is a tactic.
First and foremost, the primary aim of wearing masks is to protect one's self before others - yes, the consequence of mask wearing ultimately can protect others but I should point out that's also a vagueness tactic we see used time and time again.

Secondly, all masks aren't 100% effective - those that do come close (ex. n95s) are not in wide usage, with many instead wearing surgical or cloth... hence one could also accuse others attempting to deflect from this point of presenting similar "biased information and half truths".
PortKells wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:29 pm He sounds like a smart guy and I absolutely want to hear all sides but as with everything else out there, don't believe everything you see on the internet. Especially things titled in such a click-baity fashion. That's just one man's opinion. ;)
Completely agree. :thumbup:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:55 pm First and foremost, the primary aim of wearing masks is to protect one's self before others - yes, the consequence of mask wearing ultimately can protect others but I should point out that's also a vagueness tactic we see used time and time again.

Secondly, all masks aren't 100% effective - those that do come close (ex. n95s) are not in wide usage, with many instead wearing surgical or cloth... hence one could also accuse others attempting to deflect from this point of presenting similar "biased information and half truths".

Completely agree. :thumbup:
I should be clearer I guess. Cloth masks are mainly beneficial for others around you. N95s are obviously most protective for both parties but as you say those aren't as widespread. Now cloth masks offer some protection to the wearer, even if you get some virus it can lessen the viral load you get and give your body a better chance.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

The official covid fatality rate is 1.16%,which is based on confirmed covid cases. But what's the rate of bc residents that died from covid ?
Answer : .035%
I haven't looked up the stats but my guess is that the percentage is extremely low compared to other diseases . Having said that I realize the very low rate is somewhat skewed due to lockdowns,restrictions,vaccinations,etc , but nonetheless that's a pretty low number, just sayin.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm