Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Yup Ontario is back to or will be back to 50% capacity for sporting events, holy crumbs 17 personnel from the Flames have Covid.
I hope the Knucks don't get re infected. :roll:
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 pm I'm not signing up for pfizers loyalty card , I don't need a new toaster.
But on a serious note I'm good for a while as I just got my 2nd shot a couple of weeks ago, having said that I highly doubt if I will ever get a booster, it just seems never ending putting something foreign into our bodies with unknown future side effects, if any.
It's not foreign that is a weird myth that's been spread. These new vaccines have been studied for decades. I'll take any and all boosters necessary just like the fly shot, tetanus, etc.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:16 am It's not foreign that is a weird myth that's been spread. These new vaccines have been studied for decades. I'll take any and all boosters necessary just like the fly shot, tetanus, etc.
Sorry ,don't want anything to do with the fly shot... Seen this movie before.

Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Keep the fear alive, along with the ability to justify prolonged or new restrictions, which will eventually become normalized, continuing the same cycle we've seen over the past 2 years. :wave:

Govts will do anything to stay in power and are happy to remain frontmen bankrolled by the big corps and ultra wealthy who still make profits at levels never seen before, continuing the same cycle we've seen over the past 2 years. Win-win for them. :thumbup:
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

Typeing3 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:49 pm Keep the fear alive, along with the ability to justify prolonged or new restrictions, which will eventually become normalized, continuing the same cycle we've seen over the past 2 years. :wave:

Govts will do anything to stay in power and are happy to remain frontmen bankrolled by the big corps and ultra wealthy who still make profits at levels never seen before, continuing the same cycle we've seen over the past 2 years. Win-win for them. :thumbup:
I only liked this post because this is true, not because I like what's going on. Just wanted to make that clear.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

VanCitySouth wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:28 pm I only liked this post because this is true, not because I like what's going on. Just wanted to make that clear.
Homestly, I already had my suspicions of how this situation would be taken advantage of by those in power after the first couple months. It's comical and sad at the same time to see some things originally deemed as conspiracy drivel come true over time, one by one. And become normalized, mostly driven by the same constant rhetoric that only drives more underlying fear.

I've always been fairly cynical of the entire system and our future. Many things that have happened over the last two years have only aided in furthering that cynicism. IMO, at the very least everyone should at least be alarmed at the predicament we find ourselves in today (about many things and not just COVID), a position that should not be dependent on what "side" you're on.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by VanCitySouth »

Typeing3 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:46 pm Homestly, I already had my suspicions of how this situation would be taken advantage of by those in power after the first couple months. It's comical and sad at the same time to see some things originally deemed as conspiracy drivel come true over time, one by one. And become normalized, mostly driven by the same constant rhetoric that only drives more underlying fear.

I've always been fairly cynical of the entire system and our future. Many things that have happened over the last two years have only aided in furthering that cynicism. IMO, at the very least everyone should at least be alarmed at the predicament we find ourselves in today, a position that should not be dependent on what "side" you're on.
Aye, truer words have not been spoken. I also was wary early on of how this situation would be used. Sadly, this tendency bleeding from the more authoritarian regimes into so called "western liberal democracies" is exactly what transpired. I thought, but I hoped not.
2023-24 season stats:

PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:29 pm Sorry ,don't want anything to do with the fly shot... Seen this movie before.

Haha whoops.

To be honest I'm sick of it too. I'm just not in on the idea it's a government conspiracy. They need the economy going that's how they get elected. They have two polarized sides to balance here as well. Governments definitely suck but I do believe the virus is just that much of a problem.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:48 pm Aye, truer words have not been spoken. I also was wary early on of how this situation would be used. Sadly, this tendency bleeding from the more authoritarian regimes into so called "western liberal democracies" is exactly what transpired. I thought, but I hoped not.
What response would you prefer like to see to this? I don't say this aggressively I just am genuinely curious.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:54 pm Haha whoops.

To be honest I'm sick of it too. I'm just not in on the idea it's a government conspiracy. They need the economy going that's how they get elected. They have two polarized sides to balance here as well. Governments definitely suck but I do believe the virus is just that much of a problem.
No one is claiming this is a government conspiracy. However, most governments will obviously do anything to stay in power and take advantage of any situation that can help them do just that. The media is a great tool as well, hammering home the same rhetoric and new waves of fear.

It also doesn't help that behind the scenes of both the government and the media are the groups that have by far benefited the most from things like lockdowns - large corporations and the ultra wealthy.

In our current state as a society, it's essentially impossible that we see a large united force of people asking "qui bono" when there are continuous waves of new fear, gradual incorporation of authoritarianism (many aspects of which much of the population are happy to follow or even cheerlead, even when it is to the obvious detriment of those visibly affected the most) along with increasing divisions in society.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Flames up to 18 infected welp Knuckles went through that last season and never recovered. I don't wish that on any team but it's as shame for the team and fans they were off to an awesome start.
Join us next season
CYCW station
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Typeing3 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:28 pm No one is claiming this is a government conspiracy. However, most governments will obviously do anything to stay in power and take advantage of any situation that can help them do just that. The media is a great tool as well, hammering home the same rhetoric and new waves of fear.

It also doesn't help that behind the scenes of both the government and the media are the groups that have by far benefited the most from things like lockdowns - large corporations and the ultra wealthy.

In our current state as a society, it's essentially impossible that we see a large united force of people asking "qui bono" when there are continuous waves of new fear, gradual incorporation of authoritarianism (many aspects of which much of the population are happy to follow or even cheerlead, even when it is to the obvious detriment of those visibly affected the most) along with increasing divisions in society.

Thankfull for people like you saying how it is in a gracious way.
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by VanCitySouth »

PortKells wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:56 pm What response would you prefer like to see to this? I don't say this aggressively I just am genuinely curious.
Honestly at this stage, the non-compliant will remain non-compliant despite whatever restrictions you throw their way. All we're doing by extending and extending and knee-jerking to every new variant is punishing the people with common sense to the benefit of those who don't. At the end of the day, there will always be excuses to extend/re-implement/put in place new restrictions. I don't mean to sound callous, I really don't, but we need to be realists here. The people who follow advice and want to keep hospitals working will continue to practice good habits. Those who don't will continue to not. It's time to let the chips fall where they may, because we have got to learn to live with this thing.

Fear is control. Those driving the fear narrative are not limited to government. Media has a lot to do with it. Especially social media. This is not how I want to live, and it's not how I want the world around me to live. What if this drags on for 5 years? 10? Because it will if we let it, and we are letting it.

I want to say, this isn't about left or right. You sound pretty progressive. I, too, espouse many of the values of social justice and progress, albeit probably from a far more religious angle than you. I'm not a raving lunatic from the fringe right. But the pandemic scary cancel our lives forever narrative is not advancing the cause of the common man, and it's obvious for all to see. The rich are getting richer, and poor poorer, and they're using this as an excuse to keep many people suppressed.
2023-24 season stats:

SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am Honestly at this stage, the non-compliant will remain non-compliant despite whatever restrictions you throw their way. All we're doing by extending and extending and knee-jerking to every new variant is punishing the people with common sense to the benefit of those who don't. At the end of the day, there will always be excuses to extend/re-implement/put in place new restrictions. I don't mean to sound callous, I really don't, but we need to be realists here. The people who follow advice and want to keep hospitals working will continue to practice good habits. Those who don't will continue to not. It's time to let the chips fall where they may, because we have got to learn to live with this thing.

Fear is control. Those driving the fear narrative are not limited to government. Media has a lot to do with it. Especially social media. This is not how I want to live, and it's not how I want the world around me to live. What if this drags on for 5 years? 10? Because it will if we let it, and we are letting it.

I want to say, this isn't about left or right. You sound pretty progressive. I, too, espouse many of the values of social justice and progress, albeit probably from a far more religious angle than you. I'm not a raving lunatic from the fringe right. But the pandemic scary cancel our lives forever narrative is not advancing the cause of the common man, and it's obvious for all to see. The rich are getting richer, and poor poorer, and they're using this as an excuse to keep many people suppressed.
Unfortunately Vanman, l've got some of those as co workers l have to deal wirh everyday, they B*tch and whine that their rights are being violated cause they chose their democratic right not to get vaxxed, l chose my rights to get vaxxed so l can lead some sort of normalcy with life.
Too each his own and l don't have a problem with one's decision but vwhen it starts affecting friendships at work its getting absolutely ridiculous and some people take it to the extreme with their comments, what kind of world are we living in now. :crazy:
Join us next season
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

VanCitySouth wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 am Honestly at this stage, the non-compliant will remain non-compliant despite whatever restrictions you throw their way. All we're doing by extending and extending and knee-jerking to every new variant is punishing the people with common sense to the benefit of those who don't. At the end of the day, there will always be excuses to extend/re-implement/put in place new restrictions. I don't mean to sound callous, I really don't, but we need to be realists here. The people who follow advice and want to keep hospitals working will continue to practice good habits. Those who don't will continue to not. It's time to let the chips fall where they may, because we have got to learn to live with this thing.

Fair points and I'm happy to hear your perspective. Now I am personally not driven by the fear narrative if that is what is occurring. However from an individual perspective I must also be aware that I have many elderly family members and am friends, family or acquaintances with quite a few immuno compromised individuals. I don't fear this new variant and I believe the vaccines are doing wonders but at the end of the day if I slip up I could harm somebody I love.

I think I haven't done a good enough job of understanding that most people aren't like me in this way. I understand the perspective that "I will be fine, I'm young and strong". But my fear comes from how that attitude can unknowingly create chains of transmission that cause heartbreak down the line. So if that means I'm falling for a fear driven media narrative where the goal is to capitulate society to the will of the upper class ...maybe I'm falling for it. But I can't help thinking that is far oversimplified and doesn't take all perspectives into account.

My other argument is that part of what you guys are saying just sounds to me like crony capitalism. The big businesses get to stay open, meanwhile things like small music clubs are shut down indefinitely. That for me is an issue that long predates COVID. Governments have been bought and paid for since the beginning of governments. Lobbying is effective.

My point still stands here though. No government can afford to be the one that allowed their healthcare system to fail. This has been attempted so many times. Look at Alberta in previous waves...they avoided doing anything until absolutely forced to, and all that happens is things get worse until the public forces their hand. Images and videos get out of ICUs it becomes politically impossible to maintain business as usual which seems to be the way people are advocating here.

To be clear I am frustrated as everyone else here. Let's hope this passes sooner than later.