Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by PortKells »

I keep thinking and or hoping this wave will fall off a cliff. The virus only has so many potential hosts. However this week's numbers have not been good.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

What happened? New case counts were declining up until 10 days ago. The narrative in the media seems to suggest that the increased numbers are due entirely to spread in schools. I'd like to see a breakdown of cases that are linked to schools vs. non school-linked cases.

The vax passes have been in effect for 17 days, so shouldn't we be seeing some results by now? I know they don't apply to schools, which is why we need to filter out the school-linked cases and examine the other cases to determine if the passports are having any impact. Have restaurants and other venues where the passports are mandated seen a decrease in cases linked to those establishments? Do they still contract trace?

I would give it a couple months, but if we can't prove the passports work, they should be scrapped. But I know that will not happen and the passports are here to stay for at least the rest of the year (and I have a feeling they will be around for much longer).

Edit: Things don't look quite as bad as the media wants us to think. Current numbers aren't much worse than we were seeing at the beginning of September.
Screenshot 2021-09-30 121604.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

A friend of mine is a nurse in at KGH, and she just informed me that they recently started testing every patient who doesn't have the vaccine passport (unless they refuse to get tested), and this is really inflating the numbers since they're catching a lot of asymptomatic patients. Often they are counting them as being hospitalized with Covid since they're in the hospital with Covid.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:21 pm A friend of mine is a nurse in at KGH, and she just informed me that they recently started testing every patient who doesn't have the vaccine passport (unless they refuse to get tested), and this is really inflating the numbers since they're catching a lot of asymptomatic patients. Often they are counting them as being hospitalized with Covid since they're in the hospital with Covid.
I'm not debating that last line but that is absolutely BS if true. Why is it so difficult to get accurate statistics in this province?!

Surely ICU numbers can't be false, and those are the most important other than maybe deaths I guess.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Abby_wx wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 pm What happened? New case counts were declining up until 10 days ago. The narrative in the media seems to suggest that the increased numbers are due entirely to spread in schools. I'd like to see a breakdown of cases that are linked to schools vs. non school-linked cases.

The vax passes have been in effect for 17 days, so shouldn't we be seeing some results by now? I know they don't apply to schools, which is why we need to filter out the school-linked cases and examine the other cases to determine if the passports are having any impact. Have restaurants and other venues where the passports are mandated seen a decrease in cases linked to those establishments? Do they still contract trace?

I would give it a couple months, but if we can't prove the passports work, they should be scrapped. But I know that will not happen and the passports are here to stay for at least the rest of the year (and I have a feeling they will be around for much longer).

Edit: Things don't look quite as bad as the media wants us to think. Current numbers aren't much worse than we were seeing at the beginning of September.
Screenshot 2021-09-30 121604.png
Schools will spread covid. You won't see many reported cases as kids get less sick, tested less, etc. Those cases will spread in the community. There will be some hospitalizations amongst children but not enough to cause panic.

I'm weirdly an optimist about covid, I think it starts to fade soon. And its weird because I'm not even close to an optimistic person, I am a doomer really. I just think that a combination of vaccination + infection SHOULD eventually leave most people with some level of immunity, and this will become like the flu. Its a logical end point of this. But you never know really. I hope I'm right.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Another hypocritical move. Unvaccinated Proffessional athletes allowed to enter Canada to play their games . :roll:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... e-athletes
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Glacier wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:21 pm A friend of mine is a nurse in at KGH, and she just informed me that they recently started testing every patient who doesn't have the vaccine passport (unless they refuse to get tested), and this is really inflating the numbers since they're catching a lot of asymptomatic patients. Often they are counting them as being hospitalized with Covid since they're in the hospital with Covid.
Makes you wonder if some of the covid hospitalization numbers have been inflated. I've heard many people who go in for completely different ailments have been counted under covid hospitalizations as they tested positive upon arrival.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Forrest Gump wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:46 pm Another hypocritical move. Unvaccinated Proffessional athletes allowed to enter Canada to play their games . :roll:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... e-athletes
Another case of one rule for the elites and one rule for the rest.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Typeing3 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 pm Makes you wonder if some of the covid hospitalization numbers have been inflated. I've heard many people who go in for completely different ailments have been counted under covid hospitalizations as they tested positive upon arrival.
That's what I've been wondering Trex is everything counted as Covid even a hang nail.
Are they trying to scare the public into getting vaxxed.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

I'm not debating that last line but that is absolutely BS if true. Why is it so difficult to get accurate statistics in this province?!
Exactly. Its utterly ridiculous and highly concerning if they are actually fabricating or at least somewhat fabricating the numbers.
Surely ICU numbers can't be false, and those are the most important other than maybe deaths I guess.
One can hope but if they are skewing the hospitalization numbers, how do we know they aren't doing it with the ICU numbers? For all we know, they could be testing all ICU patients and counting all positive tests in the daily covid numbers, regardless as to whether the test positive was asymptomatic or had mild covid symptoms.

Recently, I heard they were not including people deemed non-infectious in the covid hospitalization numbers even if they were still in the hospital.

Is it really that hard to give us accurate statistics? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

AbbyJr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:30 am Exactly. Its utterly ridiculous and highly concerning if they are actually fabricating or at least somewhat fabricating the numbers.

One can hope but if they are skewing the hospitalization numbers, how do we know they aren't doing it with the ICU numbers? For all we know, they could be testing all ICU patients and counting all positive tests in the daily covid numbers, regardless as to whether the test positive was asymptomatic or had mild covid symptoms.

Recently, I heard they were not including people deemed non-infectious in the covid hospitalization numbers even if they were still in the hospital.

Is it really that hard to give us accurate statistics? :roll: :roll: :roll:
I've been saying this for month's l really think the number's are skewed.
Unfortunately this is not going away anytime soon we've lost that opportunity for recovery. Maybe eventually but it's a perfect breeding ground for variants to keep it going.
The whole pandemic was poorly mishandled from day 1 with lockdowns to the vaccine rollout.
Do you guys recall back in January 2020 when news about Covid was beginning emerge and the news would say day after day the risk to Canadians was low l believe by then afew cases were beginning to pop up in Ontario.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Wow, the majority of those in hospital in Quebec are fully vaccinated, WTH! I wonder if this has to do with counting people as being hospitalized with Covid as opposed to counting people who are hospitalized from Covid?
FAoTCNzWQAA9XJi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:46 pm Wow, the majority of those in hospital in Quebec are fully vaccinated, WTH! I wonder if this has to do with counting people as being hospitalized with Covid as opposed to counting people who are hospitalized from Covid?

FAoTCNzWQAA9XJi.jpg
Not sure. That seems strange. In BC the vast majority are unvaccinated. Something like 85%.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

The deaths are high. Two 30-39 year olds today. That's how I know most hospitalizations and ICUs are likely fairly legit.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

As we've discussed, transparency is very important. Another key statistic which should be included in the overall provincial stats is the % of deaths, and hospitalized/ICU patients with other underlying conditions or comorbidities (ex. heart disease, obesity, etc).
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)