Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by John »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:08 pm Lock it all up again you saw this coming last week. Vaccines aren't going to get us back to normal at this rate. Unfortunately lots of businesses are going to collapse now.
I didn’t see this coming totally unnecessary imo
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:38 pm I didn’t see this coming totally unnecessary imo
I thought dining in means Tims as well. I drove through a Tims drive thru in Chilliwack tonight and there was someone sitting at a table. :o
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 am Oh they definitely suck don't get me wrong but I would consider that more of an annoyance. Plus it said people were neglecting their oral health due to not going out or because nobody can smell their breath. My main issue is mask itch, especially with having some facial hair.
:lol: sic, yeah clean hands dirty teeth.
Join us next season
CYCW station
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Ski resorts have been a big issue all winter across BC. They should have all been shut down, PERIOD. Flights in/out of Canada should have been stopped. Travel between provinces should have been stopped. Some people complain it's too restrictive, well, it NEEDS to be! Otherwise this will keep going on. If people would have obeyed we might have been at such a low number we would have had more freedoms by now but nope, selfish people who only care about the now and themselves have caused this to rage on. So they can blame themselves.
North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Exvdlv0VgAcJ5NY.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Hound wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:44 am Ski resorts have been a big issue all winter across BC. They should have all been shut down, PERIOD. Flights in/out of Canada should have been stopped. Travel between provinces should have been stopped. Some people complain it's too restrictive, well, it NEEDS to be! Otherwise this will keep going on. If people would have obeyed we might have been at such a low number we would have had more freedoms by now but nope, selfish people who only care about the now and themselves have caused this to rage on. So they can blame themselves.
I agree with you if this was a serious pandemic but it isn’t any more want proof? Today 840 cases of covid19 but NO deaths and icu down by one! Enough said.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm I agree with you if this was a serious pandemic but it isn’t any more want proof? Today 840 cases of covid19 but NO deaths and icu down by one! Enough said.
I agree that deaths are down but we've seen these variants killing more and more young people in other places where they originated and they've only just started to take hold here. Also the deaths are only down because of vaccines. And many of the people opposed to restrictions are also opposed to vaccines which makes less than zero sense.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:33 pm Exvdlv0VgAcJ5NY.jpeg
:lol:
Join us next season
CYCW station
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:56 pm I agree that deaths are down but we've seen these variants killing more and more young people in other places where they originated and they've only just started to take hold here. Also the deaths are only down because of vaccines. And many of the people opposed to restrictions are also opposed to vaccines which makes less than zero sense.
Yes the deaths are down because of vaccines. Vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable and let the rest live a normal live the virus will never go away completely
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:56 pm I agree that deaths are down but we've seen these variants killing more and more young people in other places where they originated and they've only just started to take hold here. Also the deaths are only down because of vaccines. And many of the people opposed to restrictions are also opposed to vaccines which makes less than zero sense.
That's a pretty scathing generalization. The vast majority are not opposed to vaccines but there's many reasons why some people may not get a covid vaccine specifically.

a. They've already had covid
b. They're among the extremely low risk groups (under ~65 with no preexisting health conditions) and do not see the point
c. Most of the covid vaccines (pfizer, moderna, etc) use non-traditional technologies (mRNA) and have been pushed through very quickly so there's understandably some skepticism surrounding the long term effects

And anyways, most people who may pass up the opportunity to get vaccinated now will probably be required to at some point for international travel. There's precedent there with some countries already requiring a yellow fever vaccine for example.

I've heard some calls to make it mandatory for domestic travel too (ex. going to the grocery store, theatre, restaurants or traveling between provinces), but something like that would likely never make it past parliament or the supreme court. Trudeau and Horgan have also indicated they're against implementing that type of system too citing equity and freedom issues.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm That's a pretty scathing generalization. The vast majority are not opposed to vaccines but there's many reasons why some people may not get a covid vaccine specifically.

b. They're among the extremely low risk groups (under ~65 with no preexisting health conditions) and do not see the point
c. Most of the covid vaccines (pfizer, moderna, etc) use non-traditional technologies (mRNA) and have been pushed through very quickly so there's understandably some skepticism surrounding the long term effects

And anyways, most people who may pass up the opportunity to get vaccinated now will probably be required to at some point for international travel. There's precedent there with some countries already requiring a yellow fever vaccine for example.

I've heard some calls to make it mandatory for domestic travel too (ex. going to the grocery store, theatre, restaurants or traveling between provinces), but something like that would likely never make it past parliament or the supreme court. Trudeau and Horgan have also indicated they're against implementing that type of system too citing equity and freedom issues.
T3 I've dug through many corners of the internet. The Qspiracy anti vax movement has a massive following. From what I've seen, the vaccine skepticism doesn't originate from the reasons you outlined but from the same mass hysteria you talked about previously.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

Typeing3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm That's a pretty scathing generalization. The vast majority are not opposed to vaccines but there's many reasons why some people may not get a covid vaccine specifically.

100% agree
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm T3 I've dug through many corners of the internet. The Qspiracy anti vax movement has a massive following. From what I've seen, the vaccine skepticism doesn't originate from the reasons you outlined but from the same mass hysteria you talked about previously.
I don't doubt what you've seen or heard from experience, but that is fairly anecdotal. What I listed are rational and understandable reasons as to why there may not be 90%+ vaccination rates (rates which are not needed for herd immunity due to elevated levels of natural immunity at this point), however I do think the majority will get the jab when its their turn.

Yes, there may be an anti-vax movement, but that doesn't necessarily mean many of those who refuse the covid vaccine subscribe to the ideals of these specific groups. I think the main problem witnessed in our society (especially today) is grouping everyone into boxes even when we've had limited exposure to their thoughts or ideas. Even acknowledging that most people who self-identify in groups (like the left or the right) are free thinking and differ in opinions regarding certain issues. For example, a few months ago you thought John may have an anti-labour stance given his perceived right leaning views but to your surprise he indicated exactly the opposite.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:36 pm100% agree
l agree that John agrees 100% as well. :shifty:
Join us next season
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:20 pm I don't doubt what you've seen or heard from experience, but that is fairly anecdotal. What I listed are rational and understandable reasons as to why there may not be 90%+ vaccination rates (rates which are not needed for herd immunity due to elevated levels of natural immunity at this point), however I do think the majority will get the jab when its their turn.

Yes, there may be an anti-vax movement, but that doesn't necessarily mean many of those who refuse the covid vaccine subscribe to the ideals of these specific groups. I think the main problem witnessed in our society (especially today) is grouping everyone into boxes even when we've had limited exposure to their thoughts or ideas. Even acknowledging that most people who self-identify in groups (like the left or the right) are free thinking and differ in opinions regarding certain issues. For example, a few months ago you thought John may have an anti-labour stance given his perceived right leaning views but to your surprise he indicated exactly the opposite.
Medium long post warning *

Yes, what I've seen is fairly anecdotal. Like you said on a previous page, not every anecdote is false. I've spent way too much time combing through different reddit pages, facebook pages, comments on media, CKNW callers, opinion pieces on different media outlets. I try to take in all sides. Why do I do this? I don't know...not much going on and very curious about what people are thinking in this day and age.

All I'm saying is that there is a significant portion of the population that believes complete and total Bogus. You even posted an article that suggested mass hysteria is taking hold, well I'm suggesting that applies to this alt right crazytown, not just leftists, and let me be clear, it applies to so many leftists too. God I hate the left vs right paradigm...it is so useless. But anyways, here we are.

What I'm saying is not that crazy. in recent years we've seen Brexit and the election of Trump, two mindbogglingly damaging decisions driven by lies and manipulation. I'm saying Disinformation is taking over in communities. Church communities, yoga moms, online gaming forums, just to name a few. That explains why we have Qanon, anti mask rallies and ultra woke SJWs. That explains why I've seen people suggesting that putting masks on kids is "child abuse". Its an online propaganda war out there and the truth is having a hard time surviving. Canada appears to be more moderate and I admit I am thankful for that. I am guilty of consuming too much American content just because it is just so...fascinating.

Are some folks still holding out because of MRNA technology? Yes. I've seen those debates. But most of us plebs don't have the slightest clue what that means. Couldn't tell you what any of M, R, N or A stands for. I trust that these vaccines and their risks are far preferable than the risk of getting covid, and passing it on to older relatives. That seems reasonable, and not driven by media manipulation and fear tactics. Other people think that the vaccine will be used to track you, that it will sterilize you, that it will cause autism, etc. That is what concerns me. To say that many of these folks are opposed to any and all actions taken against Covid, we'll agree to disagree.

I believe I remember generalizing John. My apologies, again. To be fair, he came out in a pretty hard stance against an entire profession completely unprovoked and I read it at a bad time I guess. The internet has been a place of my so many misjudgements in the past few years and I doubt I'm alone in that.