Covid Pandemic

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Re: Covid Pandemic

Post by Bonovox »

I had to get tested on Monday as I woke up with cold like symptoms. It was not a pleasant experience, but thankfully I tested negative.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Well folks, here is our daily update. Remember to please stay calm, be kind and...

Dec 2nd Covid-19 Update - Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 834 new cases, total now of 34,728; 337 (+1) hospitalized of which 79 (+3) are in ICU; 8,941 (-145) active cases; 24,424 (+650) recovered; 12 additional deaths, total now of 469

10201 (+78) people who are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases
9164 (+174) cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
22007 (+529) cases in the Fraser Health region
1899 (+66) cases in the Interior Health region
659 (+20) cases in the Island Health region
905 (+45) cases in the Northern Health region
94 (+0) cases of people who reside outside of Canada

1334 (+4) active cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
6527 (+97) active cases in the Fraser Health region
569 (+34) active cases in the Interior Health region
267 (+20) active cases in the Island Health region
240 (-10) active cases in the Northern Health region

Also to note, an interior based adult hockey team decided to live their lives and go to a tournament in Alberta. You can guess how that turned out. An utterly disastrous and potentially deadly decision by them.

So it appears things might be levelling off a bit here in the Lower Mainland, especially VCH. Glad to see Northern health saw a decrease, but Interior and Island not so good.

For me, I've been looking at a scenario thats starting to loom: Our neighboring province's impending health care collapse. They may come calling for assistance and soon, and that might put even more strain on BC. This could be even worse with a frigid cold winter in Alberta as is predicted. I've read that some BC towns access their major health care needs in Alberta, like Fernie for example. Many Albertans may choose to escape the chaos and cold and come out this way. Any thoughts on this and could we actually see border closures?!
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:56 pm Oh my. The USA is at 2000 deaths ALREADY today with many still to report. That coupled with the Thanksgiving spike is getting to be very intense. I don't know what to say about the USA right now. They need that vaccine asap.
Yet Manitoba has a MUCH higher death rate per 1 million people than all of the USA. Remember us has 330 million people!
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:39 pm Well folks, here is our daily update. Remember to please stay calm, be kind and...

Dec 2nd Covid-19 Update - Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 834 new cases, total now of 34,728; 337 (+1) hospitalized of which 79 (+3) are in ICU; 8,941 (-145) active cases; 24,424 (+650) recovered; 12 additional deaths, total now of 469

10201 (+78) people who are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases
9164 (+174) cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
22007 (+529) cases in the Fraser Health region
1899 (+66) cases in the Interior Health region
659 (+20) cases in the Island Health region
905 (+45) cases in the Northern Health region

1334 (+4) active cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
6527 (+97) active cases in the Fraser Health region
569 (+34) active cases in the Interior Health region
267 (+20) active cases in the Island Health region
240 (-10) active cases in the Northern Health region

Also to note, an interior based adult hockey team decided to live their lives and go to a tournament in Alberta. You can guess how that turned out. An utterly disastrous and potentially deadly decision by them.

So it appears things might be levelling off a bit here in the Lower Mainland, especially VCH. Glad to see Northern health saw a decrease, but Interior and Island not so good.

For me, I've been looking at a scenario thats starting to loom: Our neighboring province's impending health care collapse. They may come calling for assistance and soon, and that might put even more strain on BC. This could be even worse with a frigid cold winter in Alberta as is predicted. I've read that some BC towns access their major health care needs in Alberta, like Fernie for example. Many Albertans may choose to escape the chaos and cold and come out this way. Any thoughts on this and could we actually see border closures?!
Alberta’s problems aren’t really that much different than BC. Kenny gets picked on a lot by the media because he’s conservative which is sad this not political it’s health care.
Example: Kenny says vaccine
Won’t be mandatory and the media is all over him for all the usual reason like anti science, right wing wacko etcetera etcetera.
Yet Bonnie Henry said the exact same thing today “vaccines will be available for those who want them”. Media: crickets.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Not every single thing is a media conspiracy. And you know what, the media conspiracy card has become a cop out. Is it even possible for conservative leaning governments to make mistakes and be reported on these days without being immediately written off as liberal media bias?

I see lots of criticism of BC's response, Canada's response, etc. CKNW is more than happy to question Bonnie's methods or Trudeau. CBC has run stories about Trudeau's corruption and dishonesty, and recently his vaccine handling. The National Post exists, as well as other centrist or right leaning publications. I certainly wish media didn't have any political leanings and just gave the facts, but that's not the world we live in and its been this way a long time. But I'm getting way off topic.

Its what the health care system and front line workers are saying. Its the fact that they have now requested a field hospital anticipating a surge of hospitalizations. They are double bunking ICU beds. Its that Alberta doctors are now RATIONING O2. Again, they are rationing oxygen. These things aren't happening here, at least yet. Do you have any facts that I should look at that would show me a less bleak picture?

Here's a link I can show you from a fairly right leaning application.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/al ... m-capacity
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:52 pm Not every single thing is a media conspiracy. And you know what, the media conspiracy card has become a cop out. Is it even possible for conservative leaning governments to make mistakes and be reported on these days without being immediately written off as liberal media bias?

No not everything is fake news in fact very little is. But a lot of CBC opinion pieces are very left leaning that is for sure!

I see lots of criticism of BC's response, Canada's response, etc. CKNW is more than happy to question Bonnie's methods or Trudeau. CBC has run stories about Trudeau's corruption and dishonesty, and recently his vaccine handling. The National Post exists, as well as other centrist or right leaning publications. I certainly wish media didn't have any political leanings and just gave the facts, but that's not the world we live in and its been this way a long time. But I'm getting way off topic.

Trudeau has done a terrible job with covid19 imo but most/all provinces have done the best they could have done including bc ndp.

Its what the health care system and front line workers are saying. Its the fact that they have now requested a field hospital anticipating a surge of hospitalizations. They are double bunking ICU beds. Its that Alberta doctors are now RATIONING O2. Again, they are rationing oxygen. These things aren't happening here, at least yet. Do you have any facts that I should look at that would show me a less bleak picture?

It’s close to the same hospitalizations as bc as you know

Here's a link I can show you from a fairly right leaning application.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/al ... m-capacity
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:12 pm
Alberta hospitalizations 504, ICU 97
Bc hospitalizations 337, ICU 79

Definitely not the same, although not great here obviously. Health care workers in BC are stressed and the system is frayed, but Alberta has already cancelled surgeries with Christmas gatherings still to come, and (not their fault) a potentially frigid winter ahead. You don't want to be operating a field hospital in a blizzard and -30 temperatures and power outages and whatever else 2020 can throw at you. I really hope this doesn't come to fruition John, please understand that. This is a pandemic and I always entertain the worst case scenarios.
https://www.macleans.ca/society/health/ ... -practice/
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:36 pm Alberta hospitalizations 504, ICU 97
Bc hospitalizations 337, ICU 79

Definitely not the same, although not great here obviously. Health care workers in BC are stressed and the system is frayed, but Alberta has already cancelled surgeries with Christmas gatherings still to come, and (not their fault) a potentially frigid winter ahead. You don't want to be operating a field hospital in a blizzard and -30 temperatures and power outages and whatever else 2020 can throw at you. I really hope this doesn't come to fruition John, please understand that. This is a pandemic and I always entertain the worst case scenarios.

I always look for positives that is our difference I guess
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 pm I always look for positives that is our difference I guess
Fair enough John. I respect your opinions and I hope your positive outlook is the correct one. Hope you and all of us can stay safe.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Another good news bad news day today. Bonnie is obviously really choked at that hockey team and so are sports teams across the province that are now shut down. ICU reached a new record. I'll say the ICU thing is not a surprise. Now the cases did not increase which is great news. Its too early to call a trend but Fraser Health is slowly stabilizing, however the interior is continuing to trend the wrong way.

As per the last few, taken from Reddit. Thank you to the Reddit Vancouver and Reddit BC subs for these listing these detailed breakdowns.

12 deaths - 481

New 694 - Total 35422
24928 Recovered
VCH (9164)+114
FH (22007)+465
Int (1899)+82
Island (659)+10
North (905)+23
Non-res (97)+0
Hosp/ICU (337/77) 325/80 <= New ICU record
Active (8941)9103
Isolated (10201) 10849

Adrian Dix says Dr. Henry will be commenting Monday on whether the orders will be extended. Also sounds like it's a message to reporters not to ask about it today. #bcpoli

On bed capacity, Health Min. Adrian Dix says BC at 87.8% base bed capacity overall in hospitals and 70.6% of surge
Compared to last year this time we were at 103.5% of base bed capacity

10849 (+648) people who are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases
9278 (+114) cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
22472 (+465) cases in the Fraser Health region
1981 (+82) cases in the Interior Health region
669 (+10) cases in the Island Health region
928 (+23) cases in the Northern Health region

1328 (-6) active cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
6652 (+125) active cases in the Fraser Health region
608 (+39) active cases in the Interior Health region
277 (+10) active cases in the Island Health region
235 (-5) active cases in the Northern Health region
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:05 pm Another good news bad news day today. Bonnie is obviously really choked at that hockey team and so are sports teams across the province that are now shut down. ICU reached a new record. I'll say the ICU thing is not a surprise. Now the cases did not increase which is great news. Its too early to call a trend but Fraser Health is slowly stabilizing, however the interior is continuing to trend the wrong way.

As per the last few, taken from Reddit. Thank you to the Reddit Vancouver and Reddit BC subs for these listing these detailed breakdowns.

12 deaths - 481

New 694 - Total 35422
24928 Recovered
VCH (9164)+114
FH (22007)+465
Int (1899)+82
Island (659)+10
North (905)+23
Non-res (97)+0
Hosp/ICU (337/77) 325/80 <= New ICU record
Active (8941)9103
Isolated (10201) 10849

Adrian Dix says Dr. Henry will be commenting Monday on whether the orders will be extended. Also sounds like it's a message to reporters not to ask about it today. #bcpoli

On bed capacity, Health Min. Adrian Dix says BC at 87.8% base bed capacity overall in hospitals and 70.6% of surge
Compared to last year this time we were at 103.5% of base bed capacity

10849 (+648) people who are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases
9278 (+114) cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
22472 (+465) cases in the Fraser Health region
1981 (+82) cases in the Interior Health region
669 (+10) cases in the Island Health region
928 (+23) cases in the Northern Health region

1328 (-6) active cases in the Vancouver Coastal Health region
6652 (+125) active cases in the Fraser Health region
608 (+39) active cases in the Interior Health region
277 (+10) active cases in the Island Health region
235 (-5) active cases in the Northern Health region
Thanks for the update P. K.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Dec 4:

11 deaths, 711 new cases, 338 hospitalized (+13), 76 ICU (-4), 9,050 active (-53).
143 new cases in VCH, 427 in FH, 81 cases in Interior Health, 10 in Island health, 50 in Northern Health.
Cases per million:
VCH - 120.2, FH - 237, VIH - 12.5, IH - 106.3, NH - 166.7

Some good news in here, some concerning trends mainly in Northern Health and interior health. Northern Health has apparently started flying patients out to Island Health ICU's, and Prince George's Hospital is suffering an outbreak. This is as those of us who know that region know there isn't a lot of health care available outside of P.G. It would be really sad if it started spreading to even smaller communities up and around there, especially places that aren't in great situations to begin with.

But as John mentioned, its a good time to focus on the good news right now. We should be celebrating Island health's numbers, Vancouver Coastal Health's numbers, and even Fraser's deceleration this week. And BC announced its plan to vaccinate starting as soon as the start of January. So as far as the LM and Island go, hopefully we keep up the good work. A lot of people are sticking with it and staying home, or being safe when they are out.
Last edited by PortKells on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Whoa. Mark Donnelly fired from the Canucks for performing at an anti-mask rally.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:06 am Whoa. Mark Donnelly fired from the Canucks for performing at an anti-mask rally.
:silent:
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

John wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:42 am:silent:
I wouldn't say he's been silenced. He's still well within his rights to sing there. The Aquilini's are also exercising their right to no longer use his services. This is another example of how freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.