June 2021 Forecasts And Discussions

Weather reports, analysis etc. pertaining to Southern BC.
Bonovox
Elevation: 280 Ft

Re: June 2021 Forecasts And Discussions

Post by Bonovox »

Sardisbcwx wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:35 pm That's it Lytton's weather station is no more unreal.
I think the weather station is the least of anyone’s concern. Homes are being lost. I just hope everyone was able to evacuate.
Spring/Summer :sick: Fall/Winter :thumbup:

Delta (Sunshine Hills) - Elevation: 280 feet

Wx Station: https://tempestwx.com/station/41362/grid
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Bonovox wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 pm I think the weather station is the least of anyone’s concern. Homes are being lost. I just hope everyone was able to evacuate.
That's true.
The 6th annual alzheimer's snowfall contest
:team: Canoodles record: 44-18-8
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :wtf:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

John Hawkings, the director of recreation sites and trails with B.C.'s Ministry of Forests, says despite the wildfire risk, the backcountry won't be closed for the Canada Day long weekend.

"Closing the forest is not as simple as putting up a fence," Hawkings said Wednesday to Chris Walker, the host of CBC's Daybreak South.

"We have thousands of recreation sites and bike parks and places that people get out to enjoy, and it's a healthy activity," he continued. "Closing the backcountry is an extreme measure."

There you have it. Let's go burn the whole ****er down.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Mattman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:45 pm The heatwave in 1936 had a higher death toll in Canada. The weather throughout the 30's (late 20's - early 40's) was another animal. People would be beside themselves if that was repeated. I think we need to some context despite the historic heat.

There were also those of us also concerned about the potential death toll. I helped a friend with an A/C as recently as last Wednesday as it wasn't well known to this person how historic this was going to be. I mentioned here last week when EC issued the heat warning that meteorologists and the media have cried wolf so many times, we're numb to it. Even a nominal deviation from average is slapped with a warning or a SWS with media throwing around hyperbole. Such warnings should only be issued when there's an imminent threat to life and the potential for a profound disruption in life. Even hanging on to the heat warning on the coast after the dangerous weather has passed is a misuse of these warnings and waters down the danger of a real emergency. I.e. The inconvenience of 30cm of snow is just that... an inconvenience. That should merely be a travel advisory, not a "snowfall warning" or "winter storm warning." When the media and EC and others are throwing "emergency" around ad nauseam, the public is numb to the dangers of an acute a real imminent emergency.
I very much agree a warning needs to mean something. I was advocating for a state of emergency declaration but only because a heat warning is so meaningless at times. But either way I think this event warranted extreme measures and not just in retrospect.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

Mattman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:45 pm The heatwave in 1936 had a higher death toll in Canada. The weather throughout the 30's (late 20's - early 40's) was another animal. People would be beside themselves if that was repeated. I think we need to some context despite the historic heat.

There were also those of us also concerned about the potential death toll. I helped a friend with an A/C as recently as last Wednesday as it wasn't well known to this person how historic this was going to be. I mentioned here last week when EC issued the heat warning that meteorologists and the media have cried wolf so many times, we're numb to it. Even a nominal deviation from average is slapped with a warning or a SWS with media throwing around hyperbole. Such warnings should only be issued when there's an imminent threat to life and the potential for a profound disruption in life. Even hanging on to the heat warning on the coast after the dangerous weather has passed is a misuse of these warnings and waters down the danger of a real emergency. I.e. The inconvenience of 30cm of snow is just that... an inconvenience. That should merely be a travel advisory, not a "snowfall warning" or "winter storm warning." When the media and EC and others are throwing "emergency" around ad nauseam, the public is numb to the dangers of an acute a real imminent emergency.
I think one of the main differentiating factors between this extreme (and unprecedented - just check out those numbers and anomalies) heatwave with those experienced in the 30s is technology and life expectancy. Back then, the elderly population (>80) was just a mere fraction of what it is today hence our vulnerable population both percentage and raw numbers wise is huge now. But that difference could be offset with child mortality in that era (between 80 and 125 deaths per thousand in the 30s) compared with now (5 per thousand).

On the technology front - there were no A/C's back then so that obviously played a part in elevating the death toll back then. Factor in quality of life - hygiene upon countless other things - and the average death rate was already elevated to levels we do not see today.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

North Surrey/Fraser Heights
Elevation - 85 M./278 Ft.
:eatyum:
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

Storm
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by Storm »

North Burnaby/Burquitlam
Elevation - 64 M./210 Feet
Canada Goose
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 11 m

Post by Canada Goose »

That's terrible... :(

I drove from PoCo to Summerland today. Very strong winds in Hope. The heat was very intense beyond the Sunshine Valley or so. After Princeton it was like in hell, almost as hot as on Monday when I was in Lytton. I had up to 48°C (car thermometer, not accurate...) just after Hedley. On Monday, in Lytton, I had up to 50°C. I'm in Summerland for 5 days and today was the hottest day ever here with 44.7°C! 44.2°C in Penticton. Insane heatwave. No words to qualify it.
Leighbugs

Post by Leighbugs »

Why is lightning tracker showing strikes near Abbotsford? I have an app on my phone and it's detecting numerous strikes but nothing on radar?

I am just so upset about what's happening in Lytton. Devastating.
Leighbugs

Post by Leighbugs »

See? My app was notifying me about lightning. I'm confused. Nothing on radar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hound
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Hound »

My guess is the map overlay is wrong. There are lightning strike happening in Quesnel right now.