Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Re: Politics

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Anyone think Kevin Falcon will bring the BC Libs back to life? personally l think it was an excellent choice.
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Heard go fund me took away the protesters 10 mil. apparently people can get a refund or it will go to charity.
They've got another one going on a different site and it's up to 2.4mil. :lol: it's like a carnival l heard a band was playing saunas were brought in :lol: bbq's going, the Terry Fox monument has flowers on it now after being de faced last week.
The reporter said he can't sleep air horns going at all hours.
Join us next season
CYCW station
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:17 am Anyone think Kevin Falcon will bring the BC Libs back to life? personally l think it was an excellent choice.
He's got the stain of that previous liberal government on him, kind of like when adrian dix tried to run for the NDP but he couldn't escape his Glen Clark past.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:17 am Anyone think Kevin Falcon will bring the BC Libs back to life? personally l think it was an excellent choice.
Agree with what PK said - don't think that was the right choice. He's got connections with the previous BC Liberal gov't that many people do not look back on with good taste. I think Ellis Ross would've been a better pick for leader.

As it stands with Falcon as leader of the BC Liberals, I would expect another Horgan win (barring any major scandal) should he continue as NDP leader in the next election.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:30 pm Finally something I could sink my teeth into and someone I could get behind.

https://youtu.be/5ZaVfEHxs30
He definitely has more charisma than previous conservative candidates. And I like some of the stuff he says.

But I find it very dubious that he could do much about inflation. It's everywhere and it's not because of one single politician but a whole insane financial system. Unless he plans to bring that down, he will be stuck with the same conditions.

Or is he going to try to cut social spending and privatize everything? Because I don't think Canada will go for that again after Harper.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

PortKells wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:36 am He's got the stain of that previous liberal government on him, kind of like when adrian dix tried to run for the NDP but he couldn't escape his Glen Clark past.
O.k. l'm not a huge political junkie so wasn't entirely sure on the Falcon nomination but if you look at it that way it makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out Kells l'll retract my thought that it was an excellent choice. :oops: yourself and Tpie are more knowledgeable with respect to the political landscape John as wel TBH. :thumbup:
Join us next season
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:00 pm He definitely has more charisma than previous conservative candidates. And I like some of the stuff he says.

But I find it very dubious that he could do much about inflation. It's everywhere and it's not because of one single politician but a whole insane financial system. Unless he plans to bring that down, he will be stuck with the same conditions.

Or is he going to try to cut social spending and privatize everything? Because I don't think Canada will go for that again after Harper.
I was thinking the other day that both Canada and USA lack good ,genuine, thoughtful, intelligent ,well spoken leaders. My son n law really likes Pierre. As far as finances are concerned Covid lockdowns and payouts has blown the budget so far out of the water in Canada and most countries that I don't know what anyone or any party can do but keep spending. The debt is so astronomically high all around the world what is another zero or two or three amongst friends. What comes after trillion? I guess we'll just have to look forward to the Anti-Christ , one world government, one world financial system, and more freedoms taken away...but I digress.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:17 am I was thinking the other day that both Canada and USA lack good ,genuine, thoughtful, intelligent ,well spoken leaders. My son n law really likes Pierre. As far as finances are concerned Covid lockdowns and payouts has blown the budget so far out of the water in Canada and most countries that I don't know what anyone or any party can do but keep spending. The debt is so astronomically high all around the world what is another zero or two or three amongst friends. What comes after trillion? I guess we'll just have to look forward to the Anti-Christ , one world government, one world financial system, and more freedoms taken away...but I digress.
How soon before we go cashless or digital currency heard rumblings about that.
Join us next season
CYCW station
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:45 am How soon before we go cashless or digital currency heard rumblings about that.
It's an interesting thought but not likely in our lifetimes. The Bank of Canada and other central banks are fiat money holders/creators and based on my experience (I work at one of the Big 6) they are not ready for this either structurally (seriously bank software is ancient!) or culturally.
The federal and provincial governments download anti-money laundering and terrorist financing supervision to the banks and banks are not sophisticated enough yet to monitor and track digital currency on a global scale. In my opinion, until they can comfortably control, track and tax digital currency society will still use fiat currency.

on a more practical scale I suppose we could go to a 'cashless" society and simply use debit/credit but again, not every financial institution is ready for that. we are very used to debit here as an example, but not all countries have adopted it. Then you have the issue of people, usually those who have been incarcerated or who have abused the system to the point where a financial institution will refuse service, who actually can't keep bank accounts or credit cards, they tend to operate with physical cash by necessity.

so yeah, maybe in our kids/grandkids life but not likely in ours.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

moonshadow0825 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:30 am It's an interesting thought but not likely in our lifetimes. The Bank of Canada and other central banks are fiat money holders/creators and based on my experience (I work at one of the Big 6) they are not ready for this either structurally (seriously bank software is ancient!) or culturally.
The federal and provincial governments download anti-money laundering and terrorist financing supervision to the banks and banks are not sophisticated enough yet to monitor and track digital currency on a global scale. In my opinion, until they can comfortably control, track and tax digital currency society will still use fiat currency.

on a more practical scale I suppose we could go to a 'cashless" society and simply use debit/credit but again, not every financial institution is ready for that. we are very used to debit here as an example, but not all countries have adopted it. Then you have the issue of people, usually those who have been incarcerated or who have abused the system to the point where a financial institution will refuse service, who actually can't keep bank accounts or credit cards, they tend to operate with physical cash by necessity.

so yeah, maybe in our kids/grandkids life but not likely in ours.
Interesting thanks for your thoughts, l was going to say yes we are in a sense cashless l mean my pay is deposited l use debit for purchases. I rarely carry cash but who does now adays at the risk of getting mugged.
However the most l carry is 20 bucks and that's for emergency mostly for Tim's or Mc Dees or say the ATM or debit is down when fueling up or l have on occasion pulled up to Tim's or McDees and they say cash only.
Join us next season
CYCW station
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Lets hope this Ukraine situation get's resolved John, the worst tension since the Cuban missle crisis of 62. IMO
Join us next season
CYCW station
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:48 am Lets hope this Ukraine situation get's resolved John, the worst tension since the Cuban missle crisis of 62. IMO
I doubt Russia will attack but time will tell
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:55 am I doubt Russia will attack but time will tell
Well l don't trust that Biden John he seems to be fanning the flames by saying an attack is imminent it's war mongering. IMO
Last edited by SouthSardiswx on Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join us next season
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:45 am How soon before we go cashless or digital currency heard rumblings about that.
https://twitter.com/backtolife_2019/sta ... XIiU5t2HQQ
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:30 pm Finally something I could sink my teeth into and someone I could get behind.

I like what Pierre is saying. I would vote Conservative under his leadership, but I'm skeptical that he could stop inflation or fix the housing disaster. The Liberals just renewed the Bank of Canada's mandate for the next five years, so there's not much a Conservative government could change in terms of monetary policy. As for housing, there are some policy measures they could use on the fiscal/demand side, but many of those would be highly controversial: increasing the mortgage stress test, taxing home equity, banning foreign buyers (which Trudeau already promised then forgot about), reducing immigration levels and phasing out the CMHC are just a few options. Increasing the supply of homes would also help, but that falls mostly under provincial and municipal jurisdictions.

Pierre seems like the obvious choice to people who understand economics, but it's hard to say whether he could break through to mainstream Canadians. The laptop class loves Trudeau and his tough-on-COVID stance, and many of them have been secretly thriving during the pandemic. They are happily working from the homes they own, and won't vote for anyone who might threaten their home equity.

Adult children living in their parents' basement is unfortunate, but multi-generational living is the norm is most other parts of the world. Parents can just tap into their home equity and build them a legal suite or a laneway house.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm