Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Re: Politics

Post by VanCitySouth »

PortKells wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:49 pm 2 Days to go. Is anybody else sh***ing their ****ing pants? This is massive with implications for the entire globe. I'm not sure people grasp that yet. Then again, Biden winning is really not the real answer to anything so I don't know what I'm invested in really. I just can't handle another four years of the orange lunatic.
We should start a prediction thread knowing full well that the results on election night will mean bugger all :lol:
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

PortKells wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:49 pm 2 Days to go. Is anybody else sh***ing their ****ing pants? This is massive with implications for the entire globe. I'm not sure people grasp that yet. Then again, Biden winning is really not the real answer to anything so I don't know what I'm invested in really. I just can't handle another four years of the orange lunatic.
Yes, this scares me like no other election ever has. he's crazy and stupid enough to pull some tin pot dictator stuff and laugh while doing it. if nothing else convinced me was his tweet last night applauding people who tried to run the bus off the road.
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
VanCitySouth
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 72 m/236 ft

Post by VanCitySouth »

moonshadow0825 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:52 am Yes, this scares me like no other election ever has. he's crazy and stupid enough to pull some tin pot dictator stuff and laugh while doing it. if nothing else convinced me was his tweet last night applauding people who tried to run the bus off the road.
His demeanor has proven him to be an extremely petty man without a shred of human decency. That evangelical America (and remember, I consider myself a conservative evangelical) has looked to him as a moral leader is, to me, the ultimate example of the blind leading the blind. He has probably done more to debase the church than any man this century.
2023-24 season stats:
Climo :cancel: 81 to 44 :14clown: GFS

Season total: 39.0 cm + 3 traces
Peak depth: 28.0 cm (Jan 17)
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Interesting. I've been baffled myself how many Christians can follow a man who has so blatantly repudiated the ideals in the Bible. Glad to hear there are those who resist it. And I would hope that the same would happen if such a character represented the policy views of atheists like myself but lacked the moral and ethical judgements needed to lead a nation.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

Being from south of the border, I can’t stand the thought of another four years under the Mango Mussolini. Realistically, all the evidence from the polling points to him probably losing today. Emotionally, I still have PTSD from 2016.
It's called clown range for a reason.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:08 pm Interesting. I've been baffled myself how many Christians can follow a man who has so blatantly repudiated the ideals in the Bible. Glad to hear there are those who resist it. And I would hope that the same would happen if such a character represented the policy views of atheists like myself but lacked the moral and ethical judgements needed to lead a nation.
Hat's off to you and your belief in atheism. In my opinion it takes much much more faith to believe in No God, that earth and all its life forms,including the intricacies and complexities of the human body, somehow exist because of a total fluke and accident, compared to believing in God- Designer and Creator of all things. If you ever decide that there's a lack of love, hope,peace and fulfillment in atheism may I suggest reading The Case for Christ, based on a true story about an atheist journalist or you can sit back and watch the movie by the same name,released in 2017.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:52 pm Hat's off to you and your belief in atheism. In my opinion it takes much much more faith to believe in No God, that earth and all its life forms,including the intricacies and complexities of the human body, somehow exist because of a total fluke and accident, compared to believing in God- Designer and Creator of all things. If you ever decide that there's a lack of love, hope,peace and fulfillment in atheism may I suggest reading The Case for Christ, based on a true story about an atheist journalist or you can sit back and watch the movie by the same name,released in 2017.
Honestly thank you for reaching out. That to me is what this debate could be like in what basically amounts to an alternate universe at this point. You showed how to actually discuss things.

Atheism has come to me fairly hesitantly...I wanted to believe in something. I went to a few Christian conversion fishing camps when I was younger and I have to say, they were effective. I went from a born and raised atheist to somebody who had a copy of the bible in my bedroom in my young teens. But in the end, nothing happened for me, and you know what? I think that is totally fine. I think that christianity and other faiths should stop seeing popularity as one of their goals, but to increase the quality of life for those who already aspire to their principles. Does this make any sense? I'm pretty wasted (Its election night, FFS)

The one thing I would contend with is to say that, why can't a fluke be something worth being inspired by? If say the chance that life managed to form and become a being like us randomly is exceedingly low, then I think that the scientific basis for us to have evolved into where we are is pretty cool. It gives us a moral imperative to follow keep following down that path of evolution towards a more equitable, higher quality of life and happer species, society, or whatever you want to call this. Whether by religion or otherwise, I think that is a reasonable goal to aspire to, collectively. That's why I find this political theatre of us vs. them to be so utterly useless. Surely there are common goals that all can aspire to. But that is a tall order at this point.
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Trump declared victory. What a joke.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

PortKells wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:08 pm Interesting. I've been baffled myself how many Christians can follow a man who has so blatantly repudiated the ideals in the Bible. Glad to hear there are those who resist it. And I would hope that the same would happen if such a character represented the policy views of atheists like myself but lacked the moral and ethical judgements needed to lead a nation.
This is a very interesting and complicated question. Black and Hispanic Christians do tend to repudiate Trump (as they do other Republicans) while white Christians vote Republican in higher numbers, including for Trump. The reason for this is that white Christians are more pro-capitalism than Hispanic (well, not Cuban -- hence the huge surge for Trump in Cuban areas of Florida, but other Hispanic) Christians.

Almost no one, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, or anything else, votes based upon a person's moral character, or least no one puts much weight into it. If you have two people with are similar political views, you and I will vote for the guy with better moral character, but if your option is between a good guy with great character but bad policies that will make people suffer and a dirty bag who understands economics and how to create policies that help people, you will vote for the dirt bag.

For example, Rob Ford, who was a dirt bag, crack smoking conservative in Toronto was extremely popular because many people thought his policies were so great that they ignored his character flaws, even people who aren't right-wing like him.

As for the US election, it's almost certain that Biden wins, but don't worry, in 2024, the 81 year old Biden and the 78 year old Trump can have a re-match because there haven't been enough old white guy presidents. haha! Trump says he's in... https://nationalpost.com/news/if-trump- ... visor-says
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Glacier wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:42 pm This is a very interesting and complicated question. Black and Hispanic Christians do tend to repudiate Trump (as they do other Republicans) while white Christians vote Republican in higher numbers, including for Trump. The reason for this is that white Christians are more pro-capitalism than Hispanic (well, not Cuban -- hence the huge surge for Trump in Cuban areas of Florida, but other Hispanic) Christians.

Almost no one, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, or anything else, votes based upon a person's moral character, or least no one puts much weight into it. If you have two people with are similar political views, you and I will vote for the guy with better moral character, but if your option is between a good guy with great character but bad policies that will make people suffer and a dirty bag who understands economics and how to create policies that help people, you will vote for the dirt bag.

For example, Rob Ford, who was a dirt bag, crack smoking conservative in Toronto was extremely popular because many people thought his policies were so great that they ignored his character flaws, even people who aren't right-wing like him.

As for the US election, it's almost certain that Biden wins, but don't worry, in 2024, the 81 year old Biden and the 78 year old Trump can have a re-match because there haven't been enough old white guy presidents. haha! Trump says he's in... https://nationalpost.com/news/if-trump- ... visor-says
If Biden runs again I'll eat my shoe. Actually will he even survive the next 4 years? He's a fossil. He would have lost against somebody who wasn't so widely despised. The Democrats just keep effing it up with their choices.

I really am curious what Trump's two months swan song will look like, especially since he wasn't repudiated very strongly by the electorate. A man-child having a meltdown with access to the nukes is not something I'm particularly comfortable wtih.
moonshadow0825
Weather Nut
Weather Nut

Post by moonshadow0825 »

PortKells wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:36 pm
I really am curious what Trump's two months swan song will look like, especially since he wasn't repudiated very strongly by the electorate. A man-child having a meltdown with access to the nukes is not something I'm particularly comfortable wtih.
he'll spend it complaining, watching Fox and signing pardons for his friends & allies
:wsnow: :13snow:

Ladner, elevation 4m
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

PortKells wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:36 pm If Biden runs again I'll eat my shoe. Actually will he even survive the next 4 years? He's a fossil. He would have lost against somebody who wasn't so widely despised. The Democrats just keep effing it up with their choices.
123724786_3466447660114654_2553054700789988495_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

The good news is the fascist is on the way out of the Oval Office.

The bad news is that there are up to 70 million little fascists who still voted fascist, and did so despite the pandemic and the big fascist’s tragic mismanaging of it. Put that in your pipe and smoke it: it’s an ideology so popular that it almost won a second term despite killing hundreds of thousands with its ineptitude.

And that indicates a morally rotten society with little appreciation for liberty and a high chance of electing another fascist in the future… and the odds are the next one won’t be as incompetent as this one.
It's called clown range for a reason.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 3 Ft

Post by Weather101 »

Trump sucks and I'm not a supporter

But let's not sit here and kid ourselves like Biden is good. This was a vote to get Trump out, What is Biden's plan? Lets not forget Biden has been accused by 8 women of sexual assault and Harris who's the VP now just over a year in a half ago brought that up against him. She called him a creep for smelling young girls hair and touching them inappropriate and says we must stand up for women rights. She went as far as bringing up his accused sexual assault case and now she is running with him? That desperate to get in the white house ? It's horrible.

She also has a horrible track record of keeping innocent people in jail but that's another story.

I wish America could of done better then Trump and Biden as choices.
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠