Politics

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Re: Politics

Post by AbbyJr »

While I haven't yet heard Pierre Polievre's policies on other subjects, I fully agree with what he said in this video. :D :clap: :bravo:

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/sta ... mg2qsRmz5g
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

AbbyJr wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:14 pm While I haven't yet heard Pierre Polievre's policies on other subjects, I fully agree with what he said in this video. :D :clap: :bravo:

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/sta ... mg2qsRmz5g
For me, he's just another career partisan politician. Never held a job outside politics. He wanted the First nations blockaders arrested because of their illegality and now he completely reverses that stance. I cannot stand that kind of inconsistency, and I apply that to Justin too. Do I blame Pierre, no not really, that's just the nature of the business these days. But IMO don't be fooled by this guy and his supposed principles because he is just as much a partisan as anyone else.
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

PortKells wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:47 pm For me, he's just another career partisan politician. Never held a job outside politics. He wanted the First nations blockaders arrested because of their illegality and now he completely reverses that stance. I cannot stand that kind of inconsistency, and I apply that to Justin too. Do I blame Pierre, no not really, that's just the nature of the business these days. But IMO don't be fooled by this guy and his supposed principles because he is just as much a partisan as anyone else.
Some fair points, he will get
My vote over Justin though! That said there are other possible candidates for the the Conservative party that I could support more than Pierre.
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho
Elevation: 25M./80Ft.

Post by Typeing3 »

PortKells wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:47 pm For me, he's just another career partisan politician. Never held a job outside politics. He wanted the First nations blockaders arrested because of their illegality and now he completely reverses that stance. I cannot stand that kind of inconsistency, and I apply that to Justin too. Do I blame Pierre, no not really, that's just the nature of the business these days. But IMO don't be fooled by this guy and his supposed principles because he is just as much a partisan as anyone else.
I think Pierre is handling this situation well and I completely agree with his stance wanting these restrictions and mandates to be dropped. He most certainly isn't consistently spewing extremely divisive rhetoric, like Justin has been called out for recently, not only by the opposition but even by two liberal MPs.

With that said, you do make some good points with him being a career politician and the inconsistency regarding supporting one protest over another. Specifically I am skeptical of how genuine his support is for the working class given he represents one of the wealthiest ridings in the country.
:typing: :type3:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
#MrJanuary :geek: 8-)
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Lots of press yesterday and today about the second Liberal MP who came out publically as a skeptic regarding some of Trudeau's recent rhetoric and the party policy in handling the covid situation.
Screenshot_2022-02-10-00-01-32(1).png
Screenshot_2022-02-10-00-03-07(1).png
Screenshot_2022-02-10-00-02-33(1).png
Screenshot_2022-02-10-00-02-12(1).png
Screenshot_2022-02-10-00-04-10(1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

I think it's awesome seeing our young members involved in political interests they are after all our voice in the future. :thumbup:
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Hawk
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 320/3024

Post by Hawk »

Meh..politics. the people can never win against the establishment :think: :think:
MAYDAY MAYDAY! We need some warm sunny weather this month. Some showers mixed in would be good too :thumbup:
Willoughby Langley at ~320ft / Similkameeeens ~3400ft
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Typeing3 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:17 pm I think Pierre is handling this situation well and I completely agree with his stance wanting these restrictions and mandates to be dropped. He most certainly isn't consistently spewing extremely divisive rhetoric, like Justin has been called out for recently, not only by the opposition but even by two liberal MPs.

With that said, you do make some good points with him being a career politician and the inconsistency regarding supporting one protest over another. Specifically I am skeptical of how genuine his support is for the working class given he represents one of the wealthiest ridings in the country.
That's just it. The current situation feels like a lay up as support fades for Justin and the mandates. But when it comes to actually governing a country he will run into the same core issue, and that is division. Ive always felt it was easier to be an opposition leader and look good than actually being in power.

You can play to your base but eventually you have to find some common ground especially amongst centrists.

I do want to reiterate that this is not his doing or his fault and he is merely playing the game that's in front of him and he appears to be good at it. Justin Trudeau was the same before the reality of the PM job happened.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 70 m / 230 ft

Post by Rubus_Leucodermis »

Let’s do a little math here. The most recent Canadian federal election was under a year ago. The general politics of the protests are right up the alley of People’s Party, so let’s assume that all their voters are behind them. That’s about 5% of the electorate. The Conservatives polled 34%, but not all of them back the protests. Just listen to Ontario Premier Doug Ford, a pretty conservative Conservative, to prove that point. But let’s be generous and assume ⅔ of them do. That’s ⅔ of 34% or 23%. Add the earlier 5% to that and you have 28%.

Where is the “freedom” in letting 28% call the shots and telling the other 72% (who support COVID-19 policies distinctly more organized and interventionist than the 28%) to go lump it?
It's called clown range for a reason.
Abby_wx
Elevation: 157m (515ft)

Post by Abby_wx »

Rubus_Leucodermis wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:26 pm Let’s do a little math here. The most recent Canadian federal election was under a year ago. The general politics of the protests are right up the alley of People’s Party, so let’s assume that all their voters are behind them. That’s about 5% of the electorate. The Conservatives polled 34%, but not all of them back the protests. Just listen to Ontario Premier Doug Ford, a pretty conservative Conservative, to prove that point. But let’s be generous and assume ⅔ of them do. That’s ⅔ of 34% or 23%. Add the earlier 5% to that and you have 28%.

Where is the “freedom” in letting 28% call the shots and telling the other 72% (who support COVID-19 policies distinctly more organized and interventionist than the 28%) to go lump it?
I forgive you for thinking that, but Canada is not the same as the USA where people are polarized between Dems and Reps and tend to have opinions that closely align with their party on all issues. Most people in Canada are not loyal to a specific ideology, so you'll find that support for many issues crosses party lines.

It's better to rely on polling than just guessing what people support based on political affiliation.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8610727/ipso ... wa-canada/
An Ipsos poll published Thursday and conducted exclusively for Global News showed that nearly 46 per cent of Canadians say they “may not agree with everything” the trucker convoy says or does, but the frustration of protesters is “legitimate and worthy” of sympathy.
:dragon:

Fall/Winter 2023/24
Low min: -16.6C (Jan 12th)
Low max: -9.9C (Jan 12th)
Snowfall: 8.0 cm
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Abby_wx wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:54 pm I forgive you for thinking that, but Canada is not the same as the USA where people are polarized between Dems and Reps and tend to have opinions that closely align with their party on all issues. Most people in Canada are not loyal to a specific ideology, so you'll find that support for many issues crosses party lines.

It's better to rely on polling than just guessing what people support based on political affiliation.

Exactly. And it doesn't just boil down to supporting the convoy or not either. I'd even go so far to say that a majority of Canadians (regardless of which party they usually vote for) do want an end to lockdown restrictions and mandates either right away or gradually over the next few months even if they don't personally support the convoy.

Also... even if the election was used as a gauge for who would support or not support X movement over Y movement (which it definitely should not be, for reasons stated in your post), it wouldn't be remotely close to definitive, given turnout was barely over 50%. :lol:
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Abby_wx wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:54 pm I forgive you for thinking that, but Canada is not the same as the USA where people are polarized between Dems and Reps and tend to have opinions that closely align with their party on all issues. Most people in Canada are not loyal to a specific ideology, so you'll find that support for many issues crosses party lines.

Yes, but then there’s this. At least some of those occupiers (not “truckers,” please, most truckers are vaccinated and many of those there do not drive commercial trucks for a living) want something very much like a coup against an elected (and quite recently elected at that) government.

https://canada-unity.com/wp-content/upl ... -Dec03.pdf

P.S. And that all sounds more than just a little bit Trumpy to me.
Last edited by Rubus_Leucodermis on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubus_Leucodermis
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Typeing3 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:47 pm I'd even go so far to say that a majority of Canadians (regardless of which party they usually vote for) do want an end to lockdown restrictions and mandates either right away or gradually over the next few months even if they don't personally support the convoy.
Sure, but that's quite a broad target, and quite a different thing than the stated goal of the occupiers, which is an immediate and total end to all restrictions, and in many cases an un-elected Senate and an un-elected Governor-General dismissing a recently-elected government.

As Omicron winds down, restrictions are bound to get relaxed. Then the occupiers can take credit for the sun rising.
Antares
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 5m

Post by Antares »

What are you so angry about? :wtf:

Also for the record, the leaders of the Convoy explicitly said they have no interest in internal politics, i.e. overthrowing the current government.
It always snows in December in the Kootenays :clap:
Typeing3
Weather Psycho
Weather Psycho

Post by Typeing3 »

Rubus_Leucodermis wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:09 pm Sure, but that's quite a broad target, and quite a different thing than the stated goal of the occupiers, which is an immediate and total end to all restrictions, and in many cases an un-elected Senate and an un-elected Governor-General dismissing a recently-elected government.

As Omicron winds down, restrictions are bound to get relaxed. Then the occupiers can take credit for the sun rising.
The problem with such a broad movement is the inherent participation of some crazy people as you mentioned above. Watch some of the hours-long live stream walks and it's obviously clear that the vast majority people there are not there with the intention of "occupying" or overthrowing the government but instead have fairly common sense grievances surrounding the lockdown restrictions and mandates. (regardless of their vaccination status).

Painting every single individual who attends the protest/occupation/whatever under the same brush with extremely divisive rhetoric - as the PM and most of the mainstream media has consistently done recently - is truly shameful. It's a gargantuan affront to ordinary folk who have sacrificed plenty, lost their jobs, lost their friends/family, lost their livelihoods, lost their dignity, lost some of their freedoms and been consistently scapegoated by the government and much of the media over the past two years.

It's also quite sickening that some classes of people who have had little relative change to their lives over the past couple years continue to smear, shame and smugly turn their noses up to those folk who have. Disgusting, really. It was really heartening to see Quebec Liberal MP Joel Lightbound publically point out that very fact just a few days ago, and my only hope is those comments made even a few members of those classes engage in some quiet introspection regarding some of their positions on the covid situation in the coming weeks, especially as more and more countries/regions are near-completely opening up as normal, and most importantly giving individuals free choice around things like isolation, masks and vaccination.
East Coquitlam
Elevation 25M (80Ft)