Sports Talk

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 3 Ft

Re: Sports Talk

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:16 pm Gonna disagree...Makar has been benefitting from a huge season by Mackinnon. Bouchard plays with the best player in the world. Playing with those guys will inflate your stats by a lot. Bouchard is a good defensemen but he's not an 80 point guy if he doesn't have Mcdavid doing stupid things like putting up 6 assists in a game, drawing all the defensemen to him and making his teammates wide open all the time. He's also had some insanely bad stretches and some highlight real bad defensive plays, like the other game when he dodged a hit only to see Matthews put it in 2 seconds later.

Hughes has been driving the bus for Vancouver, and the advanced stats show it. His possession of the puck dwarfs all other defensemen. he controls the game on a level nobody else comes close. And defensively that's a huge boost, he's spending his time in the offensive zone. Defensively he's playing a clean game, limiting errors and actually laying some nice hits. But mostly just keeping the puck away from the opponent.

Avs fans I've talked to have said that Makar has taken a big step back defensively and the stats bear that out. He seems to have a lingering injury and its showing. His stats are still insane which speaks to how elite he is...but I've seen avs fans themselves say that Hughes has him beat.

Josi you could make an argument for...but he's basically the same player with less points on a worse team. 4 more goals won't make up that difference IMO. This year is Hughes' year and the betting odds are overwhelmingly in his favour. Just put up another assist here as I type.
:thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All about them Cowboys !!! 🤠 🤠
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Bonovox wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:20 pm I'm an Oilers fan and I watch 80% of their games. While I agree Bouchard is not as good as Hughes, he is a pretty damn good offensive defenseman. 44 of his 79 points have come from 5 on 5 play. That's pretty impressive, regardless of who you are playing with. He's not a defender, that's why he plays with Ekholm, who has been an absolute stud since being acquired from Nashville.
He’s great and should get some top 5 votes. He’s lucky to have a partner in ekholm who can let him roam.

I do believe this is a year where the top scoring d man is also the best, unlike maybe last year. But it’s an offensive league. I think the player who drives his team the hardest should win and that stat 10 posted says it all for me. I also read his offensive zone starts are lower than the competition so he’s really tilting the ice for the Canucks.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Is McDavid coming back to get his 100th assist? As it stands now with him and Kucherov at 99 and 98, only three players have ever had more than them in a season: Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

PortKells wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:41 pm He’s great and should get some top 5 votes. He’s lucky to have a partner in ekholm who can let him roam.

I do believe this is a year where the top scoring d man is also the best, unlike maybe last year. But it’s an offensive league. I think the player who drives his team the hardest should win and that stat 10 posted says it all for me. I also read his offensive zone starts are lower than the competition so he’s really tilting the ice for the Canucks.
As expected, Bouchard isn’t getting many votes.

Makar shouldn’t even be this close, and I’m surprised there’s no love for Adam Fox, who’s been amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

There's only 1 game left in the season, and 4 teams are still in the hunt for the last spot in the east. If they all end up tied, Washington takes it even though they have the worse goal differential because they have the most regulation wins.
playoffsxx.png
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

Canucks clinched the Pacific division! Make that 50 wins! Now let's go on a deep playoff run. Go Canucks! :clap: :D
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
AbbyJr
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 50m(164ft)

Post by AbbyJr »

PortKells wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:16 pm Gonna disagree...Makar has been benefitting from a huge season by Mackinnon. Bouchard plays with the best player in the world. Playing with those guys will inflate your stats by a lot. Bouchard is a good defensemen but he's not an 80 point guy if he doesn't have Mcdavid doing stupid things like putting up 6 assists in a game, drawing all the defensemen to him and making his teammates wide open all the time. He's also had some insanely bad stretches and some highlight real bad defensive plays, like the other game when he dodged a hit only to see Matthews put it in 2 seconds later.

Hughes has been driving the bus for Vancouver, and the advanced stats show it. His possession of the puck dwarfs all other defensemen. he controls the game on a level nobody else comes close. And defensively that's a huge boost, he's spending his time in the offensive zone. Defensively he's playing a clean game, limiting errors and actually laying some nice hits. But mostly just keeping the puck away from the opponent.

Avs fans I've talked to have said that Makar has taken a big step back defensively and the stats bear that out. He seems to have a lingering injury and its showing. His stats are still insane which speaks to how elite he is...but I've seen avs fans themselves say that Hughes has him beat.

Josi you could make an argument for...but he's basically the same player with less points on a worse team. 4 more goals won't make up that difference IMO. This year is Hughes' year and the betting odds are overwhelmingly in his favour. Just put up another assist here as I type.
Very good points made. But no doubt both Hughes and Makar are superstars. Hughes is probably the best defensemen in franchise history. :clap: :D
Central Abbotsford
50m (164ft)

2022/23 season snowfall: 76.8cm

:team: :snowwindow: :snowman:
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Here is one for the Oilers fans... McDavid is just the 4th player in NHL history to hit 100 assists in a season. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr being the others.

It was 33 years ago that Gretzky last did that.
FB_IMG_1713379968432.jpg
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

AbbyJr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:32 pm Canucks clinched the Pacific division! Make that 50 wins! Now let's go on a deep playoff run. Go Canucks! :clap: :D
BAR, RAISED‼️ Jr. Man!
It doesn’t stop now.
FB_IMG_1713408192792.jpg
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider

Post by Glacier »

Nikita kucherov becomes the second player in just 2 days to hit 100 assists. So getting a hundred assists in a season is actually not that hard obviously since two players can do it in the same week.

Okay, I kid. It hasn't been done since 1991, and only three other players have had that many assists in a season, and only once before has there been more than one player in the same year...
Screenshot_20240418-060834~2.png
stuffradio
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by stuffradio »

Coyotes have been officially sold and moving to Salt Lake City
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

stuffradio wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:02 pm Coyotes have been officially sold and moving to Salt Lake City
Biteman sure gets his way :sick: l think Q city should have gotten this team IMO. waited far too long the Yotes were a bleeding team for years.
Join us next season
CYCW station
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

Glacier wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:56 am Nikita kucherov becomes the second player in just 2 days to hit 100 assists. So getting a hundred assists in a season is actually not that hard obviously since two players can do it in the same week.

Okay, I kid. It hasn't been done since 1991, and only three other players have had that many assists in a season, and only once before has there been more than one player in the same year...

Screenshot_20240418-060834~2.png
He should win the heart.
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

The Sutter Boys, can someone name them all without Google searching?
FB_IMG_1713512020684.jpg
Join us next season
CYCW station
Weather101
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Weather101 »

LA and edmonton 3rd year in a row