Sports Talk

Discuss any and everything here, like Sports, Gas Prices, Music, Faith, etc.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast
Elevation: 377 Ft. or 115 M

Re: Sports Talk

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:43 am I think 5th last would be realistic. We need Montreal and San Jose to keep putting up points. I personally doubt Arizona stays hot after they dump good players.
Didn't know Arizona had good players. Don't know who their goalie is but he's their MVP. The team consistently gets outshot by a wide margin but still manage to win some games.
Can't see Canucks catching Anaheim,so probably 4th worst is the best we can do. Apparently the top 5 draft prospects are top tier can't miss, which means the canucks will draft 6th.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

Forrest Gump wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:30 pm Didn't know Arizona had good players. Don't know who their goalie is but he's their MVP. The team consistently gets outshot by a wide margin but still manage to win some games.
Can't see Canucks catching Anaheim,so probably 4th worst is the best we can do. Apparently the top 5 draft prospects are top tier can't miss, which means the canucks will draft 6th.
:lol: Yes skipper Knackernuts never draft below 5th pick :lol: so 6th pick it is no matter if they finish 29th.
When Bill Daly turns the card over for 27th it will be the Orca even though we finish with the 4th worst record. :x
Join us next season
:team: Cannot's are Pacific Division Champs!
:gramps: Wrinkle Rockers: 43cm :cry:
:hockey: South Sardines: 57cm :trophy:
CYCW station
https://cycw.awos.live/local-weather
John
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by John »

SouthSardiswx wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:30 am :lol: Yes skipper Knackernuts never draft below 5th pick :lol: so 6th pick it is no matter if they finish 29th.
When Bill Daly turns the card over for 27th it will be the Orca even though we finish with the 4th worst record. :x
So funny Sardis hahahah
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

John wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:19 am So funny Sardis hahahah
Thanks you glad l made you laugh.
Join us next season
CYCW station
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

A couple of bummer outcomes last 24hrs , sharks losing to Vegas with 16seconds left and islanders come from behind win over the flightless birds. We need islanders to miss the playoffs..sorry Horvat. Gonna be interesting tracking them, 2 wildcard spots up for grabs between islanders,penguins,capitals,Panthers,red wings, and sabres. Maybe senators with a shot if they get hot. Speaking of hot ,red wings have won 5 straight with 4 games in hand. Oh, and buffalo has 5 games in hand on islanders.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser
Elevation: 78m

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:33 pm A couple of bummer outcomes last 24hrs , sharks losing to Vegas with 16seconds left and islanders come from behind win over the flightless birds. We need islanders to miss the playoffs..sorry Horvat. Gonna be interesting tracking them, 2 wildcard spots up for grabs between islanders,penguins,capitals,Panthers,red wings, and sabres. Maybe senators with a shot if they get hot. Speaking of hot ,red wings have won 5 straight with 4 games in hand. Oh, and buffalo has 5 games in hand on islanders.
I think the isles pick will come down to the final week or two, so I'm not too worried about them. And if they pick this year we have the opportunity to enter the season next year with an unprotected 1st from them, something that has worked out magnificently for teams like ottawa (stutzle).
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:50 pm I think the isles pick will come down to the final week or two, so I'm not too worried about them. And if they pick this year we have the opportunity to enter the season next year with an unprotected 1st from them, something that has worked out magnificently for teams like ottawa (stutzle).
Are you saying it's still islanders option even if they don't finish in bottom 12?
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:01 pm Are you saying it's still islanders option even if they don't finish in bottom 12?
No..its their option only in the bottom 12. But they would take that option if that's where they finish, Lou has a history of that with the devils where he had the option of making the 29th overall pick or deferring to the following year and he amazingly chose that late pick when there was almost zero chance they would pick as low the following year. I think he's acting as though he could die any day now to the detriment of his team's.

Personally my preference is we get the pick this year somewhere close to the 13th pick but it's a fine line. We don't want them going on a run and giving us the 25th or something.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

PortKells wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:59 am No..its their option only in the bottom 12. But they would take that option if that's where they finish, Lou has a history of that with the devils where he had the option of making the 29th overall pick or deferring to the following year and he amazingly chose that late pick when there was almost zero chance they would pick as low the following year. I think he's acting as though he could die any day now to the detriment of his team's.

Personally my preference is we get the pick this year somewhere close to the 13th pick but it's a fine line. We don't want them going on a run and giving us the 25th or something.
That's what I thought, and I think I mentioned before that my preference is to pick this year as well as long as it's below 20th,because of the deep draft.

I was just reading that canucks have been worst team since Christmas. :lol: Can't quite remember but weren't they the best team last year since Christmas? Bizzare, but if you think about it they've basically had AHL level goaltending for most of the year, which has exposed all the warts that was hidden last year with Demko's stellar performance.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
PortKells
Storm Chaser
Storm Chaser

Post by PortKells »

Forrest Gump wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:49 am That's what I thought, and I think I mentioned before that my preference is to pick this year as well as long as it's below 20th,because of the deep draft.

I was just reading that canucks have been worst team since Christmas. :lol: Can't quite remember but weren't they the best team last year since Christmas? Bizzare, but if you think about it they've basically had AHL level goaltending for most of the year, which has exposed all the warts that was hidden last year with Demko's stellar performance.
We are beyond brutal. I'm glad Bruce is gone for his sake. I just hope we can hold on to our young talent at this point. I don't know if we can unless we get a lottery win + some shrewd moves to shore up our defense and other weaknesses.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

If Columbus wins the Bedard lottery they will own 2 players who most likely will win the scoring title in their respective leagues . Jordan Dumais has similar stats to Bedard but in the Quebec junior league. Dumais drafted last year in 3rd round, this year 105pts in 48games. Bedard 103pts in 41games.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
SouthSardiswx
Donator
Donator

Post by SouthSardiswx »

I remember this game, and the story behind it.

"My opportunity to play in the NHL game came back in 1983 when Richard Brodeur was injured three days before the actual All-Star game. There was no other representative from the Canucks that year. Since Richard couldn’t make it to Long Island for the game, the powers at the time decided they would simply send the other Canuck goalie. That was me."
John Garrett had a great game, and was the favorite to win game MVP honors, which earns you a brand new car. In 1983 it was a Pontiac Silverbird.
"I had about 15 saves total up to about the six minute mark of the third period. I knew Lanny McDonald from playing with him at the World Championships one year and he kept talking to me after I'd make a save: 'Hey Cheech, you got the tires....the glove compartment.....hey, great stop. Now you've got the steering wheel.'
Then about the six minute mark Gretz scores and makes 4-2. On his next shift he scores again. 5-2. Lanny comes back to me after each goal, 'Oh oh, There go the tires...Oh oh, there goes the steering wheel.'
The very next shift 99 scores again. Now he's got the hat trick. And then he gets another goal on his next shift. I mean, he takes four shifts and scores four goals. Guess what. I didn't win the car." “I think he gave it to his uncle or something because Wayne had already won about 13 cars.”
Join us next season
CYCW station
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Connor McDavid is the 5th greatest player in NHL history (at least if measured by fewest games to 800 points)...
332799664_887705685814554_5271946669675787827_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Weather Enthusiast

Post by Forrest Gump »

Glacier wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 am Connor McDavid is the 5th greatest player in NHL history (at least if measured by fewest games to 800 points)...

332799664_887705685814554_5271946669675787827_n.jpg
Just think how many goals and points he would've got playing in the Gretzky/Lemieux/skinny goalies era.
Gumperoni 43cm
Sardineski 47cm
Glacier
Model Rider
Model Rider
Elevation: 545m/1788 ft

Post by Glacier »

Forrest Gump wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:11 pm Just think how many goals and points he would've got playing in the Gretzky/Lemieux/skinny goalies era.
The best time to score goals was 1980 to 1984. Lemieux was too late to get in on that but it was still fairly easy to score in the late 1980s and early 90s.

The end of Gretzky and Lemieux career it was just as hard to score as it is now. Actually I think it was harder to score because it's become easy the last couple years. Here is a graph I made a couple years ago. I need to update it to include the past couple of years.

FB_IMG_1677127646633.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.